WinRAR Interface Patch

Question

(?`?._.?[Current Status: WinRAR 3.40 GUI Patch v1.0 Released / WinRAR 3.41 GUI Patch v1.1 Pending]?._.???)(?`?._.?[Last Update (posted below): Update #17 (11/07/2004)]?._.???)[/b>UPDATE #17: WinRAR 3.41 GUI Patch v1.1 coming soon :Dith a bonus :D)!bonus UPDATE #16: Announcing the release of the WinRAR 3.40 GUI Patch v1.0 (English only at this time)!

Neowin member 'DanyBoss' has submitted the WinRAR 3.40 GUI Patch v1.0 to Softpedia!:cool:se vote :cool:.

Download:

MD5 hash: 01fb46eb96a81138040894ca3d04fbe5

Neowin member 'B3AN' provided the initial mirrors for distribution here (reported to have generated over 40GBs of traffic before B3AN had to remove it!) and here!

Additional mirrors contributed by outstanding Neowin members:

Provided by Neowin member 'nekrosoft13'

Provided by Neowin member 'Larney'

Provided by Neowin member 'harleydog'

Provided by Neowin member 'jmc777'

Provided by Neowin member 'Shilohw'

Provided by Neowin member 'oqwarrior'

Provided by Neowin member 'Ryan92'

Provided by Neowin member 'amoeba'

Provided by Neowin member 'war'

Provided by Neowin member 'StOrM'

Provided by Neowin member 'paradise'

Provided by Neowin member 'TheDarkKnight'

Provided by Neowin member 'Rabbai'

Provided by Neowin member 'The Burning Rom'

Provided by Neowin member 'Shaidar'

Provided by Neowin member 'KZWings'

Provided by Neowin member 'Danrarbc641'

Thanks!

Please mirror the file if you can (since I have become overloaded with PMs, please resend me a message if you can mirror the file). More mirrors will be posted to this thread as they become available.available.

Original postings (outdated):

Greetings fellow Neowinians.

I wanted to announce this when I had proper permission from everyone to actually release it, but with all of the recent talk regarding the WinRAR GUI I might as well post the information.

I have been working on a small WinRAR GUI patch based on FOOOD's icons. It began as a private project, but as it progressed, I thought about the possibility of releasing it. The patcher (GUI-based) weighs in at around 270 KB and currently works on the 3.40 B3/4 releases.

This required more time than anything, but I will release it if I can secureUPDATE #1: Eugene Roshal from WinRAR has given his permission. Thanks Eugene.neUPDATE #2: FOOOD from FOOOD's Icons has given his permission. FOOOD is sending me some tweaks to be implemented in the released version. Look for such a release following soon after. I will also contact Eugene Roshal to try to determine an estimated release date for 3.40 final, as only supporting the final version would be much easier. Thanks FOOOD.ODUPDATE #3: WinRAR 3.40 final is not expected until an estimated mid-September (get those last bug reports in!). After I receive the updated components from FOOOD, I will decide how to proceed.o UPDATE #4: FOOOD's updates:yes: arrived :yes:. I think everyone will be quite pleased. I will get to work :cool:ng them :cool:.emUPDATE #5: Screenshot previews using FOOOD's updates added as images #7 and #8 below. Please note that these are not final, as there are still images to replace (such as the arrows, disk drive, key, etc.). The main buttons are at, what effectively is, 36x36. I am trying to find a work around to this limitation right now. These icons really start looking great at 48x48, but they REALLY begin shining at 64 x 64. They are fantastically detailed and of typical FOOOD quality. I really want to show that off. tUPDATE #6: The icon size limitation I alluded to in UPDATE #5 :yes:xed! :yes:. I want to thank Eugene Roshal from WinRAR for taking a second out of working on 3.40 Final to send me some hints on this issue. If you use WinRAR on a regular basis, please register and support them. Also, if you enjoy all of the work FOOOD contributes for FREE to the community, please consider donating a little som:cool: to him :cool:.imUPDATE #7: I attached four more screenshots below to wet your appetite. I also moved the 'Alpha/Concept' screenshots into links for our modem viewers. When the patch is released, you will have a choice of which pixel size icons work best for you. The exact options have yet to be finalized, although 48 (shown below in the new screenshots), 64 (also shown below in the new screenshots), and 72 pixel versions :De safe bets :D. This way, you can tailor the interface more to your preference. More to follow... fUPDATE #8: I MIGHT release this patch for B6 so some foks can test it out (if I am satisfied with it, and FOOOD passes his final approval). I added five new screenshots below and moved older ones to links. 'B3' has a few toolbar icon updates, context icons, file icons, 'About' picture. More to follow... fUPDATE #9: I posted a small update here. More to follow... fUPDATE #10: I just had my power restored following Hurricane Frances. I will have to catch up on the thread. Attached a few screenshots of 'Beta 4' below. More to follow... fUPDATE #11: We are still ;)rking on it ;). WinRAR is getting new 'SFX' and 'Recovery' file icons, as well as tweaked toolbar and context menu icons:cool:y tuned :cool:.edUPDATE #12: Okay folks, here is the deal. FOOOD and I are in totally different time zones. When I am awake, he is asleep (and vice versa). This makes turn-around time on 'suggestions/receiving new files' a bit long sometimes.

