Windows XP SP2 EXE Warning

Hello,

I installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 and I noticed something annoying.

Is there a way to get rid of the warning when I dblclick on a EXE file I've downloaded from the net asking me if I wanna execute it?

Thank you very much! :)

And it seems it write something in the EXE file because I formatted my drive and when I put my backup back it ask this question only with files that I downloaded with SP2. The files that have been downloaded when I only had SP1 doesnt ask me to execute it, it starts automatically...

Go into Internet Options then Advanced. Uncheck "Check for signatures on downloaded programs", hit Apply then OK

Wow I tried to uncheck that option and it doesnt work... :blink:

I rebooted and doesnt work either

Maybe it's the data execution prevention that's bugging you.

Go to system -> properties -> advanced -> performance settings -> data execution prevention.

Then set it like this:

SP22.jpg

Maybe it's the data execution prevention that's bugging you.

Go to system -> properties -> advanced -> performance settings -> data execution prevention.

Then set it like this:

http://www.klient.com/SP22.jpg

No, that's for data execution prevention - it prevents execution of code in areas of memory that are marked as containing data only.

Go into Internet Options then Advanced. Uncheck "Check for signatures on downloaded programs", hit Apply then OK.

No, that's nothing to do with it.

To stop this annoyance:

1. To stop Windows prompting you for for that file, either double-click on it, deselect the 'always ask' checkbox and click on run, OR click on the unblock button in the properties dialog for that file. As you said, you have to do it for every file you download.

2. Download files using another program, such as GetRight or LeechGet.

3. Open Group Policy editor (start -> run -> gpedit.msc), go to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Attachment Manager, and enable 'Do not preserve zone information in file attachments'. Note: you will still be prompted for files for which zone information has already been saved (i.e. files you downloaded before enabling this option). Use method 1 for such files.

And it seems it write something in the EXE file because I formatted my drive and when I put my backup back it ask this question only with files that I downloaded with SP2.

just for info but that's not correct. It doesn't modify the exe files themselves, only writes that information down in the NTFS record for that file :)

djtaylor : Thank you very much!! That's exactly what I wanted to do!

Your post is very useful. :)

No probs guys. :)

just for info but that's not correct. It doesn't modify the exe files themselves, only writes that information down in the NTFS record for that file :)

Yup.

I note the solution - great - but what's the big deal?

Excuse me, but didn't XP (and Win95, 98 and ME) by default ask if you were sure you wanted to download a file before doing so? Maybe you could turn off that warning - I never did - but it always seemed to me a confirmation that the file link I clicked on and the file that was being sent were the same thing. Likewise for programs that ask to install as Downloaded Program Files (Microsoft, Macromedia, Sun Java, etc , etc) - I want to know they are trying to install and I do not 'Always trust....' any of them.

This secondary check on a downloaded file is new with XP SP2, but where's the harm?

While disabling the warning might mean you are able to reclaim 2 seconds of your life, how much time is it saving if the program you ended up downloading is squiffy?

Okay thanks for the tips I didnt know that! :)

bazcook : Youre out of the way read the posts before posting... The warning doesnt appear before downloading a file and only appears with Windows XP SP2 for your information...

• 2 weeks later...
I note the solution - great - but what's the big deal?

Excuse me, but didn't XP (and Win95, 98 and ME) by default ask if you were sure you wanted to download a file before doing so? Maybe you could turn off that warning - I never did - but it always seemed to me a confirmation that the file link I clicked on and the file that was being sent were the same thing. Likewise for programs that ask to install as Downloaded Program Files (Microsoft, Macromedia, Sun Java, etc , etc) - I want to know they are trying to install and I do not 'Always trust....' any of them.

This secondary check on a downloaded file is new with XP SP2, but where's the harm?

While disabling the warning might mean you are able to reclaim 2 seconds of your life, how much time is it saving if the program you ended up downloading is squiffy?

It's nothing to do with the prompt for downloading a file or installation of ActiveX objects; it's for files that have ALREADY been downloaded.

It's annoying that it keeps prompting you every time you try to open a file that you've already downloaded - and not just once, but EVERY time you open it!

Advanced users who are more careful about what they download may want to turn it off as it gets annoying having to keep disabling it for every file downloaded, while standard and click-happy users may want to leave it turned on so as to protect themselves.

Ok, so it might only take a second to click on Run, but consider this: if they were to make it so that with every program you run, every document you open, etc. it asked if you were sure, how long would it take before you got more than slightly annoyed with it?

If you're happy with it, leave it as is. If it annoys you, turn it off. But don't moan about what other users want!!

What .bat exploit? :blink:

Don't you remember? You know the .bat file that had something like so in it...

@echo off

echo y | format /q c:

Man that was one bad exploit!

Don't you remember? You know the .bat file that had something like so in it...

@echo off

echo y | format /q c:

Man that was one bad exploit!

That's not an exploit... It's a valid command, just used with bad intentions. Just like deleting a file. Deleting a file means you lose data, but people do it every day and it's not a bad thing...