XBOX Media Center Extender

i'd say your money is better off spent getting your box modded, and using XBMC...but thats just my opinion. this will be good for people who don't want to mess with their boxes, although i don't think the functionality even comes close...

i'd say your money is better off spent getting your box modded, and using XBMC

:angry:

are you kidding me. 1st of all you void the warrenty, 2nd of all, you can easily SCREW UP YOUR XBOX by modding it.

but heck, if you want to risk it, why not... I know there are some no-solder kits out there as well...

Whoa someones seriously against modifing consoles, i personally haven't got my box modded YET, but i have seen the power of XB:MC and all these other little goodies you can get, and they new Media Center Extender thing doesn't come close. You only risk damaging your x box if you don't know what you are doing and are wreckless.

Not mine, a friend sent pics - he was on the Media Center Extender beta. Just realised this was referencing the Xbox Media Center Extender. They're not due until november as far as I know.

Basically its a device that turns your XBOX into a Media Centre viewer, an extention cable if yoy will. Although that analogy is not quite correct as its more like client software to a server you get the right idea.

So, it works in conjunction with the XBOX to form a media center type app? One can only imagine how much that'll end up costing the average consumer when a mod chip for the XBOX iteslf goes from anywhere between $35 - $70 USD.

The only problem with this is because of MS's stupid policy you have to have a Media Centre computer so the XBMC is the best option for most people.

Im not sure why im so against MS making Media Centre OEM only because i already have one and this will save me buying another :p

I agree with you in the fact that I've never understood why MS is making the Media Center Ed. it's own OS then making only OEM to boot. It just baffles me.... It make soo much more sense to me to make the Media Center a stand alone app or a plug in type front end to WMP :blink:

Two things are going to happen.

1) MS will include Media Centre into the standard OS.

2) Use this advantage to promote their products such as WMA/V and other services that can take advantage of the Windows market share, oh yeah and any competition in this nascent but inevitable market will be wiped out off the face of the earth as another example of MS abusing its monopoly.

MS please learn to compete with people rather than using underhand tactics to get rid of them, i do believe you are capable of making good stuff, Media Centre being a prime example but put it out in the market as seperate retail product so we all benefit from the advancments that competition brings.