Free Newsgroup Reader?

Does anyone know of a free newsgroup reader out there for the Mac? Particularly one that handles binary file decoding? Thanks

Edited by loki102

try grabit

(sorry, didn't realize it was a mac thread)

Edited by primortal

Halime is pretty nice, but it is no longer being developed. The source code is available though. MT Newswatcher is nice as well, and is still being developed. My personal favorite is Thoth, which is no longer available (the author stopped development and sales because of the level of piracy of his programs).

http://www.panic.com/unison/

It's not free but... it's pretty nice :)

Unison is OK, but it is VERY limited in functionality compared to others like MT Newswatcher and Thoth. Ask anyone in the alt.binaries.mac hierarchy what they think of it, and you will likely get a huge number of complaints about missing features.

By the way, if you visit those groups, look for Blue Dragon. That's me.

Thunderbird?

Thunderbird is a very poor choice for binaries, since it doesn't even have the capability of combining multipart binaries and it's yEnc decoding is not 100% working either.

Unison is OK, but it is VERY limited in functionality compared to others like MT Newswatcher and Thoth. Ask anyone in the alt.binaries.mac hierarchy what they think of it, and you will likely get a huge number of complaints about missing features.

By the way, if you visit those groups, look for Blue Dragon. That's me.

roadwarrior: Could you give some examples? I bought Unison a while back and it's been excellent for me - so I guess what I'm saying is I don't know what I'm missing out on.

roadwarrior: Could you give some examples? I bought Unison a while back and it's been excellent for me - so I guess what I'm saying is I don't know what I'm missing out on.

Well, you can't post binaries with it for one. It has very poor filtering. No scripting. Locked into the text/music/pictures/files sorting, so you have to keep switching between them for different things, even in the same group. In short, while it's fine for someone who downloads the occasional album or movie, it will work fine. But if you use newsgroups on a daily basis for downloading lots of different kinds of content, then you would be better off with a more powerful reader.

i've settled on using MT Newswatcher, it seems to do everything i need

Yeah, I probably would be using Newswatcher if I hadn't gotten so used to Thoth. I dread changing over after all the settings that I have "just right" in Thoth now.

i am used newsbin for the pc, when using osx though, i just get .bin files and par, do binaries work the same way with mac, i know i am missing something small, but need help. dont want to get off topic, just wondering if there is a newsreader that unrars the files or what? thanks

Anyone know of a newsreader on the Mac that supports SSL connections, besides Thunderbird? Since I've gone off-campus, they only allow secure connections from external IPs.

i am used newsbin for the pc, when using osx though, i just get .bin files and par, do binaries work the same way with mac, i know i am missing something small, but need help. dont want to get off topic, just wondering if there is a newsreader that unrars the files or what? thanks

What newsreader are you trying to use on the Mac? None automatically unrar archives, but what you really need is a program called MacPar Deluxe. Contrary to what it's name implies, it does more than just Par files, it also does Par2 and extracts Rar archives. Stuffit will also extract Rar archives.