[C/C++] Borland Turbo C++ on Windows XP SP1

Question

Has anyone of you ever program in C/C++ using the antique Borland Turbo C++ 3.0 (DOS program)? Have you ever run it on Windows XP SP1? I notice that whenever I use TC, my CPU utilisation goes 100% (via Task Manager) - even if I'm not doing anything. Is there any way to instruct the CPU not to go 100% while idle - maybe via the *.lnk/*.pif properties? It's really scary to see CPU goes 100% on idle, fan kicks in and notebook goes hot. :( Any clues?

13 answers to this question

For some unknown reason, our lecturer requires us to use only DOS-based C++ programming software. Then port the code into assembly for uploads to microcontroller via interface software. Maybe all DOS-based programs that runs under Windows XP SP1 will make CPU utilization level 100% even when idle. Correct me if I'm wrong. Then again, newer programming IDE's are bloat with unnecessary features, like Visual Studio

I never had that problem, I bought the program last yesr (second user obviously) and run it on Windows XP (inc sp1) and i have never noticed any performance issues. If you are that concerened though you might try using Pacific C Compiler, unless yo are using Borland Specific Code. I can't remember the link, try seraching on google, or winapi.t35.com prommis to repair the link soon

Tarl

I never had that problem, I bought the program last yesr (second user obviously) and run it on Windows XP (inc sp1) and i have never noticed any performance issues. If you are that concerened though you might try using Pacific C Compiler, unless yo are using Borland Specific Code. I can't remember the link, try seraching on google, or winapi.t35.com prommis to repair the link soon

Tarl

It not about the performanc issue though nor any problem with Borland C++ 3.0. It's just that my CPU goes 100% (via Task Manager) that scares me

DOS apps expect to be the only one running, and because of this, they can eat up CPU cycles like crazy, not yeilding to other programs and sometimes even Windows :s

DOS apps expect to be the only one running, and because of this, they can eat up CPU cycles like crazy, not yeilding to other programs and sometimes even Windows :s

Yeah, DOS was back in the day before multiprogramming was good (or even really existed). Pretty crazy they expect you to use an old DOS app too.

Ya, I guess DOS app really think they're still the boss and demands full control of CPU cycles - even when it's Windows generation already :(

Have you used compatibitity mode?

What do you mean by 'compatibility' mode? Mind explain more on this?