2 agp slots on one motherboard?

Was it ever done? I've searched google a few times with no avail. I'm just wondering if it could have ever been done, and if not why? Anyone ever added an AGP card and used it in conjunction with an existing systemboard based video card? Will PCI-X allow multiple video cards?

A long time ago, they were developing a mobo with 2 AGP slots to do that, but i dont think it worked.

It will be available with PCI-X but u need one with 2 PCI x16 and special hardware to do that. Nvidia already is making their SLI thing witch uses two Nvidia PCI-X video cards into one output. But there isnt a good mainstream mobo with 2 PCI x16 slots, except some server mobo.

Alienware is expirementing with 2 graphics card. I think it was Vodoo who did that a long time ago, so that each card would render every line.

yes, but that is on the PCI Express sockets, the chipsets do NOT allow dual AGP

Voodoo used dual PCI slots, and plus they used multiple cores on 1 single card for the AGP ones

Corrections:

1) Dual AGP slots is technically infeasible.

2) Several companies experiemented with "AGP bridge" chips that would allow 2 GPUs to work on the same AGP card. Others experimented with dual cards running 1 AGP and 1 PCI card.

3) PCI-X is not PCI Express. PCI-X is a much older technology that has nothing to do with PCI Express. As PCI-X was backward compatible with PCI, it's possible that you could use two PCI video cards in PCI-X slots... however they would work just like any other PCI system.

4) Alienware's dual-card setup supports 2 PCI Express video cards, 1 running in the x16 slot, and the other running in an x1 slot.

5) It is expected that Nvidia's nForce 4 chipset will have 2 full-speed PCI Express x16 slots, for use with their SLI setup.

4) Alienware's dual-card setup supports 2 PCI Express video cards, 1 running in the x16 slot, and the other running in an x1 slot.

5) It is expected that Nvidia's nForce 4 chipset will have 2 full-speed PCI Express x16 slots, for use with their SLI setup.

what are you talking bout? they have dual 16x PCI Express slots for it. there would be no use in having a graphics card in a PCI Express 1x slot, for it is (almost) the same speed as normal PCI slots.

it is KNOWN they will implement it in their chipset, its called the NForce 4 SLI, there is NForce 4, NForce 4 Pro, and NForce 4 SLI

PCI-X is not PCI Express.

PCI-X is extended PCI, wider and higher frequency, and some other implemtations, such as point-to-point.

Expensive to implement.

PCIe = PCI Express

PCI-X is not PCI Express.

PCI-X is extended PCI, wider and higher frequency, and some other implemtations, such as point-to-point.

Expensive to implement.

PCIe = PCI Express

Yea ur rite. My mistake. I meant to say PCIe instead of PCI-X. Thanks.

More corrections.. Alienware's setup is a 16x and an 8x sized like a 16 and no real room for 1x and 4x slots (max pci express lanes is abot 24)

Nvidia's Nforce4 is two slots (both sized at 16) sharing a 16x pipeline which means 1 video card can run at 16.. and if you have two both run at 8x. (thus allowing room for some 1x/4x slots)

Keep in mind that it will be a long while befoe even 8x is fully used.

i think sli would be cool if you could use 2 monitors but when you're in a game both card would work on rendering and the second monitor would just go blank until you go back to the desktop

i think sli would be cool if you could use 2 monitors but when you're in a game both card would work on rendering and the second monitor would just go blank until you go back to the desktop

This sounds entirely possible with NVIDIA's SLI.