Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

Replacement LCD arrived today and it is so much worse than the first.  Originally I had a dead/stuck pixel, a concave effect which I couldn't get rid of (tech support was no help either), some backlight bleeding, and a very annoying pink/purple hue if you are looking at the lcd from anything other than directly ahead. The Original rev is A00, Mexico, November 2004, and the replacement is A00, Mexico, December 2004.  The replacement does not have any dead/stuck pixels, the pink/purple hue is there, but not a factor unless you are at considerably more extreme viewing angle, but the backlighting is terrible.  I've tried to "rub it out" as others have suggested.  The original responded better to it... the replacement is awful.  Looks like I will see what monitor number 3 has to offer.

As far as talking to Dell.  Yes I've had to wait and deal with English as a second language barriers but they have been nice, patient, and have dealt with this professionally.  Fed-ex 'ing and providing return shipping should be expected, but is not always the norm with other companies so it is one less thing for me to gripe about and it is appreciated. The crap-shoot for an acceptable monitor is made easier by the fact that they do bring me one before I have to send one back, and after placing my order I was aware it may come to this, so I'll take it all in stride.  No reason to be that upset yet... hell, I can always get a refund if I get too frustrated.

The replacement is on the left and the original is on the right.  You can also see some of the pink/purple hue in the top right of the right side  monitor... even in the dark.  It is very annoying to deal with... glad to see not all of them look like that.

post-87942-1104820485.jpg

post-87942-1104820507.jpg

post-87942-1104820515.jpg

post-87942-1104820526.jpg

585227857[/snapback]

The one on the left (your replacement) looks EXACTLY like my first one.

I took a pic of my original and posted it. Although I borrwed the camera from a friend and it was a cheap 1.2 mp camera so the pic did'nt come out to well.

But I swear that looks identical to mine. Although mine was a rev A00 from november 2004 and not december.

Fixed.

Looks good. Aprox. How many inches wider is the 2005FPW then that 17 Inch?

About 2-3?

585232548[/snapback]

About 4" wider. I was kinda disappointed in the height, because I figured a 20.1" would be taller than a 17". But, I guess that is the sacrifice you make for the WS. I guess that if it was any taller, then it would have to be wider to maintain the 16:10 aspect ratio. It would be awesome if it was 2" taller and 3" wider, but I am extremely happy overall though.

What do you 2005FPW owners have your monitor brightness set to? Coming from a CRT, I feel like my eyes are going to bleed at 10/100.

What should I tweak in my ATI Color Settings? Gamma, brightness or contrast? I have played with all of them a little, but I can't seem to get the best balance of vibrance and brightness.

support@dell.com doesn't work. anyone else know how to email them? I'd really rather not sit on the phone. I have some backlight issues. Just got the monitor today.

What do you 2005FPW owners have your monitor brightness set to? Coming from a CRT, I feel like my eyes are going to bleed at 10/100.

What should I tweak in my ATI Color Settings? Gamma, brightness or contrast? I have played with all of them a little, but I can't seem to get the best balance of vibrance and brightness.

585232762[/snapback]

I've got mine at 50 on both brightness and contrast.

585232762[/snapback]

haha me too, so bright

585232910[/snapback]

yea.....give it 2 days, you will get used to the brightnees, first day i got a headache, it was blinding, second day i was half good, and ive been good since then

585233404[/snapback]

I posted this on some other forums, this is what I did to resolve the issues of it being to bright hooked via DVI, since all you can adjust is brightness, not contrast :)

Cheers

Some of you have been saying that this monitor is to bright. I for one agree... When I unboxed it, turned it on, whoamo! it was way to bright... So I turned the brightness down to zero, but to no avail...

My resolution for this was to go to Color Settings, turn each color down to 70, then turn brightness back up to 23...

My colors are still vivd/accurate and all I can say is WOW to this thing, it replaced a 20" Cornerstone CRT (Gateway used these for awhile)...

I have tried both D-SUB and DVI-D connections and the DVI-D is far better. I turned cleartype on, and that helps a lot for me. I then used the cleartype tweaking tool provided by MS (I also use this on my ACER noteboox, 15.4" LCD) and wow, the improvments.

I have played HalfLife 2 with this at it streached the game perfectly, no ghosting what so ever. I am really happy I got this monitor, I also have much more real estate for when I am doing image editing and web design, I can actually look at code and a real time preview side by side now!

All in all, I am glad I got this monitor it has helped me out...

Ah that works, except I put the brightness at 100, because I guess I'm getting used to it. Still like 40% of the original brightness.

Also, what is cleartype?

