Free Newsgroup Reader?

Anyone know of a newsreader on the Mac that supports SSL connections, besides Thunderbird? Since I've gone off-campus, they only allow secure connections from external IPs.

Not that I know of, but you might read over the pages for the different newsreaders that people have posted links to here. I've never had the need for SSL, so I've never bothered to check. You might be able to find some SSL tunneling software somewhere too. Look around SourceForge and see if you can find any SSL tunneling software for Linux. If it's a simple command line program, chances are it will compile fairly easily on OS X.

Well, there is SSH Tunnel Manager which I can use to tunnel into campus stuff, but I'd prefer not having to run a separate program :)

Unfortunately, SSL support in a newsreader isn't a commonly needed function, so few newsreader authors are going to go to the trouble of adding it. Even on Windows, there aren't that many that support it.

If you're willing to use non-native software, you can try Pan for Gnome. It's ported for the Mac, and you can get it via darwinports or fink (provided you installed X11 for Mac). I like it mostly because it is able to do post filtering/ searching and seems to perform really well in my experience (better than MT Newsreader or Halime).

Anyone know of a newsreader on the Mac that supports SSL connections, besides Thunderbird? Since I've gone off-campus, they only allow secure connections from external IPs.

Pine does, if you don't mind using a command line client

• 4 weeks later...
Agent supports Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, & XP.

Please note that this is a Macintosh forum

d'oh! sorry guys...followed the link from the front page and didn't bother to check the forum section

• 6 months later...