Is my Mac Address correct?

I did ipconfig /all on my PC and it said the Physical Address is all zero's.....is that correct? I thought all Mac Addresses were a combination of numbers and letters. The other PC's on my network are all like that. Can anyone help?

-Matt

I don't think so cause there is a separate line for "Physical Address" and a separate line for "IP Address"

My Ip address is fine as it is the one assigned by my server after I reserved it so I still don't know why my Physical Address reads 00-00-00-00-00-00

@matt11601, check if you have Internet Protocol TCP/IP installed

Are you replying to us using the computer that doesnt show the MAC address?

Windows 2000 / NT/XP (Home and Pro):

* Click Start / Run, then type CMD in the run box and press enter.

* Type in ipconfig/all at the prompt and press the Enter key.

* On the screen displayed locate the line labeled

* Host Name - this is your computer name (you may need to scroll up to view)

* Physical Address - The number to the right of this is your physical address. Note: An example of a valid address is 00-09-73-AF-CA-1C.

(NOTE: if you see all zero this is not a valid address and you will need to pick a different network card)

Source: How to locate the Physical Address

Linux command is ifconfig

Yes, the computer the I am using to type this message is the comp w/o a MAC Address.

My Host name is correct as it reads "basement" and this is the name I use to identify it on the network

You think I need a new NIC Card?

You probably do, try this. Go to command prompt window and type:

getmac

See what you get

edit: from command prompt also try this:

arp -a

Source: CodeGuru: Three way to get your MAC Address

An interesting way to discover what MAC addresses you know of other people on your network is to type ARP -a in a command prompt and you should get a listing that is similar to this.

Interface: 192.168.1.102 --- 0x2

Internet Address Physical Address Type

192.168.1.1 00-20-78-d9-5c-b3 dynamic

192.168.1.100 00-50-ba-b3-55-ec dynamic

192.168.1.101 00-a0-cc-7a-7d-6d dynamic

Edited by EZRecovery

typing nbtstat -a <machinename> gives me a MAC ADDRESS but it's all zeros

typing getmac gives me all zero's

typing arp -a gives me MAC ADDRESSES but for my router and my server

man this is one frustrating problem

For some NICs you can set the MAC address in the device manager ('Advanced' tab). There is also a freeware tool (forgot the name) which allows you to change your MAC address.

Anyway I wouldn't worry about it as long as you don't have another NIC like that in your network. Since you are behind a router and everything works fine you don't really need a valid(unique) MAC address.

Well see I am wondering if this is causing some problems...I currently cannot FTP to my XBOX from this machine (but I can with other comps on the network) and I cannot use EZShare with my ATI AIW card to share the TV accross the network

Edit: Since i couldn't ftp to my xbox or share TV on the network I started checking my system for something that may be wrong and this is when I found that I don't have a MAC ADDRESS and was wondering if this was the problem related to my xbox and sharing tv