It's Freaking Annoying!

Here is how I like to setup my toolbars in my XP Pro SP1 machine:

Good.jpg

Good

Trouble is every week or so the system resets them to this useless configuration:

Bad.jpg

Bad

You can see that the toolbar has also gone from locked to unlocked and the address bar has been added even though I don't want it. Does anyone know what's going on? Or have fix? Has it happened to you? Do you even care? I've seen this happen in 2K3 as well. It's stupid, buggy behaviour and it's driving me up the wall. :pinch:

That happens because there's default settings and settings for each individual folder. When you make changes to the sort order, view (icons, list, details, etc.), auto arrange, show in groups, etc. settings, Windows saves those settings for that folder only. Folders for which no settings have been saved use the default settings. The trouble is that Windows only remembers so many. Once the limit has been reached, the oldest set of settings will be 'lost' when Windows saves settings for a new folder, and the folder for which settings have just been lost will revert to the defaults.

What you need to do is to change the default settings. Set an Explorer window up exactly how you want it, then go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab, and click on Apply to All Folders. Settings for individual folders will be purged and the default settings changed.

Hope that helps.

Hmm. It's only been a day now and XP's reset the toolbars again. I know some of you will think this trivial but It's getting on my wick. W2K never does this.

Does anyone have any more suggestions for me?