Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

I agree, I wish they had it. I have seen component to VGA Adapters, though. That means an additional outlay, of course.

It's a shame Dell's uber-FPs (2001/2005) lack component; it's a shame for such great displays to miss out on another high-quality connection besides DVI.

585222562[/snapback]

If anyone has done the same with SVideo or DVI, report if it looks better.

585222518[/snapback]

My VCR looks positively dire through composite, though i suppose i shouldn't expect much from bog-standard VHS. :blink:

Yeah, but I was only able to try with a composite cable (my Comcast cable box doesnt have DVI or SVideo).  It looked -ok- but not so hot, and you have to sit a few feet back.

If anyone has done the same with SVideo or DVI, report if it looks better.

585222518[/snapback]

tried running from vcr to monitor.. it looks grainy up close up sitting back like more then 3-4 feet it looks ok.. probli gonna put the 3rd monitor in my room and use it as a tv since my bed will be at least 5 feet away :p

Why not get a TV card and route your TV through your computer and make it a DVR? Then when you want to watch TV all you need to do is change it to fullscreen.

As promised...here are the pics of the new monitor...just got it today!  :D  :D  :D

585226492[/snapback]

What kind of speakers are they? Thanks.

Kirk

lol...the speakers are the 5.1 surrond by dell and no...the sound bar is fine lol i'm no need for super nice spakers otherwise i would buy some...it's nice that all the dell stuff works togtether.

lol...the speakers are the 5.1 surrond by dell and no...the sound bar is fine lol i'm no need for super nice spakers otherwise i would buy some...it's nice that all the dell stuff works togtether.

585226577[/snapback]

But it makes the monitor look uglylll? :unsure:

Replacement LCD arrived today and it is so much worse than the first. Originally I had a dead/stuck pixel, a concave effect which I couldn't get rid of (tech support was no help either), some backlight bleeding, and a very annoying pink/purple hue if you are looking at the lcd from anything other than directly ahead. The Original rev is A00, Mexico, November 2004, and the replacement is A00, Mexico, December 2004. The replacement does not have any dead/stuck pixels, the pink/purple hue is there, but not a factor unless you are at considerably more extreme viewing angle, but the backlighting is terrible. I've tried to "rub it out" as others have suggested. The original responded better to it... the replacement is awful. Looks like I will see what monitor number 3 has to offer.

As far as talking to Dell. Yes I've had to wait and deal with English as a second language barriers but they have been nice, patient, and have dealt with this professionally. Fed-ex 'ing and providing return shipping should be expected, but is not always the norm with other companies so it is one less thing for me to gripe about and it is appreciated. The crap-shoot for an acceptable monitor is made easier by the fact that they do bring me one before I have to send one back, and after placing my order I was aware it may come to this, so I'll take it all in stride. No reason to be that upset yet... hell, I can always get a refund if I get too frustrated.

The replacement is on the left and the original is on the right. You can also see some of the pink/purple hue in the top right of the right side monitor... even in the dark. It is very annoying to deal with... glad to see not all of them look like that.

post-87942-1104820485.jpg

post-87942-1104820507.jpg

post-87942-1104820515.jpg

post-87942-1104820526.jpg

Do they send you a replacement and then you send the old one back? That would help me since I don't want to be out of a monitor for a week (Time it takes the monitor to get to Dell from my home + Time it takes the new monitor to get to my home)

for those of us in the UK :)

I ordered two from this guy here

lots cheaper than Dell Direct, and he seems trustworthy :)

585231636[/snapback]

I think in the 2001FP thread some people bought theirs from him. I can't remember if Dazzla did, but I'm sure i saw that guys username ericbunny in that thread and he was pretty good I think.

Just got my 2005FPW today. It is just amazing. One dead-pixel 2 inches up and 4 inches over from lower right. Not bad. Slight backlight problem, but haven't had it on for extended periods yet. I will update with more info as I use it today. Pics coming later. :)

Just got my 2005FPW today. It is just amazing. One dead-pixel 2 inches up and 4 inches over from lower right. Not bad. Slight backlight problem, but haven't had it on for extended periods yet. I will update with more info as I use it today. Pics coming later. :)

585232116[/snapback]

Hurray ! :D

mines scheduled for delivery tomorrow

for those of us in the UK :)

I ordered two from this guy here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=5154134280

lots cheaper than Dell Direct, and he seems trustworthy :)

cant wait for mines,, setting themm up in dual display :D

585231636[/snapback]

I can highly recomend ericbunny. I purchased a 2005 from him also a mate did, no dead pixels, they are checked before delivery :D

Here is a shots of my desk with the new dual-monitor configuration (2005FPW and 1703FPs):

lcd0038ox.th.jpg

Close-up of 2005FPW:

lcd0059nf.th.jpg

Side-by-side of 2005FPW and 1703FPs. Notice that the 2005 is the same height as the 17":

lcd0092jh.th.jpg

Odd, huh?

Sorry, my camera isn't the greatest. :(

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Edit: The links should work now.

Edited by jkinzer