Thanks

support@dell.com  doesn't work.  anyone else know how to email them?  I'd really rather not sit on the phone.  I have some backlight issues.  Just got the monitor today.

585233725[/snapback]

As far as I know, as of just a couple weeks ago, you can no longer send direct emails to Dell support. There are "email support" options on their website, but they require a service tag number (and monitors don't come with one). Of course, phone support asks for a service tag too... and good luck finding somone who has a clue what to do when you say you didn't get one.

Come to think of it, you might want to try this: Michael_Dell@dell.com Last I heard, that really is his email address and he does answer emails. :p

Yes, Dell cross-ships replacement parts.  They charge your credit card if you fail to return the original within some number of days.

585227935[/snapback]

10 Days. They bill you if you don't

is it normal for dead/stuck pixels to appear after a couple of days of use?

585232372[/snapback]

Not really "normal", pixels will appear/die after the warm up phase of the monitor. I got my 2001FP the other day, 100% perfect pixels. 30 minutes into it I have a dead one.

If they survive this warm up phase, then they should remain fine.

I am happy with my new DELL 2005FPW, but I feel that it is still one step short of a perfect monitor.

A small remote control would be nice!

So I don't have to go up to the monitor everytime I need to change input source between DVI, S-video and Composite.... or to activate PIP, PBP function!

I have a 25% off Dell LCD coupon that i don't need - Got 2, just bought 1 myself..

You have received the following special offer from Dell: 25% off any Dell Flat Panel

Please use the promotional code provided below toward your purchases at http://www.dell.com/shopnow.

Your discount code is: 1NMFL0BNQJ16SQ (expired today)

Have Fun!!!!

Not really "normal", pixels will appear/die after the warm up phase of the monitor. I got my 2001FP the other day, 100% perfect pixels. 30 minutes into it I have a dead one.

If they survive this warm up phase, then they should remain fine.

585234940[/snapback]

i sholud rephrase, after a couple of warm ups do the dead/stuck pixels appear, e.g. normal use

I am happy with my new DELL 2005FPW, but I feel that it is still one step short of a perfect monitor.

A small remote control would be nice!

So I don't have to go up to the monitor everytime I need to change input source between DVI, S-video and Composite.... or to activate PIP, PBP function!

585235990[/snapback]

Sounds like you could use the exercise.

After weighing my options, I've decided to keep it for now. It's got a 3 year warranty and the backlight issue on mine is not nearly as bad as others. I also have no stuck/dead pixels thank God. I will wait until Dell gets its sh*t together and send it back once all these problems are ironed out. It's seriously the nicest monitor I've ever seen. Anyone contemplating it, wait until they have their obvious production problems fixed and get it. You won't regret it.

thanks to everyone in this thread for helping me out.

-redfive

i sholud rephrase, after a couple of warm ups do the dead/stuck pixels appear, e.g. normal use

585238106[/snapback]

No, they shouldn't. If they do, you'd be pretty unlucky.

Replacement LCD arrived today and it is so much worse than the first.  Originally I had a dead/stuck pixel, a concave effect which I couldn't get rid of (tech support was no help either), some backlight bleeding, and a very annoying pink/purple hue if you are looking at the lcd from anything other than directly ahead. The Original rev is A00, Mexico, November 2004, and the replacement is A00, Mexico, December 2004.  The replacement does not have any dead/stuck pixels, the pink/purple hue is there, but not a factor unless you are at considerably more extreme viewing angle, but the backlighting is terrible.  I've tried to "rub it out" as others have suggested.  The original responded better to it... the replacement is awful.  Looks like I will see what monitor number 3 has to offer.

As far as talking to Dell.  Yes I've had to wait and deal with English as a second language barriers but they have been nice, patient, and have dealt with this professionally.  Fed-ex 'ing and providing return shipping should be expected, but is not always the norm with other companies so it is one less thing for me to gripe about and it is appreciated. The crap-shoot for an acceptable monitor is made easier by the fact that they do bring me one before I have to send one back, and after placing my order I was aware it may come to this, so I'll take it all in stride.  No reason to be that upset yet... hell, I can always get a refund if I get too frustrated.

The replacement is on the left and the original is on the right.  You can also see some of the pink/purple hue in the top right of the right side  monitor... even in the dark.  It is very annoying to deal with... glad to see not all of them look like that.

post-87942-1104820485.jpg

post-87942-1104820507.jpg

post-87942-1104820515.jpg

post-87942-1104820526.jpg

585227857[/snapback]

OK... here we go.... returning the above mentioned ones and placed a new order which saves me another $40. Total is now $521.75. Let's hope this one is acceptable.