We are adding a few more cool things at the last minute, so I think everyone will be quite happy with it.

Thanks again for all of the comments...I know you folks want to play with it and we are trying our best to get it out.

Regards.

UPDATE #13: As this patch has progressed, we have continuously identified areas we could improve/expand upon. Although we are open to additional tweaking in the future, we want this to be as complete as possible right out the door. The enthusiasm in this thread has been (and currently is) great to see and is most definitely a motivation to make you folks as happy as possible with the finished 'product'.

Instead of a rush job, we want to make sure we implement the highest quality artwork in all areas of WinRAR. As FOOOD mentioned, time sometimes becomes a constraint. While this project has taken longer than originally anticipated, its scope of coverage has also increased over what was originally planned. Let it be known that we are working to the best of our ability to make this happen as soon as we can, with the highest quality possible. pUPDATE #14: As FOOOD mentioned, additions to the patch are complete. All that remains is writing/organizing the copyright text, completing the Readme, and compiling together the patcher executable. We are in th;)homestretch ;). reUPDATE #15: Greetings folks. The complete download package has been sent off to FOOOD for his final approval and posting. It weighs in at 3.82 MB, which includes several file type icons created by FOOOD, documentation, and, of course:Dthe patches :D. Hold tight..ldUPDATE #16: Announcing the release of the WinRAR 3.40 GUI Patch v1.0 (English only at this time)!

Neowin member 'DanyBoss' has submitted the WinRAR 3.40 GUI Patch v1.0 to Softpedia!:cool:se vote :cool:.

Download:

MD5 hash: 01fb46eb96a81138040894ca3d04fbe5

Neowin member 'B3AN' provided the initial mirrors for distribution here (reported to have generated over 40GBs of traffic before B3AN had to remove it!) and here!

Additional mirrors contributed by outstanding Neowin members:

Provided by Neowin member 'nekrosoft13'

Provided by Neowin member 'Larney'

Provided by Neowin member 'harleydog'

Provided by Neowin member 'jmc777'

Provided by Neowin member 'Shilohw'

Provided by Neowin member 'oqwarrior'

Provided by Neowin member 'Ryan92'

Provided by Neowin member 'amoeba'

Provided by Neowin member 'StOrM'

Provided by Neowin member 'paradise'

Provided by Neowin member 'TheDarkKnight'

Provided by Neowin member 'Rabbai'

Provided by Neowin member 'The Burning Rom'

Provided by Neowin member 'Shaidar'

Provided by Neowin member 'KZWings'

Provided by Neowin member 'Danrarbc641'

Please mirror the file if you can (since I have become overloaded with PMs, please resend me a message if you can mirror the file). More mirrors will be posted to this thread as they become available.available.

Thanks again for the great co:happy: folks :happy:.

________________________________Eye candy:Ey'Alpha/Concept' screenshots (outdated) (moved to links fo:)modem users :)):)):

1)

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04085/rarIcons1.png

2)

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04085/rarIcons2.png

3)

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04085/rarIcons3.png

4)

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04085/rarIcons4.png

5)

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04085/rarIcons5.png

6)

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04085/rarIcons6.png

________________________________'Beta 1' screenshots (outdated) (moved to links fo:)modem users :)):)):

7) [Luna]

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04082/rarpatchbeta.png

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04082/classic.png

________________________________'Beta 2' screenshots (outdated) (Only 48x48 and 64x64 pixel versions are shown!;);):

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04094/Beta2Luna48All.png

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04094/Beta2Luna64.png

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04094/Beta2Luna64All.png

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04094/Beta2Classic64.png

________________________________'Beta 3' screenshots (outdated):d):

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04095/3about.png

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04095/3toolbar.png

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04095/3information.png

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04095/3wizard.png

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04095/3assorted.png

________________________________'Beta 4' screenshots (current):t):

4832.png

6448.png

classis48326448.png

Edited by SentientPC

This may or may not have already been mentioned, but why doesn't someone setup a bit torrent tracker and seed the UI patch.? B3AN's server had 40gigs of traffic.? That's reason enough to use a distribution method like bit torrent.? Anywho, with BT, you may get more people using your patch since the .torrent file could be posted on say, suprnova, and people will look and say "Hmmm... WTF is that?? I'll take a look".

584734172[/snapback]

n/m forget lol

I'm seeding it but seems no one is downloading it.

That or tracker sucks.

insanekiwi,

You can't catch a break on this patch can you?  :(

Lemme ask you, does the patch actually say it worked successfully or are you crapping out in the middle of the patch sequence?

584734720[/snapback]

aw c'mon i love this patch so stop buggin me.

it goes thru the installtion process just fine. the readme also says i may need to reboot. i did, still, nothing.

Try uninstalling winRAR and then deleting the winRAR registery settings and anything that is left in the winRAR folder.

Then try installing winRAR and installing the patch....

What OS? What Langauge of WinRAR?

Check the files are they actaully being patched <I think the filesize should change etc...>?

