Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

Heres the BEST part.

A friend of mine (idiot) was dead set on purchasing the dell xps system all crazy stylee.

He spent ~$4000 on it and got the 2005FPW. (only an 80gb hdd... didn't want to pay 10 for 160gb... hence the idiot).

His 2005FPW is perfect.

Wonder if its just coincidence that his 2005FPW is perfect or what...

GOOD GOD!!! SEVENTH LCD!

i comend you on trying sooo hard to get a 2005FP, but in all honesty, i think you should be demanding your money back, AND ONLY take a 2005FP if they give you some sweet deal, like another one at half price, cause....

GOOD GOD, SEVEN!?!?!?!??!

Damn right its excessive.

I didn't realize how many times I've sent it back until I looked at my dell order history...

Is there a monitor thats the same size and similar specs for ~$600 (what I paid shipped)... I don't believe so, so I'll fight though the exchanges till I get one thats up to par.

Hey everyone... I just wanted to clarify a few questions about this monitor. I've searched through some of the thread but I'm still a bit uncertain about a couple things.

I'm thinking of getting a 2005FP for a Media Center PC soon which will be used for TV viewing a lot. If a TV show is in standard 4:3 mode, will the 2005FP stretch the image across the screen or can it be set to add black bars on the sides to maintain the aspect ratio?

Also, when viewing a widescreen DVD does it completely fill the screen or are there small black bars at the top and bottom still?

Thanks.

^ For 4:3 it will add the black bars on the side.

Since movies are 16:9 and the monitor is 16:10 then you will have some black bars. Depending on how the movie was fomatted you may have large black bars or small ones. Read my earlier post.

^ Dead Pixels dont aways go away by rubbing them :p

I got mine 3 days and left the panel out of the box to warm up for 2 days before I turned it on, Whether it had any effect - I dont know... It could of had no dead pixels anyway But who knows ;)

The leak is pretty bad now.... Ive tried rubbing about with no luck. Also there is minimal bleed at the top all along.

Ill have a play later on or tomorrow.

I heard that the panels are fixed too tighly to the housing this causing a lot of pressure on the LCD panels and causing the bleeds.

I may have a look into that also.

Will I be keeping this? .... If Dell ring and ask if im happy. Im saying no and taking it from there.

Would I get another replacement? Yes

Im not ringing them. They usually ring me once a week arranging a collection or Courtesy call (Really Good I dont have to call and explain anymore) and I just say its worse then the original and they usually ask would I like another, I Say yes. And n 3-4 days there is a new Dell 2005FPW on my doorstep by 9am. Thats good Support.... And thats good Dell support. Its when you ring them and get put on hold and have to explain yourself over and over that sucks.

Will post picture of the leak later also :)

what i was asking though is how do you try to get rid of leak? it sounds like you said that you tried to get ride of it

585454345[/snapback]

Use a soft cloth and rub the leak around... like into the corners... Its never worked for me.

ahh dude that sucks, but hey its better to get it than not. thats still not a really bad price but you couldve done better. let us know how it goes!

ps. i hope you didnt pay a lot extra for overnight shipping because their ground shipping takes probably two days. it is really fast

ahh dude that sucks, but hey its better to get it than not.  thats still not a really bad price but you couldve done better. let us know how it goes!

ps. i hope you didnt pay a lot extra for overnight shipping because their ground shipping takes probably two days. it is really fast

585458495[/snapback]

Aye I paid $40USD for overnight, ground takes 3-4 days for me. And I wan't it Monday afternoon. lol!

Aye I paid $40USD for overnight, ground takes 3-4 days for me. And I wan't it Monday afternoon. lol!

585458566[/snapback]

Dell is stupid. Everything that gets shipped from Dell shows up as "ground" in UPS no matter what shipping you choose. You will get it tomorrow. I ran into the same problem when I ordered 2 day.

Dell is stupid.  Everything that gets shipped from Dell shows up as "ground" in UPS no matter what shipping you choose.  You will get it tomorrow.  I ran into the same problem when I ordered 2 day.

585459310[/snapback]

Does anyone know the viewable WxH of the lcd?

Let us know how it turns out when you recieve it Dr Thodt, I'm still on whether or not I should buy this. I'm building a new system and I'm going to have some money so I'm between this and just getting a 2001FP.

Let us know how it turns out when you recieve it Dr Thodt, I'm still on whether or not I should buy this. I'm building a new system and I'm going to have some money so I'm between this and just getting a 2001FP.

585462392[/snapback]

Will do.

EDIT: Hopefully I'll get a perfect one, and Dell wont suck. Just like they didn't suck when they gave me the new Z-5500. But Dell does screw up alot. FOr instance. Friday I received an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO, I had cancelled almost 3 months ago and shows up as cancelled but was never credited back.