[Definitive] Star Trek

I'm also a big trekkie fan. I really hope they do make a series that is set after Voyager, it will be MUCH better than Enterprise. Don't get me wrong though, I like Enterprise but it's nothing compared to Voyager. :)

I'm also a big trekkie fan. I really hope they do make a series that is set after Voyager, it will be MUCH better than Enterprise. Don't get me wrong though, I like Enterprise but it's nothing compared to Voyager. :)

585190171[/snapback]

A series that is set after Voyager is a good idea. I'd like to see what Starfleet does with Voyager's new technology, and how it copes with any future threats other than the Borg and Species 8472. Didn't they want to infiltrate the federation because they thought the federation was plotting against them?

Or, how about a series that has some DS9 and Voyager elements...? :yes:

And it's too bad Starfleet will never adopt it after Voyager brought the technology back to Earth, and will be lost forever in a massive plot hole.

585188732[/snapback]

Perhaps Star Fleet brass decided to uphold the temporal prime directive and locked away all of Janeway's "illegal" technology.

Yeah. I guess that would be the right thing to do. It would be unfair to the scientists or engineers if starfleet used the tedhnology. I mean, they would be the ones inventing the technology/weaponry. And you know.. Starfleet likes to follow the so called "Prime-Directive".

Forgot about this version of the Enterprise from "All Good Things"

585188608[/snapback]

its okay---i just didn't like the fact that they screwed it up by ghetto-izing the warp system. "let's do it the old fashioned way. warp 13" that's really dumb.

Yeah. I guess that would be the right thing to do. It would be unfair to the scientists or engineers if starfleet used the tedhnology. I mean, they would be the ones inventing the technology/weaponry. And you know.. Starfleet likes to follow the so called "Prime-Directive".

585191230[/snapback]

Those root-beer drinking do-gooders would have been done in generations ago if not for Section 31.

i followed every series except DS9 religiously. i have seen every episode of the other series BUT i dont know anything about Section 31 except that it's a underground starfleet intelligence something or other. anyone care to fill me in?

There's one thing that's badly supported in StarTrek: The transporters!

Why do they constantly bother to go to the transporter room if they can use a site-to-site transport? They don't need a transporter unit on the planet's survice or whatever, I saw them transport a few times directly from the bridge to somewhere else. Like Tuvok (sounds kinda like "to f*ck " :laugh: ) would say: "It's illogical captain"

There's one thing that's badly supported in StarTrek: The transporters!

Why do they constantly bother to go to the transporter room if they can use a site-to-site transport? They don't need a transporter unit on the planet's survice or whatever, I saw them transport a few times directly from the bridge to somewhere else. Like Tuvok (sounds kinda like "to f*ck ":laugh: ) would say: "It's illogical captain"

585191717[/snapback]

I would assume that site-to-site transfers uses double the energy and may contain additional risk so it's not advised for daily operation.

I would assume that site-to-site transfers uses double the energy and may contain additional risk so it's not advised for daily operation.

585191733[/snapback]

And in 300 years time (from Enterprise to Voyager) they haven't had the time to fix that bug? :p Other question: How does one get re-materialized after a transport when there's no transporter unit on the survice of a planet? So basically you don't need the transporter room at all, because you don't need one at the location you're going to. :pinch:

I've forgotten all the various enhancements that Voyager did in terms of weapons. :pinch: But I don't think it's wise of Starfleet to ignore the benefits of such technology even though it may have violated the prime directive.

^ yeah it's rather silly of them to go to the transporter room when they can do site to site transports. But maybe to cut down on errors from occurring, the closer you are to it the better. Hell I wouldn't think they had it absolutely perfect yet.

And in 300 years time (from Enterprise to Voyager) they haven't had the time to fix that bug? :p

585191749[/snapback]

I don't know if its a bug. With site-to-site transfers I would assume that they are beamed to the transporter room (even if they never materialize) and then instantly rebeamed to the final destination. Essentially it is like doing two back-to-back transfers (hence double the energy cost).

The two transfers probably add some risk. If the odds are one in a million for each transfer then we're now talking about one in a half million for a site-to-site. Plus the people needs to be in transit for twice the duration which could add additional risk from molecular cohesion.

Yeah it would be a rather inconvenient if you'd lose an arm or leg during the proces or if your feet are being attached back on your head instead of the regular place where they belong. It doesn't answer my second question tho :p

And in 300 years time (from Enterprise to Voyager) they haven't had the time to fix that bug? :p Other question: How does one get re-materialized after a transport when there's no transporter unit on the survice of a planet? So basically you don't need the transporter room at all, because you don't need one at the location you're going to. :pinch:

585191749[/snapback]

I'm sure when you get transported its a beam of energy sent down to the surface so you dont need a tranpoter unit on the surface.

remember how that superborg was able to transport himself? That was kool. Site to site transport. only if our internet was as good... :D

585192078[/snapback]

Yeah, built in transporter nodes :D

Site-to-site transport involves following the conventional beam up process until the subject is in the pattern buffer; the subject is then shunted to a second pattern buffer and on to another emitter array before being beamed out to a new location. This process essentially merges two transport processes in order to allow a subject to be beamed from one location to another without having to rematerialise on board ship first. This process is avoided if possible since it requires double the energy expenditure and system resources to accomplish each transport.

SOURCE

The above information should answer some questions regarding site-to-site transporting.

Also, there was an alien species in VOY that had the technology to transport anything to anywhere within 40,000 lightyears of where they are. I'll do some research and find out the name of the alien species.

EDIT: Yes! I found the it! They are called the Sikarians.

Encountered by Voyager in 2371, the Sikarians are a highly advanced and peaceful people who are legendary in the Delta Quadrant for their generosity and kindness to strangers. Their technology is in general in advance of that of the Federation, most especially when it comes to transporters. The Sikarians used a device which they called the trajector, a transporter capable of sending people or objects across distances of 40,000 light years in an instant. The field required to accomplish this is some ten billion times greater than anything Voyager could have generated, requiring a field amplifier literally as large as a planet. Sikaris has a mantle of tetrahedral quartz twenty kilometres thick, whose crystalline structure was used by the Sikarians as an amplifier.

Unfortunately, the Sikarians refused to allow Voyager to use their trajector and although members of the crew purchased the technology from a clandestine group on the planet the use of the mantle as an amplifier meant that it was impossible to use the device once they had departed. In addition, the trajector used antineutrinos as a catalyst for the space folding reaction, a technology incompatible with Federation technology.

Voyager was thus unable to use this technology to assist in its return home. No other species has been encountered which has this technology.

SOURCE

Edited by Section 31