Netgear MA111 on Linux

Hi pps,

I am totally new to Linux, somehow I managed to install linux on my machine with USB keyboard, and also somehow managed to start machine on lan card, but I am planning to make the machine connected to internet wirelesly, I got Netgear MA111 USB Adaptor, so how do I install that in my machine.. I got RedHat 9 Linux... I searched over internet got some links and also I download one file from linux-wlan.org and did some stuffs.. but didnt got success.. anyone have tried it? please let me know, how you done it.

lemme guess!

this is a 54Mbit Wlan device. Wich has the little cute and nice TI acx111 chip. ( hence the A111?! )

if so. look at one of he projects i initiated ( here ).

Maybe that helps.

kindest regards,

Moritz "neofeed" Angermann

It uses the prism2 chipset from what I've read, I'll check the 2.6.7 kernel for compatibility. Give me a min.

EDIT: 2.6.7 has support for it.

Device Drivers --> Networking Support --> Wireless LAN (non-hamradio) --> Hermes chipset 802.11b support (Orinoco/Prism2/Symbol)

Edited by DaNIsH

nvr mind.. I just managed to update kernel.. but got kernel panic.. lol. .anyways me gona install Fedora Core 2.. so does it's kernel got drivers for netgear ma111?

I updated kernel of my Fedora Core 2, also got installed MA111, also I can see links.. but still I am not able to surf, or not able to ping router, DHCP is not working.

would really appreciate, if someone help out how to make DHCP working? its wokring on Windows machine, but not on Linux.

I am pretty sure that I cannot help out, but if you could post the results of an /sbin/ifconfig and an /sbin/iwconfig, it might be helpful...

here is the output for ifconfig:

first one is lo.. which is localhost.. eth0 is not activated coz cable is not there.

and here is the output for iwconfig:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11-b ESSID:"*****" Nickname:"*****"

Mode: Managed Frequency:2.462GHz Access Point: 00:09:5B:9F:8B:98

Bit Rate: 2Mb/s Tx-Power:-575345664 dBm

Retry min limit:8 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off

Encryption key:off

Link Quality:90/92 Signal level:-40 dBm Noise level:-97 dBm

Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt: 0 Rx invalid frag:0

Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

ok, now everything is almost perfect.. jsut router isnt assigning IP to the wlan0

I checked with dhclient.. and its showing this

DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3

but my router got IP 10.200.0.60 and Subnet of 255.255.0.0

so that 255.255.255.255 is making any sense in this?

I also tried it with dhclient -s 10.200.0.60 but no help...

anyone?

I was wondering if this was the only place you were looking for answers...

Linuxquestions.org is definately the best place for anyone looking for a place to start w/ anything about linux.

recently I had to put a Netgear MA101 11mbps wireless hub on a Mandrake 9 installation of Linux. As you probably know, Netgear really doesn't offer much in the way of linux drivers. I found out my MA101 uses a chip made by a company called Atmel, and I found a website of people developing an opensource driver for the chip. The forums there were very useful, and eventually I got it up and running.

It doesn't look like your MA111 uses the same chip, but keep looking. I was a complete newbie, and I somehow managed to do it. :yes: I hope linuxquestions helps you. It looks like you're close. Good luck, and don't give up.