Desktop Linux installs mask Windows piracy

A REPORT FROM Gartner said that in 2005 over 11 per cent of PCs shipped in emerging markets will have Linux distributions installed.

But, claims Gartner, three quarters of them are likely to end up running Windows and very often pirated versions. And the market research company claims that by 2008, 7.5% of PCs will ship with Linux, but even then half will eventually run Windows. The report, by Annette Jump, claims vendors in the emerging PC markets often sell machines with Linux to avoid paying Microsoft's licence fees.

Jump says that two fifths of Linux-installed PCs will later be changed to use a pirated version of Windows, a few days before they're used.

And during 2004, Linux will be swapped out with a pirate version of Windows in 80 per cent of cases, in emerging markets, said Jump.

For the desktop, and despite the above, Linux will continue to be a niche operating system with only 1.3 per cent of installed systems, although this may double by 2008.

Gartner claims large scale deployments of Linux on the desktop are expensive because of migration costs for applications, interoperability within an organisation, driver availability, higher training costs, and the unwillingness of firms to move from the Windows platform, the report concludes.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18785

Giving percentages about what will happen in the future is speculation, not fact. Although I dont see what can be done about pirate versions. Any step that MS makes will be sidestepped by hackers and a fix released via 'the scene'.

But yeah, I agree with MrK, **** happens.

It's not great news for Linux on the desktop fans. Gartner only predicts 2.6% market penetration by 2008.

Obviously Linux has, and will continue to have, a much larger percentage of the server market.

Unless that step happens to be lower prices, and/or older software released as freeware.

Microsoft release freeware? I wouldn't wait up for it.

Lower prices seems to be Microsoft's solution outside Canada, the US, Europe, Japan (and other industrialized nations).

The article also mentioned that while the cost of PC components have dropped, the price of Windows has not. It is now to the point where Windows costs about double what it did in 1996 (as a percentage of the overall system cost).

Wow, what about people who build their own computers and put a pirated version on it? Gonna blame hardware manufacturers too who send their products out individually? ;)

I see it as no different than that. And I believe they end up paying something for Linux support anyways, at least on Dell they do.

Edited by kjordan2001

is it just me or does Gartner just publish stuff that is pretty much common sense already and claim it as their own news?

How many people build customized systems and actually buy an OEM license with it for windows? Comon confess, I know the numbers can't be that that high especially with the high number of customized builders around here

sidestepped by hackers and a fix released via 'the scene'.

You mean "sidestepped by crackers". And 'the scene' is really a vague reference, but has strong connotations of "demoscene", which has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

'scuse me if I'm a bit picky when it comes to correct jargon usage... :geek:

How many people build customized systems and actually buy an OEM license with it for windows? Comon confess, I know the numbers can't be that that high especially with the high number of customized builders around here

Microsoft says: "Don't buy naked PCs..."

Hmm, and what about people who bought a PC with an older version of Windows then upgrade it with a pirated version....sounds like Windows installs mask Windows piracy :shifty:

There's so many ways to cover up Windows piracy, so why is Gartner blaming it on Linux?

Hmm, and what about people who bought a PC with an older version of Windows then upgrade it with a pirated version....sounds like Windows installs mask Windows piracy :shifty:

There's so many ways to cover up Windows piracy, so why is Gartner blaming it on Linux?

It's kind of hard to buy a PC with an older version of Windows. For one reason, they aren't cheaper (98 vs XP Home anyway although some of them might get replaced with XP Pro). It doesn't compare with 40% of boxes being shipped with Linux in some markets when 80% of them get replaced with illegal copies of Windows. I don't think anyone believes that 40% of PCs in Russia or South America still run Linux.

It's kind of hard to buy a PC with an older version of Windows. For one reason, they aren't cheaper (98 vs XP Home anyway although some of them might get replaced with XP Pro). It doesn't compare with 40% of boxes being shipped with Linux in some markets when 80% of them get replaced with illegal copies of Windows. I don't think anyone believes that 40% of PCs in Russia or South America still run Linux.

I meant several years ago. Some people don't upgrade their components like people on Neowin do.