The SP2 Update is too HUUUUUGE

Hi,

Before installing WinXP SP2 I noticed my C: drive used space was arround 3,5GB.

After installing SP2, the used space become 5.23GB. 1.7GB larger

How It's possible??? In fact, during SP2 install it asked to backup the C: drive.

How could I free space??? or at least deleting the backup.

Strange... By searching files larger than 20MB I found:

driver.cab 75MB

CNTCD1.MML 29MB

CNTCD1.MML 25MB (different folder)

sp2.cab 22MB

sp2.cab 22MB (different folder)

sp2.cab 22MB (different folder)

MSB1HEEN.ITS 17MB

... and so on. NO FILE equivalent to the 1.7GB.

I'm ready to reinstall the SP2...

Is there an installation procedure to get smaller size with SP2???

TNX for yr help

coucou

You can cleanup your old system restore files and that could clearup considerable space. Go to start - all programs-accessories-systemtools-diskcleanup--moreoptions. The bttom option is cleanup system restore files. Try that. :yes:

Someone posted switches for sp2 setup file that makes no backup. Try researching that. i think it was setup /nobackup but obviously do check before u do this.

Or slipstream SP2 into XP and then install.

When you install SP2 you have to remember, it extracts the files so now you have about 600 MB of files from SP2 (including the package). You also have the restore point it creates, and the files it backups. That is quite a bit.

TNX all for yr advise... No solution yet.

@salaku: I've made the Cleanup System Restore without success... still C:=5.7GB

BTW, you get the Cleanup System Restore by Start/My Computer/C:/Properties/Disk Cleanup/More options... the latest one.

@Saadu: I couldn't find the no backup install "switches" for SP2

@Fowen: I've slipstreamed SP2 for a slipstreamed SP1 (I didn't kept a regular WinXP copy) here bellow

First slipstream slipstreamed WinXP SP1 to SP2 + added drivers... Splispstream ended with success.

result when I start the install, after few minutes i got this error message The entry "PCI.sys" in the [sourceDiskFiles] section of INF file is corrupt or missing. Setup cannot continue.

Second slipstream slipstreamed WinXP SP1 to SP2 only... Splispstream ended with success.

result The install start OK then it's hanging after the reboot with the logo of WinXP.

Finally, I installed the WinXP SP1 with success and I updated it to SP2 to get >1.7GB extra...

Regards

coucou

@Fowen: I've slipstreamed SP2 for a slipstreamed SP1 (I didn't kept a regular WinXP copy) here bellow

First slipstream slipstreamed WinXP SP1 to SP2 + added drivers... Splispstream ended with success.

result when I start the install, after few minutes i got this error message The entry "PCI.sys" in the [sourceDiskFiles] section of INF file is corrupt or missing. Setup cannot continue.

Second slipstream slipstreamed WinXP SP1 to SP2 only... Splispstream ended with success.

result The install start OK then it's hanging after the reboot with the logo of WinXP.

Finally, I installed the WinXP SP1 with success and I updated it to SP2 to get >1.7GB extra...

Regards

coucou

Did you try Autostreamer from the creators of Autopatcher?

Hi,

Finally I could install the SP2 and NO added HUUUUGE amounts of data to my hard drive...

my drive used space is only 3.64GB instead of 5.5GB

Here what i did.

As usually I made and kept a ghost backup images of my hard dive.

1) I loaded the backup image made by the WXinXP SP1. I reboot for checking... OK SP1 working fine

2) Then I restart the machine and I boot from WinXP SP2.

3) The system ask for Starting installation or Repairing, select Starting Installation

4) Again, the system ask for Starting installation or Repairing, select Repair

5) Now the Repair/install start... As in normal installation, it ask for the user name, Organisation, product key (I entered my SP1 key).

First Reboot... WinXP Logo (800x600 resolution)... suspense... WinXP logo (1024x768 resolution)... suspense... I got the Windows help asking for activation and set up internet as for a new installation... IT WORKS

I think the hangup problem was caused by the Laptop drivers.

TNX to all for yr help

Next Step: I'm looking for a regular and clean WinXP Pro without any hotfixs or SP's (I slipstreamed my own to SP1 and didn't kept the original), I'll take time to build an unattended SP2 with my own drivers, programs...

BTW I'm using WinXP Pro English version

Regards

couco