Top skins & icons of 2004

i was simply stating that other methods are becommign as easy as icon packager.. they are becomming easier and easier. but if you must know icons like my docs etc are system files resources also.. all these resources are from system files. thats why they can be changed with a shell pack. anyway i know they dont actually change the system files but they are able to make windows look elsewhere for the resource for that icon. so i hpe one day they will dig deeper and deeper.

@clubninja.. thanx but i must inform you the program isnt mine.. i just make the themes and make the scripts for the modules. the scripts are very basic and tell the program what to do. the genious behind the program is Shacal but he has since dissapeared :( so still waiting months on from a promised release date of version 2

@frogboy.. will IP be able to dig deeper into icon changes and make it a more complete effort?

cheers

Fizical

Hes not 12 I think hes 14 or 15

that still makes him very young for bringing out something that had such a big impact in the designers community. :)

,Jun 11 2004, 22:21] that still makes him very young for bringing out something that had such a big impact in the designers community. :)

Of course there is always the possibility that he's lying about his/her/it's age among other things--it is the Internet after all.

I agree with Fizical's comments about the visual styles

i think the most important thing is the skin itself not the extras that come with it like avis etc but they give you that more complete feeling. but if there were 2 skins i couldnt decide on, one had everything and one didnt then i'd probably go for the full set just because they creator had gone that extra length

In terms of the icons, I wish IP took care of almost all the icons in Windows. Actually, a few days ago I was thinking of buying a subscription (~$50) and get to use WindowBlinds, IP, etc as I was really impressed with some of the themes from GUIO (some were really amazing: kewk, vector cell, etc.).

However, I still can't find a suite that can truly change your windows machine like some of the freeware versions out there (I'm still waiting on IP to come out with the new changes). I'm sure most neowinains are familiar by now with those shell packs, but here goes:

01. Flyakite's OSX Shell Pack: http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/osx/

02. dlb's Crystal Shell Pack: http://www.crystalxp.net

03. jeromebzh's Gant 2 Shell Pack: (don't have a link for it)

There are several other great shellpacks, but I think the above three are considered by many people to truly customize the windows machine. So, similar w/fizical's comments, when can we expect IP to truly change everything?

@babis: the gant2 shell pack is what im working on for GUIR which i mentioned b4 with the 200plus icons etc. devil is also working on a shellpack version in english. both guir and shell pack will do exactly the same thing. check the icon section for the topic.

and @ mattahans age i dont think he would be lying.. just spends a lot of time on the computer doing the icons, lol

i will give you and example.. my update to my gui replacer theme replaces files in over 100 system files and im only half done with the icons at this stage but it does over 200 icons atm and that doesnt include file types for programs that dont come with windows XP because adding those only assumes that people use those programs and need the file types changed. i figure people can always change those themelves as there is always an edless number of programs that have files types that need icons. but windows has so many for itself. this even included changes as small as the internet connection traffic of the 2 monitors in the systray. it would be great if icon packager could one day dig so deep.

but i must say they has definately been an improvement from the older versions and it is becomming much better :)

IconPackager can change any shell icon on your computer. Any file type (whether you have it or not). Like I said, there are icon packages in the GUI Olympics with ~150 icons.

It doesn't change system tray icons though, I'm not quite sure how that is done (will have to look at that).

IHowever, I still can't find a suite that can truly change your windows machine like some of the freeware versions out there (I'm still waiting on IP to come out with the new changes). I'm sure most neowinains are familiar by now with those shell packs, but here goes:

01. Flyakite's OSX Shell Pack: http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/osx/

02. dlb's Crystal Shell Pack: http://www.crystalxp.net

03. jeromebzh's Gant 2 Shell Pack: (don't have a link for it)

There are several other great shellpacks, but I think the above three are considered by many people to truly customize the windows machine. So, similar w/fizical's comments, when can we expect IP to truly change everything?

Have you tried using suites for Object Desktop before?

Here is an example of a free suite:

AquaSuite.jpg

[Requires WinStyles]

In a few weeks, Theme Manager should be out which will be a freeware program that can make suites very easily.

Object Desktop can change everything (even system tray icons).

Here's a screenshot of the upcoming ObjectBar 2 changing system tray icons:

BradBl3.jpg

IconPackager doesn't change system tray icons but ObjectBar does. The only downside is that ObjectBar has to stay in memory whereas we've always tried to make it so that IconPackager doesn't use any memory at all.

