Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

Ya I just bought one in January and mine has only 1 dead pixel when the screen is completely black. I think I was lucky to get one with only 1 dead pixel. I have heard of multiple dead pixels and most companies won't let you send it back unless it has 6 or more. Dell is awesone and will replace it with only 1 but I don't think its that big of a deal. I don't think I could be without for that long.

thanks for your help. i'm gonna keep it. i hear it may even go away after awhile

one question: should I be seeing black bars on the tops when watching widescreen dvds? I'm watching Matrix Reloaded and Fast & Furious 2

thanks for your help. i'm gonna keep it. i hear it may even go away after awhile

one question: should I be seeing black bars on the tops when watching widescreen dvds? I'm watching Matrix Reloaded and Fast & Furious 2

585442251[/snapback]

depends on how the DVD was coded.

If it was formatted correctly then you will see small black bars at the top and bottom because the aspect ratio on the monitor is 16:10 and DVD's are coded at 16:9.

If it's formatted by monkeys (which quite a few are) then you will get large black bars at the top and bottom and the picture will look stretched.

hmm, i just remembered. when i booted up the monitor (picture) was freaking out. the picture was jumping everywhere and when windows was loading it was scrolling down like a filmstrip kind of and got me dizzy. everything was fine when i saw the st art bar and everything. what is wrong?

Now I have to buy a monitor, my CRT is dying on me :(

I hope all of these monitors are straightened out, my mom says I might be able to get one, and I want 20" widescreen so badly :D

hmm, i just remembered. when i booted up the monitor (picture) was freaking out. the picture was jumping everywhere and when windows was loading it was scrolling down like a filmstrip kind of and got me dizzy. everything was fine when i saw the st art bar and everything. what is wrong?

585443651[/snapback]

hey did it fix itself with the Jumping around?

let me know ?

585443651[/snapback]

I have seen this before somewhere, but can't remember where. What video car do you have? Maybe a BIOS setting that could fix it. Or it might fix itself. Also maybe a stretch setting on the monitor.

another question lol... when I watch dvds or movies full screen on my radeon 9600 se should it be stuttering. it doesn't seem smooth. i have mine connected dvi and my resoultion is 1680 1050

another question lol... when I watch dvds or movies full screen on my radeon 9600 se should it be stuttering. it doesn't seem smooth. i have mine connected dvi and my resoultion is 1680 1050

585444777[/snapback]

i don't think it should be stuttering.

just my tought :p

:D ZJODEN

No, shouldn't be any stuttering. I've done DVD's full screen on mine using both a Radeon 9600 Mobility and a GF6800 via DVI and don't notice this. Maybe you are explaining it oddly? Does everything sort of jerk around, or do you get sort of 'waves' going down when watching DVDs, etc?

Hmm maybe i should do a review of the Sony SDM-p234 I got a few weeks ago (23" widescreen, 1920x1200 native res)

No dead pixels and no backlight leakage :)

Edited by Chris123NT

I bought a 2005fpw from ebay about a week ago and it was brand new unopened box with 3 years warranty. it was the A01 model manufactured in Jun 2005. when i received it, it had 3 dead pixels and moderate backlight issues which wasnt too bad and one of the usb ports was slightly smashed in. obviously, the backlight issue were nonexistant when viewing a regular background as long as it wasnt all black. I complained to the seller last thursday and he told me he would contact dell for me and have it replaced. Now, I did get the monitor yesterday from dell and i was totally surprised to say the least. Anyways, the monitor I got from dell to replace the brand new one i got from ebay was a refurbished one. it came already assembled unlike the ebay purchase which was pre-assembled, it had the revision number A00 on it but a sticker with A01 was placed next to it, finally, the box it came in says in clear print REFURBISHED. im asking for your advise as to what to do. my primary concerns is if my warranty will apply to this refurbushed monitor. Though i do have another little concern i'm willing to let go for the sake of peace. the New monitor i got has nothing wrong with the USB and has no Backlight issues whatsoever. However, it has 6 dead pixels which arent noticable unless the background is completely black (like in the DOS screen) i guess i'll be willing to accept that if i knew my warranty is still 3 years and valid. but just out of curiousity, Was i really suppose to get a used refurbished monitor from dell to replace a brand new one? or did dell screw up? please advise me what to do and what you think.

I bought a 2005fpw  from ebay about a week ago and it was brand new unopened box with  3 years warranty. it was the A01 model manufactured in Jun 2005. when i received it, it had 3 dead pixels and moderate backlight issues which wasnt too bad and one of the usb ports was slightly smashed in. obviously, the backlight issue were nonexistant when viewing a regular background as long as it wasnt all black. I complained to the seller last thursday and he told me he would  contact dell for me and have it replaced. Now, I did get the monitor yesterday from dell and i was totally surprised to say the least. Anyways, the monitor I got from dell to replace the brand new one i got from ebay was a refurbished one. it came already assembled unlike the ebay purchase which was pre-assembled, it had the revision number A00 on it but a sticker with A01 was placed next to it, finally, the box it came in says in clear print REFURBISHED. im asking for your advise as to what to do. my primary concerns is if my warranty will apply to this refurbushed monitor. Though i do have another little concern i'm willing to let go for the sake of peace. the New monitor i got has nothing wrong with the USB and has no Backlight issues whatsoever. However, it has 6 dead pixels which arent noticable unless the background is completely black (like in the DOS screen) i guess i'll be willing to accept that if i knew my warranty is still 3 years and valid. but just out of curiousity, Was i really suppose to get a used refurbished monitor from dell to replace a brand new one? or did dell screw up? please advise me what to do and what you think.

585446012[/snapback]

Same warranty applies as the initial monitor was new, how does this one look?

i'm trying to see how I can reword my problem. I guess i'm not getting high frame rates? It seems to skip here and there. it seems like its using alot of power to show it. it's straining.

my pc isn't that bad. are there any settings I should try? video acceleration in wmp is at full (i thought maybe that was it)

athlon xp 2700+ 2.16ghz 768 mb ram radeon 9600 se

Just got my 3rd Dell 2005FPW (2nd Replacement) its A01 February Revision.

Only had it turned on about 10 minutes ago.

No dead pixels as of yet.

I do have Backlight bleed though, especially from the bottom left..... Will see how it goes in the next few hours whether I keep this or not.

good luck hypoxiaicon! I think I may return mine with two dead pixels and some backlight problems because I have nothing to lose. it's good that you don't have to send yours to them first.

I updated to the newest drivers for the 2nd time I beileve that fixed my dvd problem.

ahh, that sucks. me personally woudl only want a perfect one but that is just me. the startup problem fixed itself. only the first two times it was wierd but now it is perfect. good luck to you all..

hah, i was just thinkin of makin a 2005fpw forum just for the 2005fpw and how its amazing. would you guys be active there? lol

also, i am looking to upgrade my video card. i want it to game well but it doesnt have to be amazing. i am looking for 100 or below. thanks again

I am on my SEVENTH replacement.

I actually yelled at the dell guy on the phone when I talked to him. He was trying to give me some bs that every monitor I'm going to get sent is going to be defective.

I will not accept that...

I am on my SEVENTH replacement.

I actually yelled at the dell guy on the phone when I talked to him. He was trying to give me some bs that every monitor I'm going to get sent is going to be defective.

I will not accept that...

585448337[/snapback]

Maybe you should give up and get a 2001FP instead. :ninja: