Lights out for Chirac

Power Workers Cut Chirac's Electricity

ASSOCIATED PRESS

PARIS (AP) -

French power workers cut electricity to President Jacques Chirac's official residence Wednesday in the latest in a series of "targeted outages" to protest government plans for the partial privatization of state utilities.

Electricity was cut to the Elysee Palace, the neighboring Interior Ministry and the famous Champs-Elysees avenue for about 15 minutes on Wednesday afternoon.

The CGT trade union, which is leading the protest, said the cuts were part of its campaign of "targeted outages of short duration" in an attempt to force the government drop plan.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/.../061607313.html

Man they could be held responsible for some serious damages caused by power outages... that seems like a really dumb way to protest to me.

Effective, maybe, but dangerous, absolutely.

Man they could be held responsible for some serious damages caused by power outages... that seems like a really dumb way to protest to me.

Effective, maybe, but dangerous, absolutely.

It was only 15min! It's a French thing to add a little "funny" touch to your protest. France is the best country in the world when it comes to strikes trust me on that!

Yeah it was only 15 minutes, but alot of damage can occur from 1 second of power outage. Lost work, ****** computer equipment, hell, if there were traffic lights in the region it could have caused accidents (i don't know much about the area affected, obviously, just giving an example).

last time i looked, the point of a strike was to attract attention by removing an essential service, like electricity. over here tube trains, fire engines, and bus people strike all the time.

last time i looked, the point of a strike was to attract attention by removing an essential service, like electricity. over here tube trains, fire engines, and bus people strike all the time.

That does not give you license to break things, even if it helps make your point.

You are right, but putting the public in danger to make your point won't help.

That does not give you license to break things, even if it helps make your point.
You are right, but putting the public in danger to make your point won't help.

::phew::

i thought for a second i was losing my mind and was the only one thinking that way...

oh well, probablly result in them getting fired....remember when Regan basically did that to the FAA workers?(oh wait...whoever was striking airplanes or something, because it interfeared with the mail service)....

I mean heck who knows how it works over there....if they do result in accidents/what not of people because they cut the power.....then they will probablly be removed by force....