[Tutorial] Orb/Glass effect...

Question

Just a question....

when i do the first step, the eclipse tool, and with the foreground black... and over the white background filled... my circle looks jaggy on the borders, and i dont know why can it be. I mean i maybe can find another way to do it, but its just a general question, cause that ussually happens to me everytime i use the bucket.

And i didnt used the bucket to fill the circle, i just did exactly how you explain it on this tutorial... anyone knows what can it be?

I did it step by step following the tut....

It looks like this...

post-31-1086843883.jpg

n00dle, I visited your site looking for more tutorials. I've seen some good tutorials and I've seen some poor ones. You lead the tutorials as someone teaching to the lowest common denomonator, which is really good for most people looking for tutorials, like myself. Any ETA on getting your tutorials on your www site?

well i fixed my first problem (the circle was just fine, i just had to click on the layer mask to see the circle clean of jaggs)

.... now... i got another problem..... on the Fifth Step... i can do the square over the orb, but when i try to put the anchor with the pen tool, i can move the anchors but the square doesnt move or change the position.... im missing something?

Please help!

thanks

n00dle, I visited your site looking for more tutorials. I've seen some good tutorials and I've seen some poor ones. You lead the tutorials as someone teaching to the lowest common denomonator, which is really good for most people looking for tutorials, like myself. Any ETA on getting your tutorials on your www site?

Id like to see this kinds of tutorials too on his website, they are really good for ppl like you or me.

But i dont know, i went to his site and couldnt find any....

So i ask you the same question. Thanks!

well i fixed my first problem (the circle was just fine, i just had to click on the layer mask to see the circle clean of jaggs)

.... now... i got another problem..... on the Fifth Step... i can do the square over the orb, but when i try to put the anchor with the pen tool, i can move the anchors but the square doesnt move or change the position.... im missing something?

Please help!

thanks

Make sure that when you create the rectangle using the Shape tool that you have the Shape Layers mode selected, as shown in this pic:

shapelayer.gif

Thanks for that metal_dragon...

GamonC and Old Oak, you guys are right I haven't uploaded my tutorials to my site yet, but as soon as I get some free time to work on my site I'l do it. SOrry about it it's just that I finished classes a couple days ago and a lot of jobs have poped out here where I live and I'm pretty busy at the moment. :/

Thanks a lot for the comments!

Later! :p

I get sort of stuck on your seventh step. You say to open the gradient editor by selecting the tool and then double-clicking on the little gradient image in the top left corner. I do this, and nothing happens. You're supposed to creating this gradient on the "Orb" layer, correct? Also if this is supposed to be completed on the Orb later, when I try to apply any type of gradient, it does not allow it. I'm using PS CS for the record.

Edited by foneroot

I keep getting 'could not use the gradient tool because the content of layer is not directly editable' in step seven, :s

Edited by Ecion

I keep getting 'could not use the gradient tool because the content of layer is not directly editable' in step seven, :s

Ya, same thing I'm getting.

You guys are right...

Aster you have the selection done, make a new layer above the orb and apply the gradient in the new layer...

It sliped my mind, I might fix it later :)

You guys are right...

Aster you have the selection done, make a new layer above the orb and apply the gradient in the new layer...

It sliped my mind, I might fix it later :)

Well, its ok bro, dont worry about it. This kind of begginers-medium tutorial, its hard to choose what to write down or not when you are doing the tut.

I mean you know what you are doing very well, but when you try to explain it, you just cant have in mind or imagine what comes out when another person read it and try to do it.

Like me, i.e. with the anchor at the bottom of the square. Those are just details... i mean, im kinda n00b with photoshop and i didnt know about those 2 aditional functions of the pen :)

Excellent tutorial by the way, i'd really like to see more of this kinds, very well explained and neat and clean.

Note: Also i have an idea... moderators should do "The definitive Neowin tutorials thread" and problem solved... ppl could go inside that thread and read aaaall the stickys ... and also we can order them into diff categories, like logos, reflexions, etc. :)

Once again ..n00dle.. you show brilliance. Well done and thanks, and you do that great undershadow, I love that effect so nice. Brilliant. :D

JMann

What font have you used in the Reflections? I need that for a bloke I am doing a music logo for? Also want Visual Style is that, I am loving it. If you could tell me, if you dont mind ..n00dle.. .

JMann