Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

In an automated email from Dell

"We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship your order sooner, we are experiencing an unexpected delay with your order and will not be able to ship this order and any associated orders until on or before 01-19-2005.

Please be aware that due to Federal Trade Commission rules, we must have your consent to continue with the order despite the delay. If you do not contact us by 7:00pm Central Standard Time on 01-12-2005, your order will automatically be cancelled."

But of course the last email they sent me said it would be shipped on or before 1-12-2005 and that didn't happen, so I'm not putting too much faith into the date they gave me.

I got a lil question...

can i order my monitor from dell.co.uk if you life anywhere other than the uk?

thanks,

:D ZJODEN

585280689[/snapback]

No.

You have to use your localized Dell.

just ordered mine today

used a 30% off lcds coupon that i bought on ebay to get the price down to $523, then add $23 for tax or so and $40 for overnight shipping.

i wish i looked over the last few posts in this thread before i ordered though, i'm not feeling too confident that ill get it within a decent time period.

Estimated shipping date: Wednesday, January 26, 2005

on the other hand, a while back i ordered a dimension for my friends father and it got to his house much much before the estimated shipping date. i guess its a dice roll baby!

anyways, i was torn in between getting a mac mini or the 2005fpw... i think i made the right decision :D :D :D

these are on MAJOR backorder.. im still waiting on my 3rd and its been 3weeks almost.. they keep canceling/re-ordering so they dont look "bad" ...but uh those pics clearly show that the 2001 is CRAP!!!!!!!!! sucks for all you 2001 owns.....also sucks for us 2005 owners considering the 2405 is coming out in feb (24" ws lcd) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

how do you figure it sucks for 20" owners ? .. you talk as if the 24" was to be the same price as the 20" ..

I was undecided between buying one 23" Apple or 2 x 20" Dells .. so i went for the 2 x 20" .. when the 24" comes out is bound to be that expensive as well.

I just received my 3rd replacement! It's a 2005 Rev. A01

1st - No dead pixels, Major backlight bleeding - November 2004 Rev. A00

2nd - 1 dead pixel, minor backlight bleeding - December 2004 Rev. A00

3rd - No dead pixels!, Will test the backlight later today. - January 2005 Rev. A01

When it gets dark outside i'll see how the backlight is.

A01 are the December 04 / Jan 05 Production run.

Should be hell off a lot better then the previous 2.

I hope mine is a Rev. A01.

Can you take a screenshot of this please so I know straight away when I get mine tomorrow whether its brand new or an oldie.

A01 are the December 04 / Jan 05 Production run.

Should be hell off a lot better then the previous 2.

I hope mine is a Rev. A01.

Can you take a screenshot of this please so I know straight away when I get mine tomorrow whether its brand new or an oldie.

585281510[/snapback]

I will post pictures tonight :yes:

The 2405 will undoubtedly list for at least 1500 based on comparable size LCDs I've seen. It hardly "sucks for 2005FPW owners" that a larger monitor is coming out at twice the cost. The 2005FPW is already very expensive for most people.

The 2405 will undoubtedly list for at least 1500 based on comparable size LCDs I've seen.? It hardly "sucks for 2005FPW owners" that a larger monitor is coming out at twice the cost.? The 2005FPW is already very expensive for most people.

585281696[/snapback]

Even if I would have known about the 2405 before I ordered my 2005 I still would not have purchased one. I got my 2005 for $550 and I know the 2405 will be at least DOUBLE that if not more.

^ Plus, the price will be sky high.

Us.. wel me I dont have money to burn.

24 Inch would be great but overkill for what I would use it for.

17-19 Inch Is more or less Mainstream now...

So im getting a 2005FPW.. Just to keep me that bit in front :)

I just hope its ok :(

BAD NEWS! The A01 2005 monitor SUCKS!!! Dell still didn't fix the backlight issue. It's even worse now :no:

Here are the pics :

My 2nd replacement December rev. A00 (1 bad pixel, almost no backlight bleeding) :

009wg.th.jpg

3rd Replacement Jan. 05 Rev. A01 (no dead pixels, major backlight bleeding)

015nz1.th.jpg

So looks like i'm keeping my 2nd replacement with only 1 dead pixel, at least it doesn't have the backlight issue.

Edited by Ron21

What is the brightness set at with the backlight like that? Is it cranked? I've heard those moitors are really bright. What happens if you play with the settings?

What is the brightness set at with the backlight like that?  Is it cranked?  I've heard those moitors are really bright.  What happens if you play with the settings?

585282621[/snapback]

brightness doesn't matter, I can put the brightness level to 0 and still have the same amount of backlight bleeding.