Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

hmm... why dont you guys all try moving your heads away from the screen.

90% of your problems vanish if your head is more than 3 inch from the screen..

oh btw, the back light issuse is wierd, i had it quite bad in the top left corner, 3 weeks later its gone :D

Do not rub a paper towel on an lcd. That is an awful suggestion since paper towels can easily scratch the screen. And that grid thing is really weird; I have never seen that on an lcd before. In my family we have a samsung 910t, 172t, 193p, and dell 2001fp. None of them have this weird grid thing, dead pixels, or backlight problems. Is that grid pattern inherent to all 2005fpws? Its not on the 2001fp, samsung 213t, or to my knowledge any of the 20-30" apple displays so I would say that it is a pretty uncommon anti-glage technique for 20"+ panels if that's even what it is.

Do not rub a paper towel on an lcd.  That is an awful suggestion since paper towels can easily scratch the screen.  And that grid thing is really weird; I have never seen that on an lcd before.  In my family we have a samsung 910t, 172t, 193p, and dell 2001fp.  None of them have this weird grid thing, dead pixels, or backlight problems.  Is that grid pattern inherent to all 2005fpws?  Its not on the 2001fp, samsung 213t, or to my knowledge any of the 20-30" apple displays so I would say that it is a pretty uncommon anti-glage technique for 20"+ panels if that's even what it is.

585295769[/snapback]

Paper towel won't scratch a regular LCD screen. (unless you have some wierd paper towel)

As for the backlight problem on a Dell 2001fp well take a look :

DSC01035.jpg

Thats a 2001fp on the left and a 2005fpw on the right.

The 20" apple lcd also has this sparkly glaze. I don't know if this is a anti-glare coating. I don't think it is. BTW Dell and Apple both use the same LG LCD's panels.

Maybe that's why I thought the 20" apple looked so weird the other day (the text and graphics looked messed up, whereas it looked fine on the 23" and 30"). And are you sure they use the exact same panel? I wonder why dell inflates their specs so much then... What's the model number on the panel that they share? And yes a paper towel can scratch a regular lcd, lol. That's why you clean them with a soft lintless cloth...to avoid scratching. I certainly hope you don't use windex with that paper towel :laugh:. And the backlight on the 2001fp can vary just like the 2005fpw. I guess my brother just got lucky because his is perfect (even on a digital camera in the dark like that)...

Maybe that's why I thought the 20" apple looked so weird the other day (the text and graphics looked messed up, whereas it looked fine on the 23" and 30").  And are you sure they use the exact same panel?  I wonder why dell inflates their specs so much then...  What's the model number on the panel that they share?  And yes a paper towel can scratch a regular lcd, lol.  That's why you clean them with a soft lintless cloth...to avoid scratching.  I certainly hope you don't use windex with that paper towel :laugh:.  And the backlight on the 2001fp can vary just like the 2005fpw.  I guess my brother just got lucky because his is perfect (even on a digital camera in the dark like that)...

585295841[/snapback]

Well I'm not sure if it's the exact same model number i just know both monitors use LCD panels made by LG. No lol I don't use windex :happy: Just a damp paper towel. I never had any scratches/problems. But anyway yea I guess you just got lucky with the 2001fp though I haven't seen many people complaining about backlight problems on a 2001fp.

That pattern looks like a "screen door" effect. Is it as bad in person as the pic? Is that the finger print thing your taking about?

Also the letters on the desktop pattern look really jagged. Is that because the image is stretched out?

Glad I waited and cancelled my 2005FPW, $750 seemed like alot. I have a friend at DELL who can give me about a $120 discount. But I want to wait and see if I can get it for $550-600. I did get my Audigy 2 ZS, and Z-5500's are still on order.

Can anyone confirm that the 2005fpw comes with a 3 year warranty? I question because, at work we buy Dell's and we asked about the warranty because we have just switched to LCDs. We received an answer that if purchased with a system the warranty is the same as the system warranty. But they said that a Dell LCD purchased alone comes with a 1 year warranty. A non Dell LCD purchased from them also carries a 1 year warranty,

I have read in numerous places in this thread that they come with a 3 year warranty. Does anyone know this for fact?

All LCD's and some CRT's have a "Grid".

and no I don't think the 2005fpw has the "screen door" effect.

585296031[/snapback]

His did. It seems excessive. I've seen bigger pics that look better.

Well I'm not sure if it's the exact same model number i just know both monitors use LCD panels made by LG. No lol I don't use windex  :happy:  Just a damp paper towel. I never had any scratches/problems. But anyway yea I guess you just got lucky with the 2001fp though I haven't seen many people complaining about backlight problems on a 2001fp.

585295949[/snapback]

i do believe the 2001FP is made by benq (Y)

That pattern looks like a "screen door" effect.  Is it as bad in person as the pic?  Is that the finger print thing your taking about?

Also the letters on the desktop pattern look really jagged.  Is that because the image is stretched out?

585295996[/snapback]

The image is a perfect 1680x1050.

The 'grid' (and yes, thats what I was talking about with the finger prints)

Its not as bad as in person, But I can see it... and to be honest its rather bad.

Is this Anti-Glare coating or 'Screen Door' ? (Whats that?)

Im hope I can get this exchanged

Can anyone confirm that the 2005fpw comes with a 3 year warranty?  I question because, at work we buy Dell's and we asked about the warranty because we have just switched to LCDs.  We received an answer that if purchased with a system the warranty is the same as the system warranty.  But they said that a Dell LCD purchased alone comes with a 1 year warranty.  A non Dell LCD purchased from them also carries a 1 year warranty,

I have read in numerous places in this thread that they come with a 3 year warranty.  Does anyone know this for fact?

585297044[/snapback]

Purchased with a Dell Computer the warrenty for the screens are 1 Year.

Purchased without a computer the warrenty is 3 years.

Look... its quite bad in DVD's...

its like grainy...

585300254[/snapback]

Yeah that can't be right. Maybe try installing the driver for the monitor and make sure your graphics driver is up to date. (if you haven't already.) What does it do if you change the resolution?

The second one isn't as bad. Are those photos? if they are then good job with the camera.