If they aren't being patched try a different copy of WinRAR (eng langauge)...

On sidenote I finally got the corporate version to work with the patch! :whistle:

when i press the quote button it just goes from a green (plus) + to a red (minus) -. when i hit reply it actually quotes the post. i'm kinda confused, what's the +/- for?

584739317[/snapback]

anyway, i managed to get it working with german winrar aswell. just install english winrar, then the interface patch and add the langauge file afterwards. works like a charm.

edit: haha nice bug, ipb saved the quote from a completely different thread.

german_winrar_lang.zip

Edited by insanekiwi

No reply yet Jason?? Can you please reply to this question??:yes:s:

Cheerz

Dav:cool:l:

584734004[/snapback]

I am currently trying to fix another issue tied to this (and SFX in general) right now. I am hoping to release v1.1 in the next week that will address not only this issue, but a few others as well (localizations, etc.):):).

You guys did such a great job on this! I have had no issues so far :D. If you feel the need to give other freeware programs a face-lift!

Can I suggest SpyBot S&D as a main contender? Is powerful... but its ugly!

aw c'mon i love this patch so stop buggin me.

it goes thru the installtion process just fine. the readme also says i may need to reboot. i did, still, nothing.

584738250[/snapback]

Stop buggin you about the patch? How could you love it if you can't get it to work? I was going to assist, but it looks like you got it working, so nevermind. :whistle:

anyway, i managed to get it working with german winrar aswell. just install english winrar, then the interface patch and add the langauge file afterwards. works like a charm.

edit: haha nice bug, ipb saved the quote from a completely different thread.

584739359[/snapback]

Ok. Let me explain it to you so you don't get it confused again. IPB 2.0 has what's called "multi-quote". You saw this when you clicked the quote button for a certain post. You can click the "Quote" button for as many posts as you want, even posts from a different thread or a different part of the forum. When you click "Add Reply", you will quote all of those posts that you selected.

In order to simply quote one post in a thread, just hit the "Reply" button (the one with the arrow that points to the right).

Also, I'm happy you finally got the patch to work for you. Great, isn't it?

1) Installed WinRAR 3.40 in English.

2) Registering WinRAR 3.40 in English.

3) Applying WinRAR 3.40 GUI Patch 1.0.

4) Copying ALL .LNG files from a old Spanish WinRAR 3.40 folder installed earlier to the WinRAR 3.40 in English with the GUI Patch applied.

Result: WinRAR 3.40 in Spanish with GUI Patch 1.0.

Greetings,

I am currently trying to fix another issue tied to this (and SFX in general) right now.  I am hoping to release v1.1 in the next week that will address not only this issue, but a few others as well (localizations, etc.)  :).

584739405[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply J. Looking forward to version 1.1.

Once again thanks for all your hard work. Much appreciated.

Cheerz

Dave

Thanks for the reply J.  Looking forward to version 1.1. 

Once again thanks for all your hard work.  Much appreciated.

Cheerz

Dave

584752672[/snapback]

No problem ;)

Oke what happend here  :o

Anyone knows how to fix this??? :(

584787676[/snapback]

Are you using 32-bit color?

A friend is on Windows 2000. He got the screen settings to 32bit colours but still get the black borders?

Why is that? Is it compitable with windows2000?

A friend is on Windows 2000. He got the screen settings to 32bit colours but still get the black borders?

Why is that? Is it compitable with windows2000?

584796913[/snapback]

The new icons are pretty much based the PNG format using alpha-blending. Only Windows XP and 2003 support alpha-blending.

So yeah if you friend is using Windows 2000, he will get the black borders around the icons.

If you read through this thread you'll see the missing 48x48 size for SFX files is a WinRAR issue. We haven't forgotten it, it's not possible to add a 48x48 version at this time.

This is because Eugene (WinRAR) wanted to keep the file sizes down to a minimum, so they left out the 48x48 icon size to save a few Kbs of space. Hopefully something can be sorted out in the future.

584710048[/snapback]

There is no technical problem with adding bigger icon sizes, i used resource hacker to get the 64x64 pixel sfx icon (from the toolbar), i resized it to 48 pixels in photoshop, made the new icon out of it with gif movie gear and added it to the sfx file i decompressed with upx, works fine, all the sfx archives i have work perfectly and have the 48x48 pixel icon in explorer.

Also, i tried reading all the thread, i must have missed where it was origionaly mentioned.

(~_~)

How do I associate an extension icon/file type name without changing the others?

I.e.: I change the icon of the .rar extension with the rar one from the patch... but all the others extension get the same! And if I change the file type name, it does the same. (Except with the .zip one)...

I've been a bit busy recently, but I've finally got around to re-installing Windows 2000 on my laptop at work and can confirm the black background still happens even when using 32-bit colour depth. :(

post-7472-1099265293.png

I am currently trying to fix another issue tied to this (and SFX in general) right now.  I am hoping to release v1.1 in the next week that will address not only this issue, but a few others as well (localizations, etc.)  :).

584739405[/snapback]

When can we expect 1.1 now??? I can't wait ;)

thx for your work... I love this patch