Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

My first one is better then my 2nd except the 1st has 2 dead Pixels and now has minor backlight bleed compared to my new one with MAJOR backlight bleed and 1 dead pixel.

I can't sell them. Unless I sell them for ?616.88 to cover the additionlly billed Dell 2005FPW on my credit card, Sorry.

2005fpw7fb.jpg

I'm one of the lucky ones that got a perfect 2005fpw. :p

* January A01 Revision

* 0 dead pixels

* No backlight problems

I ordered mine January 5, 2005 and recieved it in about a week. Been using it

non-stop since with no problem at all. Using DVI from my eVGA 6800NU.

Its a really sweet LCD if you can get a good one.

I have Half-Life 2, DOOM 3, Quake 3 installed and all run flawless.

HL2 & DOOM3 running @ 1280x800 (16x10) & Quake3 @ native 1680x1050.

All three games run without a hitch. Had to turn on vsync to keep it nice & smooth.

I had to add the resolution 1280x800 using the NVidia control panel.

As for DVDs, I have been watching alot and notice no backlight at all.. the real

test came when watching Fight Club which was practically shot in the dark. :D

I had to take some time and setup the colors for the right balance. I Adjusted

both the LCD menu as well as the NVidia driver color menu. Using 65.73 Drivers.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my decision to go LCD (my first one). Paid $554.00

& its been a good experience so far. :cool:

Guys,

I'm waiting on my third.  this is an epidemic.  And at this price I can see why people are venting their frustration.

585350339[/snapback]

I was wondering why this thread was STILL going. I'm sick of seeing it listed. Hurry up Dell and fix the dag on problems. uuuugh.

I'm curious if this thread is really an indication of how bad these monitors are or if it's a case of just those who are having problems that are taking the time to respond.  It seems if Dell was replacing just about everyone's monitor 2 or 3 times there'd be some recalls of some sort.

585347653[/snapback]

No, it's just people who have problems .. I posted a pic of TWO monitors I got right here in the UK .. Rev A00 December .. and they are Perfect .. nobody comented on them :D

or maybe just a couple of bad monitors which people have been vocal about.  Seriously, i doubt anyone with a good working monitor from dell even looks at this thread.  Lets get a shout out from anyone out there with a nice working dell 2004/5 fp,

585350191[/snapback]

whoohoo .. Mine arrive today

1 monitor has a pixel stuck on green, towards the right of the screen, I cant see it unless I put a whole black screen and spend a few actually lookign for it ..

the other has no stuck pixels

no visible backlight wash, if there is any, I am not bothered for it, so i wont go nuts looking for it either :)

585293778[/snapback]

I was wondering why this thread was STILL going.  I'm sick of seeing it listed.  Hurry up Dell and fix the dag on problems. uuuugh.

585352606[/snapback]

This thread probably won't go away for quite a while. The best thing for you to do is to do like most of us do when we don't liek a thread and ignore it. (Y)

It will run just fine. I have a BFG 6800 OC, and it had no problems at all :) 1680x1050 is lower and all. ;)

Will the 1680x1050 resolution work on vanilla 6800 in DVI? It says 1600x1200 is max, but I'm not sure.

585358454[/snapback]

Just one more tidbit. :)

For anyone who runs Adobe Photoshop, make sure you go into the Windows Control Panel and run Adobe Gamma in there. The default color settings for the 2005fpw were off a bit and it looks better after you run Adobe Gamma.

hey guys. I just paid for the dell 2005 fpw over on ebay. the seller advertised the auction as rev a01 upopened, sealed brand new box with 3 year warranty. my question is, how do i get the warranty from dell when i didnt buy it directly from them? i paid 607 shipped and i should be getting my monitor by tuesday. what do u guys think? i cant wait to receive

hey guys. I just paid for the dell 2005 fpw over on ebay. the seller advertised the auction as rev a01 upopened, sealed brand new box with 3 year warranty. my question is, how do i get the warranty from dell when i didnt buy it directly from them? i paid 607 shipped and i should be getting my monitor by tuesday. what do u guys think? i cant wait to receive

585363106[/snapback]

They used to have a warranty transfer process you could do online. I don't know if they do it now or if it even applies to the screen.

Then again you may just be warrantied since you bought it unopened.

585363106[/snapback]

Dell service tags are tied to the product not the buyer. You don't need to do anything. Warrenty comes with the monitor.

Cool.

Im waiting for a respsonce from a Dell UK Complaint Email I submitted.

If No luck... I think Ill get the replacement picked up and keep my original.. Or go for a 3rd.. I dont hold out much luck though!

does anyone know if the usb cable for the monitor is needed? or is it only for if you wish to use the usb connectors on the monitor itself?

585364871[/snapback]

You answered your own question :)

wtf...My 3rd one and it still has the same blacklight problem.....Is it so hard to make a monitor without problems???? argh, another return for me...when will this stop

btw, this is my second Revision A01, same problems for both

I've just had a call from Dell.

I couldn't understand a word she was saying, But it seemed like she is arranging collection for a monitor on the 1st February & asked if I would be in and comfirmed my address.

Now, The replacement I got is worse then my original so i'll pack up my replacement, hopefully they are not expecting a exact Serial Number monitor back.

I'm sick of it, the amount of times you don't get the perfect monitor is more times then people who do. I also think, the people who say there's is perfect don't actually know what backlight bleed is.

Unless I get reply back from the complains email I sent, which is suppose to be replied to in 24 hours, Thats there Promise, no reply on the 3rd day so im not holding much hope for that.

So... i'm going to put up with 2 dead Pixels and moderate backlight bleed (Moderate compared to my replacement anyway)

Note: Im talking about Dell UK.

I was planning on purchasing this LCD but I have been to 4 forums on this monitor and everyone is complaining about it. Some have had 4 replacements without being satisfied. I think Dell bought some crappy displays and are trying to pass them off for a low cost... I just don't know. At first glance I just loved the look of the monitor but what am I supposted to do when I hear all these complaints? My other options are the NEC LCD2080UX+BK or the CRT NEC FP2141SB-BK. Anyone have any of these or have seen some good reviews on them? I also came across the CRT widescreen Sony FW900 but it doesn't come in black so that is out of the question. The Apple Cinema 20" is also nice. But what are the chances of getting the same problems with these other brands as with the Dell?

On another note, what does Dell do with all these LCD that are sent back? Are they sold again? :no: I hope not. Do they just replace the display in the case and sell it as new again? That is another reason why I'm skeptical on purchasing this display. With the return rate I'm seeing, what if it already was in someones home in another part of the country and was sold to me for full price? That would be unjust and unacceptable. :crazy: