How good is your antivirus?

Question

Since most would like to argue bout what is the best antivirus. I decided to open this thread solely for testing your preferred antivirus. This is a compilation of a group of hackers.

*************WARNING*************

THIS IS NOT FOR THE SCAREDY CATS. THERE ARE ALL VALID VIRUSES. DO NOT OPEN THEM OR EXTRACT THEM TO ANY LOCATION. SAFEST METHOD TO TEST YOUR ANTIVIRUS IS TO SCAN THE COMPRESSED FILE. I WILL NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR YOUR ACTION.

Here's a link to download an archive file containing the viruses. READ THE WARNING BELOW BEFORE CLICKING HERE

TEST THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

If you dare to take this challenge, do post the screenshots of the antivirus in action and please do not use any Photoshoping skills to manipulate the results.

Try to post at least the following information for others to evaluate

1) Program/scan engine version (Exm NAV 2004, AVG 6 Paid Version, SAV 9.0.0.338 and etc)

2) Any settings you changed

3) Screenshots (Optional as proof)

EDIT: Contrary to the filename which tells you 455 viruses, no it is not. Actual total is 593. If your antivirus detected them all, well done.

Edited by dreamthief

Build 1300 is newer than Build 338. I'm fully updated.

Ah well, maybe it's my machine :x

Uhm... nope.... 338 is the latest. Trust me, it is the latest.

Mine is a legit copy. Symantec provided my Uni with the latest copy. I upgraded from 1300 and not the other way around.

FYI KAV is probably double counting any archives that are packed at >1 level i.e. virus in a zip & rar = 2 whereas others are counting it as 1.

Few links to other tests, it's a bit safer :D

AV Comparatives click comparatives

Rokop does a great job, impact of the app on system resources is the last several rows

http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=693

http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=757

Can anyone tell me if Kaspersky is free for personal use?  Right now I'm using Avast.

No but you can download a 15 day trial for Personal 5.0 @ www.kaspersky.com . Be sure to uninstall the other AV, current version of KAV 5.0 doesn't like being run with any other AVs installed, even if they're configured to be on-demand.

Can anyone tell me if Kaspersky is free for personal use? Right now I'm using Avast.

No it is not. Freewares are Avast and AVG, quite good ones at least.

No but you can download a 15 day trial for Personal 5.0 @ www.kaspersky.com . Be sure to uninstall the other AV, current version of KAV 5.0 doesn't like being run with any other AVs installed, even if they're configured to be on-demand.

Ah, thanks for the info!

AVG and Avast do fairly well, but you do get what you pay for. Paid AV apps generally have a better/quicker response to threats, support is better as well.

Security of my computer is one area where it generally pays not to skimp.

AVG and Avast do fairly well, but you do get what you pay for. Paid AV apps generally have a better/quicker response to threats, support is better as well.

Security of my computer is one area where it generally pays not to skimp.

True to a certain extend. That's why i am still waiting for anyone with

1) AVG Pro edition (Paid AV)

2) Pccilin (I tested it, detected all the viruses)

and perhaps other AV.

avg 6 free edition does better than avg 7 paid edition? wtf?!

lol

I also scanned with trend micro's free online scanner and it picked up 587

lol

I also scanned with trend micro's free online scanner and it picked up 587

Trend micro's free online scanner and application differs greatly. At least the scan engine.

norton 2004 corp version

afaik there is no corp version of nav. symantec's corporate av is 'symantec antivirus corporate edition.' nav is targeted at home users. I think.

afaik there is no corp version of nav. symantec's corporate av is 'symantec antivirus corporate edition.' nav is targeted at home users. I think.

Yes there is or rather there was. Before Symantec decided to rename the product line. SAV Corporate edition was known earlier as NAV corp, of course before being renamed to the current name.

yes, you can say that in a way. But the best way is always to test it!!!

One more thing to add, the best antivirus would be the ones that dont even allow you to download it. Unless you purposely turn it off (like myself).

@kitteny_berk

Yes, it would be a better idea. But bear that in mind. That eicar virus is just a test file. Every AV has already include it for their product to detect it. If the AV doesn't detect it, you might as well dump it in the trash bin.

21331-1f.jpg

:no: :whistle:

Edited by A1Capone

LOL... but you are going offtopic.  :cool:

he he he.... :no: no, I am making a point, for some people, what is more important than having a good AV, if is not up-to-date on the definitions!! Even when you have the same AV Program, they all get different results!!! ;)