It depends on the several icon trays (new hardware, Internet connections, sound volume, etc.). For example, netshell.dll will take care of the network connection icons and so on.

I realize there is an increased risk with actually changing system files (not sure how the engines of the stardock products work, but I'm guessing it is safer); however, once I apply the aforementioned shell packs, I just never have to load anything anymore. It just works "out of the box"

Maybe I just prefer the easy way out. Anyhow, sorry for going off topic. Let's get back to the original post! Good luck judges!

By the way frogboy, don't get me wrong, stardock has become synonymous with windows customization, but I have become accustomed to clicking on a single exe file, wait 10 minutes and my windows machine has a new look and feel.

Looking forward to theme manager. A quick last question, will I have to download WB,CursorXP,IP,etc, for the suites to work or once I download the theme manager, select the theme and everything just changes?

looking forward to the new object bar. i hope you can find a way to reduce memory use like you have done with windows blinds.

would it be possible for mac themes to totally emulate the mac menu one day in the future? as in some programs it doesnt adopt the menus correctly.

i think from memory photoshop may have had a problem with it.

Main problem with all those shell-replacement dll's nobody really mentioned is languages. Not everyone has an english Windows. ;) Although I wouldn't have a problem with it to understand I would hate to have mixed languages all over my XP. When using the Orion sets (most complete package to date with over 250 icons) there is really not much left uncjanged on my system. I personally see no need to replayce trayicons either...

Edited by c242

i might actually start using objectbar again. two very nice themes have been released which i really want to test. ;)

@ c242 guireplacer replaces resources in the system files and therefor does exactly the same thing as shell packs works on all versions of windows xp and all languages. even works on 2003.

i think i know those nice themes your talking about AFC, very nice ones indeed :woot:

I realize IP isn't meant to use any memory. However, instead of having to use two programs to get the main icons and then the system tray icons, I suggest (not sure if possible) to sort of combine them.

In other words, have a "warning" stating that if you want the system tray icons from the IP package, then it will have to be loaded in memory (otherwise use the regular icons and it isn't loaded in the memory). You will also need to have some preview so newcomers can understand the difference.

The aforementioned minimizes the confusion and makes it easier for skinners/icon artists to come up with one "icon package" that basically changes your icons (vs. having it spread over two programs).

You can always have an informal survey (poll on wincustomize, etc.) to ask users what they think? (two programs to change the icons, 1 is loaded into mem and the other isn't vs. 1 program that has both options)

I don't have object desktop, but I checked with someone who does (thanks Xion) and the following items aren't skinned. So here are some more areas I would love to see skinned (wish list .. i guess):

1. The icons in the task pane: To be exact, the task pane usually has three headings, tasks, other places, details. I know some of the IP packages would change the other places' icons, but so far haven't found one which changes the task icons.

2. The bmps in the wizards: For example when adding a new printer, a new hardware, etc. a wizard walks you thru it.

3. The control panel icons using "category view"

4. The BMP when you shutdown your computer in classic view (ie: disabled welcome screen)

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
I realize IP isn't meant to use any memory. However, instead of having to use two programs to get the main icons and then the system tray icons, I suggest (not sure if possible) to sort of combine them.

In other words, have a "warning" stating that if you want the system tray icons from the IP package, then it will have to be loaded in memory (otherwise use the regular icons and it isn't loaded in the memory). You will also need to have some preview so newcomers can understand the difference.

The aforementioned minimizes the confusion and makes it easier for skinners/icon artists to come up with one "icon package" that basically changes your icons (vs. having it spread over two programs).

You can always have an informal survey (poll on wincustomize, etc.) to ask users what they think? (two programs to change the icons, 1 is loaded into mem and the other isn't vs. 1 program that has both options)

I don't have object desktop, but I checked with someone who does (thanks Xion) and the following items aren't skinned. So here are some more areas I would love to see skinned (wish list .. i guess):

Hope that helps!

other icons it doesnt change:

>Some folders and the desktop icon in the save box(when u r going to d/l something) of internet explorer.

>my favorite icons (also IE) doesnt change(or well... they change but only for 1 sec)

>It would be cool if it could change the internet options icons (security and others that are in there) and many others of course that just like a plus...