Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

Is there any way to hook this up to a hdtv cable box with the dvi to watch tv on it? I'm sure theres an obvious reason why a direct connection won't work, I just don't know it. Any kind of module or adapter needed? I know with some view sonic monitors you need to buy some kind of adapter module to ge hdtv on their screens. Thanks.

585047309[/snapback]

Yes you just plug the DVI cable into your HDTV Cable Box. If you have ATI you can force 720p in the control panel. :)

Yes you just plug the DVI cable into your HDTV Cable Box. If you have ATI you can force 720p in the control panel. :)

585047661[/snapback]

Could you elaborate on this force 720p? I don't have the nice one from dell yet, its on its way ^.^ but I tried with my samsung 19" LCD monitor and it wouldn't get any picture when I directly plugged my monitor to the DVI behind my hdtv box.

How will that work though once I disconnect the monitor from the computer and plug it into the hdtv box? it will still keep the settings?

Edit: OUCH! The part where it says it could damage my screen scares me.

How will that work though once I disconnect the monitor from the computer and plug it into the hdtv box? it will still keep the settings?

Edit: OUCH! The part where it says it could damage my screen scares me.

585048121[/snapback]

It can't damager your screen, since your screen is physicaly able to display it.

If you can display 1680x1050 (2005FPW) or 1600x1200 (2001FP) then your display can handle 720p (1280x720).

Get an HDTV Tuner for your computer. I think that'll work.

Hi every one!

I just bought the 2005fpw because of this site and it is awsome!

I had a problem at first getting my laptop to display at 1680x1050. I even called compaq, omg what a waste. He kept repeating the max resolution of the mobile radeon 7500.

My problem was that 1680x1050 was not showing up as an option. It could go as high as 2048x1536 though. I figured the problem is that my vid card driver was not reconizing the proper dimesnions from the lcd diver (ini file).

I had to use a third party util, powerstrip. No this is not a plug, I just remember using it for CS.

As for the debate between regular and wide. Wider is better, for me at least. As a developer not having lines wrap is a big help. I don't mind scrolling up or down, i have a wheel mouse for that.

Thanks,

gD

Hi every one!

I just bought the 2005fpw because of this site and it is awsome!

I had a problem at first getting my laptop to display at 1680x1050. I even called compaq, omg what a waste. He kept repeating the max resolution of the mobile radeon 7500.

My problem was that 1680x1050 was not showing up as an option. It could go as high as 2048x1536 though. I figured the problem is that my vid card driver was not reconizing the proper dimesnions from the lcd diver (ini file).

I had to use a third party util, powerstrip. No this is not a plug, I just remember using it for CS.

As for the debate between regular and wide. Wider is better, for me at least. As a developer not having lines wrap is a big help. I don't mind scrolling up or down, i have a wheel mouse for that.

Thanks,

gD

585048657[/snapback]

You should not use VGA for this screen. You should use DVI. I feel bad for your 2005FPW. :no:

DSCN1026.JPG

notice the faded black? is that normal.. its not that bad as in pic but those are the areas it shows up as a greyish tone..... do i send back for another one? or is this common in lcds..?

notice the faded black? is that normal.. its not that bad as in pic but those are the areas it shows up as a greyish tone..... do i send back for another one? or is this common in lcds..?

585048898[/snapback]

does anyone else who owns this monitor have any input on the black levels? i'm really thinking about getting the widescreen, but the lack of a true black is generally awful to look at. in the original review it looked alright, but who knows........anyone with the monitor have comments?

thanks.

-zach

mine is REALLY not that bad, zach. when all the lights are off it's more of a problem but still not really that bad. it seems like this is an issue that changes from screen to screen though...

with dell's policy, do they send you a new screen before you send back your old one? it'd be nice to compare the two...

No, it is just a standard backlight problem. I have it even worse than the poster (the one on the top right is almost in the center and 2x as bright as the others). Returning mine for a new one....at least Dell is good about that.

DVI here, too. Also, the one person with the weird resolution problem... I have something like that on my 2nd PC using a Radeon Mobility 9600, where it only lets me do 1680x1050 in 16 bit color, which is odd.

VGA or DVI? if you're using VGA, maybe thats why?

off to my music theory final!

585051035[/snapback]

the backlight/black level is a pretty big issue for me, unfortunately, as I do like to sit in the dark a lot :)

Good job I've got plenty of time, before I buy, to see how you lot get on.

It's like having my own flock of guinnea pigs :D

You should not use VGA for this screen. You should use DVI. I feel bad for your 2005FPW. :no:

585048796[/snapback]

Errr?

I?m happy to report that I am using DVI. The docking station of my laptop has DVI, VGA and S-video output.

No 2005FPW has been hurt during the composition of this post.

:no:o:

hey everyone, i finally received my monitor! i didnt find any dead pixels so far. i used this dead pixel test. go down to the calibrator. the calibration window wouldnt take up the whole screen so i just dragged the window around the whole monitor. as far as backlighting, im not too certain because the sun is up and my monitor is against my window. it doesnt seem as bad as everyone is making it, we will see when the sun sets. this thing is BRIGHT :blink: better have some shades or turn it down.

quick question. i bought spider-man 2 superbit edition. for some reason it wont play it as widescreen on this monitor. its still 4:3 aspect ratio. fyi, superbit is widescreen. help please. thanks

hey everyone, i finally received my monitor! i didnt find any dead pixels so far. i used this dead pixel test. go down to the calibrator. the calibration window wouldnt take up the whole screen so i just dragged the window around the whole monitor. as far as backlighting, im not too certain because the sun is up and my monitor is against my window. it doesnt seem as bad as everyone is making it, we will see when the sun sets. this thing is BRIGHT  :blink: better have some shades or turn it down.

quick question. i bought spider-man 2 superbit edition. for some reason it wont play it as widescreen on this monitor. its still 4:3 aspect ratio.  fyi, superbit is widescreen. help please. thanks

585053337[/snapback]

wow thats a great tool

Man, I can't believe I didn't see your review before today. :D

Great review, I own the Viewsonic VP171b, got at Dell in August 2003 for around $550, can't believe a 20" Widescreen LCD is now selling for $680!

Good pictures too.

Man, I can't believe I didn't see your review before today.  :D

Great review, I own the Viewsonic VP171b, got at Dell in August 2003 for around $550, can't believe a 20" Widescreen LCD is now selling for $680!

Good pictures too.

585054336[/snapback]

Where did you get $680? My Calculations come to WAYYY under $680.00

Also, What is the size of the bezel on the 2005fpw?

I didn't mean $680 as in right now, more as I bought from Dell last year a 17-inch monitor for $550 and now a 20-inch widescreen sells for this price or less.

PS I live in Hawaii, there is no free shipping to Hawaii, we pay 2 or 3 day AIR, so if the 20-inch monitor was selling for $600, it will cost me $675 or more (depending on weight) to get it here...