What is Web Client Network?

I have one single computer in my home and my operating system is Windows XP Home. My ISP is Cox cable and therefore my network connection is a LAN connection. My system includes a Linksys router/firewall which is installed between my ethernet card and my Cox cable modem. I installed the router solely to use it as a firewall.

My Network Places has a sub-category named Entire Network and that sub-category has three sub-sub-categories:

(1) Microsoft Terminal Services (which is empty)

(2) Microsoft Windows Network (which contains My Workgroup)

(3) Web Client Network (which contains Www.linksys.com)

I have some questions for which I would appreciate answers from any of you:

(a) What is the Web Client Network (in simple, laymen terms)??

(b) Do I really need it or can it be deleted?

(c ) Why does it contain Www.linksys.com and how did it get there? Should it be there?

(d) How do I add or delete URLs (such as Www.linksys.com) from the Web Client Network? When I right-click on Www.linksys.com, the only available options are Expand, Open, Create Shortcut, and Properties.

Thanks in advance,

Milt Beychok

Edited by mbeychok

That is for WebDav connections

Here is everything you would ever want to know about WebDav -- http://www.webdav.org/

In simple terms - it's a file sharing protocol supported by some web servers, ie http://www.msnusers.com/ supports it - I would have to say, since your seeing www.linksys.com - that they support it too?

If you turn off the WebDav redirector (web client service) This listing should disappear from "My Network Places"

Budman:

If you turn off the WebDav redirector (web client service) This listing should disappear from "My Network Places"

Thanks very much for your help. But just how do I turn off the web client service? When I right click or regular click on the Web Client Network icon, there is no option provided for removeing or disabling the service.

Any ideas on how to do it?

Milt Beychok