How good is your antivirus?

Question

Since most would like to argue bout what is the best antivirus. I decided to open this thread solely for testing your preferred antivirus. This is a compilation of a group of hackers.

*************WARNING*************

THIS IS NOT FOR THE SCAREDY CATS. THERE ARE ALL VALID VIRUSES. DO NOT OPEN THEM OR EXTRACT THEM TO ANY LOCATION. SAFEST METHOD TO TEST YOUR ANTIVIRUS IS TO SCAN THE COMPRESSED FILE. I WILL NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR YOUR ACTION.

Here's a link to download an archive file containing the viruses. READ THE WARNING BELOW BEFORE CLICKING HERE

TEST THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

If you dare to take this challenge, do post the screenshots of the antivirus in action and please do not use any Photoshoping skills to manipulate the results.

Try to post at least the following information for others to evaluate

1) Program/scan engine version (Exm NAV 2004, AVG 6 Paid Version, SAV 9.0.0.338 and etc)

2) Any settings you changed

3) Screenshots (Optional as proof)

EDIT: Contrary to the filename which tells you 455 viruses, no it is not. Actual total is 593. If your antivirus detected them all, well done.

Edited by dreamthief

SAV is for corporate users, school and other organazations, whereas NAV is for personal use. According to results posted here, it seems SAV proved to be a bit better.

the original link is dead, anyone care to mirror the file, or email it to me or something, as I have a load of pc's I can test with this

i've got the files if you want them. i've excluded an entire partition from the on access scanning and i've thrown all the viruses there... pm me your email address if you're interested

McAfee VirusScan reports that it fount only 1 virus, but in fact it finds about 588 (with the 30.06.04 definitions).

McAfee could have done it better with the reporting, but... as long as it keeps you virus free, who cares?

McAfee VirusScan reports that it fount only 1 virus, but in fact it finds about 588 (with the 30.06.04 definitions).

McAfee could have done it better with the reporting, but... as long as it keeps you virus free, who cares?

Is this enterpise I'm using the latest DAT files but it only shows one file how did you get it to do that?

Pretty good.

Scanning zip file itself:

virusbs.png

or

Extracting zip file to new folder and then scan that folder:

eatitvirus.png

It found them all. :) Excatly 593 of them. :) Guess I'm pretty safe then. hehe

And it found them all in only 6secs. Pretty damn good!!!

I've attached the full report as well.

Report.txt

Edited by war

I am using SAV 9.0.0.338, Scan Engine 1.2.0.13, Virus definition 6/25/2004 Rev 19

Here's the results. Missed 5!!

post-12-1088274326.jpg

I'm using Symantec Antivirus CE as well, scan engine virus 4.1.0.15 def 6/30/2004 rev. 16, but I had to see if virus definitions 5 days ahead of dreamthief's would yield more viruses.

Firefox kept claiming the download had finished and after I retried a few times I gave up and decided to use FlashGet (44 retries). :/

Contrary to the filename which tells you 455 viruses, no it is not. Actual total is 593. If your antivirus detected them all, well done.

My AV scanned 600 viruses...

post-12-1088839641.gif

nod32_20040626 results:

Zip file itself:

nod32zip.png

Ouch that sucks.

Extracted and scanned:

nod32.png

Well it missed a few and took 19sec. compared to F-Prot Antivirus's 6sec. which found all of them.

So F-Prot Antivirus is the best!!

Norton just sucks. Not even going to bother testing it. Nor 2005 either.

On Manually allowing the file, and running a default right click scan it detected 587 virus's. Seems everyone is picking up 587/588 files. Few which are being missed out...

post-12-1088852895.jpg

Is this enterpise I'm using the latest DAT files but it only shows one file how did you get it to do that?

Tested with McAfee VirusScan Professional 7.03 and 8.0.

I'll guess the results are the same for Enterprise editions.

To test it, I extracted the archive to a tempfolder and scanned it... found 588 viruses,

don't remember how many files McAfee fixed...

McAfee is great at detecting, but the reporting is not the best...

eXtendia Antivirus AVK Pro found 587 viruses after extracting the files. It however did not not prevent the download of the file.

avk.png

AVK managed to clean 518 of the viruses, quarantine 70 and delete the rest.

Did another test with McAfee 7. It detected 588 viruses without extracting the files. It cleaned 393 viruses and deleted 194 after extraction.

Don't know why the original poster said AVK found all 593.

WIth my antivirus (McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0)

When i had set the options to delete the file automaticly, i had 5 files left:

4907.exe, balooch.exe, config12.exe, dvir1701.exe, and rpart_c.exe, but it only got it when i extracted the files to a folder.

Dunno if it is any good tho,

ChaZ

aha, i now have configured it, and it wont let me even download it :) :yes:

McAfee Detects it as: Univ/f

now im pleased :) :alien: :cool:

OK, Im freaked.

I downloaded the file and moved it to the dektop now all my desk icons are gone and my start -> programs are all gone....

When I click on the C: it says the hard drive is full so I cant access it.

What the hell happened? I didnt extract or anything...