Norton AntiVirus 2005 Screenshots

As long as your behind a good router and have a good antivirus on your system and running firfox with adblock installed and very careful about every file you open you should very good

Yeah, but I was wondering about other people who install every spyware or adware that pops up on their screen. It would be nice if there was something built into the antivirus programs to help combat that.

If they could move away from the system hogging GUI of Norton AV, I'd go back to it. But since they don't seem to want to help users get back their computers by fixing crashing problems due to their product and not viruses, I'll stick with Symantec AV Corp. It's easier on everything (including Win98 machines)

Cheers

I have being a Symantec customer since early days back on 97... and now with the 2004 Version, with the registration and activation option that they have added to it, I have had to call the Symantec Customer Service 3 times since February when I got my System Works 2004 & Internet Security 2004 becuase it keeps cancelling my subscription... I have 3 PCs at home, and I even have 3 different Lic Keys for each one of them, and only 1 of them has gave this problem, I asked the Cust-Rep, and he told me that apparently there is another user with the same Lic Key, They are being nice so far theyhad reseted the activation amount that every Lic has back to 0, but it's just a pain in the A$$ to be on hold for almost 30-45 min to get a hold of a cust rep....

:no: :unsure:

Hi all,

I've use Norton AV for years and always swore by it, but recently I've changed my mind, see this link:-

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/erge...e_2004_02yo.php

I've currently swapped to Kaspersky Antivirus as the trial version I used found 7 Trojans that Norton didn't pick up. This has shocked me as I've always reccommended it.

Just my opinion anway.

Cheers.

Oh my god! You people are confusing, if your pointing all these bad things out about Norton Antivirus do you think i should go for something else?

Oh my god! You people are confusing, if your pointing all these bad things out about Norton Antivirus do you think i should go for something else?

you SHOULD. those people who are saying Norton is great only because they've never tried anything else. like NOD32 or Kaspersky.

I've tried Nod32, I think it sucks. Its got too many "Technical" Configuration Options, and for a general person not involved in Tech and on the market it would be confusing.

The users pointing out the problems in Norton AntiVirus 2004 more than likely are referring to some of the Default options, such as Radish mentioned, "Boot time AutoProtect". These are optional and if you disable the boot time autoprotect (No, not autoprotect all together) it will work. On the otherhand, if your using a PIRATED copy, thats more than likely why you have it slow because someone has included either a BETA or Reverse-Engineered file for the activation process which of course isnt going to produce the results as an activated official copy, so these users naturally will switch to something and say Norton sucks.

Here is a list of some of the new Norton AntiVirus 2005 Features:

-New "Manual Removal" option in Scan Window (No idea what its used!)

-New Internet Worm Blocker

-Enhanced Detection and Removal

-New version of LiveUpdate [version 2.5] (Not sure if this is for External Tests only, but it has "Avenge Microdefs" and a few other new options listed)

-I did not see an activation process at all

-Enhanced Interface

As for the users having trouble with License Keys and Norton AntiVirus 2004, a known issue with Activation caused you to have to keep reactivating. Simply call the Symantec Technical Support Line and request they reset your activations due to the restart reactivate problem.

Norton AntiVirus 2004 Restart Reactivate Issue (How to fix): Click Here

Norton AntiVirus 2005 is expected in October or November 2004

i dont like the look of the new ui changes too much.. but as long as it does its job i dont care.. ill be updating to this once its ready

god its the same as ever year a lick of paint, thing is i used too use 2003 and the protection against viruses between that and 2005 is hardly anything.

god its the same as ever year a lick of paint, thing is i used too use 2003 and the protection against viruses between that and 2005 is hardly anything.

They don't understand that we don't expect a release from them every year. Their AV program is the EXACT FKING SAME each year. And frankly, it STILL isn't able to catch a single UPX virus!

They don't understand that we don't expect a release from them every year. Their AV program is the EXACT FKING SAME each year. And frankly, it STILL isn't able to catch a single UPX virus!

They release one every year because they do add new features. Also, they and McAfee are the two largest AntiVirus distributors, therefore they BOTH release new versions every year. And dont go so far as saying there AV is the exact f'ing same...

A Few of the New Features in Norton AntiVirus 2002:

-Email Scanning

-Windows XP Support

A Few of the New Features in Norton AntiVirus 2003:

-Enhanced Email Scanning

-Instant Messenger Support

-Better worm detection

A Few of the New Features in Norton AntiVirus 2004:

-Enhanced Instant Messenger Support

-Enhanced worm blocking

-Tiny "Toasts" when scanning files

A Few of the New Features in Norton AntiVirus 2005:

-Manual Removal

-Overhaul of the GUI (not complete, but still)

-Enhanced Toasts

-Internet Worm Blocking

I think I have effectively proven you wrong. And 2004 does support expanded threats (UPX).

2002 - Email Scanning

2003 - Enhanced Email Scanning

2003 - IM support

2004 - Enhanced IM Support

2004 - Tiny Toasts

2005 - Enhanced (and presumably not so tiny) Toasts

I don't think you've proven anyone wrong!

Plus Email Scanning was around on NAV 2000 and 2001, so how it's a new feature in 2002 is beyond me! Scanning of outgoing mail was added in 2002 (or was it 2001?), so I'll give you that, but that's at best "Enhanced Email Support" and frankly something which should have been implemented before 2002!!

Hardly an "Overhaul", complete or otherwise.

post-8-1088117306.jpg

Edited by Smithee

2000 and 2001 used a completely different scan engine than 2002, thats why it was listed as a new feature in 2002. And 2003 is when Outgoing (or was it incoming) email scanning was added.

Nortan is ok. Not the worst AV in the bunch. But yea not really anything new in my humble opion. Just updates. Which should be free. Then again I've never payied for software in my life. :p

However, I love F-Prot Antivirus. Nod32 sucks. Never really liked it.

cya,

Will

This might be a stupid question for those who have the Corporate edition. Is there any renewal date for Live Update? I dont see it anywhere in Corporate edition. In the home editition of NAV, it's clear that you have the renewal date for the subscription

This might be a stupid question for those who have the Corporate edition. Is there any renewal date for Live Update? I dont see it anywhere in Corporate edition. In the home editition of NAV, it's clear that you have the renewal date for the subscription

IIRC, Corp = no renewal dates

basically i believe you have unlimited updates

I download my defs from their FTP website (ftp.symantec.com)

The people here who are saying go with AVG Free version.... did they ever fix it so the automatic updates don't go SLOW as snot? and when the program actually detects a virus, does it actually let you remove it on the spot or does it still have you run the Virus scan?

Yeah looks the same, Norton's lame.

Agreed :crazy: - I don't think I'll be buying NAV 2005 based on the features I can see in these screenshots. If we paid $5USD for every new feature in NAV2005 over NAV2004, I can see this product costing maybe $7, same <bleep> different version. :no: (N)