Windows XP PRO x64 Edition 1218 Preview Released

well, the download link seems to be gone now so if anybody wants to post a link to a download ;)...

I don't want the french version.

Its available for Download from Microsoft over..

.. Here...

You can also order the CD there.

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition, for 64-Bit Extended Systems supports servers with:

? Up to 8 AMD Opteron processors or Intel Xeon processors with 64-bit extension technology

? Up to 64 GB RAM

Pre-release copies of this version of Windows Server 2003 are available through the Customer Preview PrograMinimum System Requirements

Minimum CPU Speed

? AMD Opteron Model 140 (1.4 GHz)

? Intel Xeon with Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (EM64T) (clock speed TBD)

Recommended Minimum CPU Speed

? AMD Opteron Model 140 (1.4 GHz)

? Intel Xeon with Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (EM64T) (clock speed TBD)

Minimum RAM

512 MB

Multiprocessor Support

Up to 8

Minimum Disk Space for Setup

4 GB

? Oracle 9i Enterprise Edition

Safe to say this ain't no workstation platform...

What are the advantages of WIndows 64 bit what new features etc?

How about this, then?

BENEFITS OF 64-BIT WINDOWS

ADDITIONAL PERFORMANCE AND SCALABILITY

Large Memory Support

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems will support up to 32 GB of RAM and 16 TB of virtual memory, enabling applications to run faster when working with large data sets. Applications can preload substantially more data into virtual memory, allowing rapid access by the 64-bit Extended processor. This reduces the time for loading data into virtual memory or seeking, reading, and writing to data storage devices, thus making applications run faster and more efficiently.

Comparison of 64-Bit and 32-Bit Architectures

Address space?..64-bit Windows?..32-bit Windows

Virtual memory.....16 TB...........?.....4 GB

Paging file........?..512 TB..........?...16 TB

Paged pool......?...128 GB........?.....470 MB

Non-paged pool.?.128 GB....?........256 MB

System cache...?..1 TB...........?......1 GB

I installed it on my computer... however i still cant find drivers for for my board lol.. its pretty stable... but cant get on the net without the ethernet drivers.. <_<

Cool screen shots (Y) Just so I can make sure that I'm not downloading something different...the file I'm downloading is win2k3SP1_1218_usa_x64fre_pro.iso. thats the correct one right? Just making sure ;)

I installed it on my computer... however i still cant find drivers for for my board lol.. its pretty stable... but cant get on the net without the ethernet drivers.. <_<

Yep, i had to install (new) 3COM 64bit drivers for my built in ethernet to get online lastnight.

What kind of ethernet card? do you have that is needing drivers?

This my rig:

ASUS: K8V Deluxe

Athlon 64 3000+ w/ 512K (L2 cache)

2 X 512 Corsair PC 3200

GeForce FX5900 /128 MB

80 GB hard drive

200 GB hard drive

Hey guys, I'm curious what build they released to the public. About a month ago the beta group got build 1218 and then quickly have a "refresh" that they labelled 1218+

"In 7/30/2004 a refresh "1218+" was posted for US English. We encourage you to download and install this build on your test machines. This build contains several bug fixes which are detailed below.

Fixed a minor graphical issue that affected windows while scrolling

Fixed several issues to increase the reliability of the build to better support IIS deployments

Fixed an issue that could cause net view to not function properly

There were no security exploits fixed in this build. All critical fixes available for Windows 2003 RTM are incorporated into 1218 and 1218+. The build number was not increased, so in order to determine if you are running the "plus" build check the date stamp on kernel32.dll is 7/26/2004. Please mention in any bug reports if you are running 1218+."

Can you guys check what date stamp that you have? I'm just curious to see if the bothered releasing the original build.

Also, have you ever seen Microsoft do this before, recompile an upgraded build but not change the build number? I don't think I've ever seen that before.