How good is your antivirus?

Question

Since most would like to argue bout what is the best antivirus. I decided to open this thread solely for testing your preferred antivirus. This is a compilation of a group of hackers.

*************WARNING*************

THIS IS NOT FOR THE SCAREDY CATS. THERE ARE ALL VALID VIRUSES. DO NOT OPEN THEM OR EXTRACT THEM TO ANY LOCATION. SAFEST METHOD TO TEST YOUR ANTIVIRUS IS TO SCAN THE COMPRESSED FILE. I WILL NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR YOUR ACTION.

Here's a link to download an archive file containing the viruses. READ THE WARNING BELOW BEFORE CLICKING HERE

TEST THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

If you dare to take this challenge, do post the screenshots of the antivirus in action and please do not use any Photoshoping skills to manipulate the results.

Try to post at least the following information for others to evaluate

1) Program/scan engine version (Exm NAV 2004, AVG 6 Paid Version, SAV 9.0.0.338 and etc)

2) Any settings you changed

3) Screenshots (Optional as proof)

EDIT: Contrary to the filename which tells you 455 viruses, no it is not. Actual total is 593. If your antivirus detected them all, well done.

Edited by dreamthief

kablammo!

You are using two AV? that's like uhm.. i have no idea what to use to compare. :p

@Netaku

I'm not too sure, check the whole thread for that but i dont recall anyone tested with that.

@Something Corporate

was discussed in earlier post, Karpesky users say it is the scanning engine different approach in detecting viruses.

Heh. Any antivirus that detects all of those files as infected is flawed, and giving false positives.

Just checked them quickly, and several files are non-malware. (BBS-commercial, test files from Joe Hirst ("This program is NOT a virus, nor is it infectious"), etc, etc)

REAL tests are performed by ICSA Labs and Virus Bulletin for example.

Virii is a slang, meaning virus in general. I dont think it has been accepted into any Dictionary, not that i know of. Google the keyword "virii", a lot of sites do use it.

@darkobjects

I dont think your option is set to scan within compressed file. If it doesn't, no viruses will be detected. No AV out there is able to scan a compressed file by ITSELF. What most do is, have a sandbox where the file is extracted to reveal the contents inside. That's probably why you got that result and another reason to upgrade to never version or switch another AV product. Definitions alone isn't enough.

New viruses package? Hmm not that i know of. I posted earlier, anyone with it could open up a new thread, probably "How good is your antivirus? Part II". :)

i have it set to check within compressed files... I'm probably going to get a new version anyways

I use AVG6 free edition, I just did a definition update today, and when I scan the zip file it comes up clean.

I was under the impression that AVG scanned inside compressed files... is it an option that I have to

turn on (if so i cant find it) or does AVG free not scan compressed files?

I'm running F-Secure for Servers 5.50 build 10260 on W2k3, and it disinfected 586 files. Additionally, 7 files were detected and reported as "failed". So that means, it detected a total of 586 + 7 = 593 :cool:

Not bad at all :shifty:

f-secure_failed.jpg

post-12-1091148845.jpg

Ok, here is an update to my post on page 28. Kaspersky: 594 objects scanned, detected 587 viruses and deleted 587 viruses.

The ones still in the zip after cleaning:

config12.exe

dvir1701.exe

courier.exe

balooch.exe

4907.exe

rpart_c.exe

just to clear something up

if u have any less than 585 your av sux cuz most of these are "old" viruses

if your av can't disinfect/quarantine/delete all of them i pity u

if you have norton/mcafee/or any other bloated app, i truly pity u

I havent read every page so forgive me, but what kind of results has people gotten from mcafee home version 8. I have seen from some post lik 284 or 288, but what strange if I extract the file to a folder and scan mcafee home version 8 only detects 177. Am I the only one? And at first I couldnt even dl the whole file had to disable mcafee just to get the whole file. I even scanned with pestpatrol just for laughs and it detected several things

Anti-Virus : Nod32

Virus Database : 1.834 (20040804)

Version : 2.000.11b

Operating System : Windows XP

Service Pack : 2 v.2162

Viruses Found : 593

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Virsues Found After All Deleted : 0

Result : All Deleted and PC Secure

post-12-1091804783.png

OK I tested NOD32, F-Prot 3.15, ETrust 2005 and Panda Platinum 7.07.00 - all with the latest virus definitions and here's what they found.

Here's NOD32:

post-12-1092105740.jpg