Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

I am 4 days into my new January A01 model. I just love it, no dead pixels, minor backbleed that I really have to look hard to notice on top right corner.

However

i almost crapped my pants when I came home and found that DHL had left my brand new monitor on my front porch all afternoon. B@STARDS. I swear the dell site said i had to sign for it.

The picture is amazingly crisp and clear. It is all eye candy.

How do you know if it's the new revision or not?? I set up another exchange (3rd monitor). It just shipped out yesterday(pretty impressive since I set it up the day before).

It says on the box & on the back of the monitor :)

I'll ask the driver when he delivers my replacement if he can take this back, But Dell did not mention when/how to return this one :wacko:

Well I got on to Dell yesterday, all in all the whole process took about 2.5 hours on the phone. Spoke to Tech Support, explained the problem and asked about the possibility of getting a January A01. The support guy was very helpful in truth (irish, not indian thank god), he did his best to see if there was one listed in stock but there wasn't, he was honest about that.

I asked him what my options were and he told me the following:

- next day REFURBISHED replacement.....yeah I want someone else's returned monitor!

- brand new replacement but that will take 7-10 days to get to me!!! I can avail of this option for 21 days after date of invoice, after that it's only the refurbished option.

- refund

At that point I just knew if I got a replacement I would be locking myself into a cycle of sending back faulty monitors for weeks until I got the right one - if ever. Not worth the hassle. I told him I wanted a refund and he put me through to customer care.

This is where it got stupid. I got an Indian Customer Care person and explained the problem to her and told her tech support had forwarded me to them to sort out a refund. After being on hold for ages she told me she was sending me to tech support because it was a technical problem! WTF!!! Are these people born stupid or trained to be this way?!

Back to tech support and eventually got someone (another irish person thankfully) and had to explain it all to her from scratch. The fact that I was sent *back* to tech support by customer care perplexed her too. Eventually it was agreed that they would call me on Monday to arrange the refund.

I better hear from them but I'm not holding my breath so I may have to go through this whole process again!

Neither of the tech support people had heard of this problem, but this is backwater Ireland after all! Credit to the second one, she was very interested in learning more so I emailed her some pictures and discussion board URLs.

It's a real shame because other than the backlighting problem this is a great monitor. I'm gonna hate going back to my old CRT :(

Perhaps in a few months Dell will have this problem sorted and I'll order one then, assuming I haven't found an equivalent widescreen LCD in the mean time.

^ Yup

Dell Customer Support & Technical Support is CRAP!

Half the time they dont even know what Back Light Bleed is. Nor Dead Pixels.

I get them to call me back, I can't afford a ?3-?4 Phone call every couple of days calling Dell and getting no where at all.

Is the 21 days for NEW replacement from the ORIGINAL invoice or the replacement monitor?

Im gunna go crazy if my replacement on Monday is just as bad:angry:y:

IF I HAVE TO ill guess ill try a 3rd Replacement, if not... Ill have to get a refund.

This is terrible.

hi, just got mine in today, and like the pervious poster, yep dhl just leaves it i couldnt believe it.. should i act like i never got it? i have a friend who did the same thing w/ a video camcorder :evil:

Is the 21 days for NEW replacement from the ORIGINAL invoice or the replacement monitor?

From the original invoice date as far as I know. Also, I'm not 100% sure what the situation is with refunds but I don't think there is an unlimited period where you can actually demand a full refund.

I was told 7 days after the invoice date, and if you look at the terms and conditions on their site (linked in the footer) it says the same thing, point 6.

Hmm...I've been able to set up exchanges very quickly (5 minutes). I'm gonna exchange mine until I get a perfect one.

585339800[/snapback]

What are you saying to Tech Support/Customer Services Exactly?

Are you UK or Other?

Hypoxiaicon, you need to just be firm with them. Tell them you want a replacement. They owe it too you. You payed for a perfect monitor and you'll get a perfect monitor. At this point I'd be getting some coupons, too.

Im in the UK.

I cant say it has 4 Dead Pixels I want a replacement. They say it needs to be 8 or more for a replacement, thats Industry Standard.

I mention Back Light bleed and they claim they dont know what it is.

And Im gunna get stinged in phone calls to them, peak rate number. 7p a min for anything upto or above 2 hour calls a day!

Im not hopeful, but do Hope my replacement is perfect.

Currently waiting on my 4th screen to turn up.

First 2 both with dead DVI ports (what?s the chances of that happing!)

Using the 3rd screen as I type. It?s got way too many dead pixels. As I order it in mid December Dell was going to send me a refurbished one. I had to explain it wasn?t fair as I not had a working one yet. Lucky he agreed.

Apart from the problems this is a fantastic screen and I only got it for ?515

Now what to do with the 2 screens they still not picked u:)#33; :)

^ thats right. I got 3 atm.

There supposed to pick the old ones up when the new one arrives or a few days later. But no one has asked for them. Even when I been on the phone to Dell they said nothing about it!

Has anyone played Doom 3 with this monitor, I hear it's really bad because the backlight is so bright?

585341107[/snapback]

Doom 3 is fine. If you leave the brightness at 100 then yes the backlight is overwhelming. I turned mine down to 50 and everything is great.

In your case, don't even argue the pxels. Just tell them you have a defective screen with everything having a fuzzy screen. Also tell them it has uneven lighting. And you either want a complete refund or a replacement. They shouldn't argue. If they do speak with someone higher up the food chain.

Doesn't the UK have a toll free 800 number?

Im in the UK.

I cant say it has 4 Dead Pixels I want a replacement. They say it needs to be 8 or more for a replacement, thats Industry Standard.

I mention Back Light bleed and they claim they dont know what it is.

And Im gunna get stinged in phone calls to them, peak rate number. 7p a min for anything upto or above 2 hour calls a day!

Im not hopeful, but do Hope my replacement is perfect.

585342117[/snapback]

We'll see tomorrow. I REALLY hope its going to be ok, But I just know it won't.

I havent seen 0800 number for Dell.

All Peak/Nation Rate call centres with non-speaking English people.

Toll free... Not sure if this works outside the US though.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...s=dhs&~lt=popup

On the 2 displays you just hook both of them up to your card. Then in the display properties choose the 2nd display in the dropdown and check to use this monitor also.

Are you calling 0870 numbers? From what i can tell that is a National rate whuch is supposed to be free but I guess depends on the carriers. ???

Edited by randy_tho

Doom 3 is fine.? If you leave the brightness at 100 then yes the backlight is overwhelming.? I turned mine down to 50 and everything is great.

585343002[/snapback]

Could you take a look at this and tell me if this is what you experience when playing Doom 3?