Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

Ok, on this back lighting thing, perhaps I am confused and possibly suffering from the same problem. When I fired it up, I turned the brightness all the way down, and it was still way to bright...

I corrected mine and everything looks the same, by reducing each color spectrum to 70, then increaseing the brightness back to 23. This is my first LCD screen, so I am not to sure what I am looking for, I will post some photo tonight, working 14 hours of OT today :)

Ok, on this back lighting thing, perhaps I am confused and possibly suffering from the same problem. When I fired it up, I turned the brightness all the way down, and it was still way to bright...

I corrected mine and everything looks the same, by reducing each color spectrum to 70, then increaseing the brightness back to 23. This is my first LCD screen, so I am not to sure what I am looking for, I will post some photo tonight, working 14 hours of OT today :)

585122273[/snapback]

Here is how to find out if you have backlight bleeding or not...

Open this black wallpaper in Windows picture and fax viewer.

Now click on the slideshow button and pause the slideshow. This will make your entire screen black.

Make sure you do this after the sun goes down and you turn all the lights off in your room.

post-31730-1103383498_thumb.jpg

post-83910-1103344484_thumb.jpg

New to the forums and decided to post my expierence so far with my new 2005fpw.

I recieved the LCD on Tuesday afternoon and upon opening the box I was shocked at how large the panel is. It dwarfs my 19" NEC CRT. Color and clarity is amazing on this thing. Any eyestrain problems I had are simply non-exsistent now and I can't imagine going back to a CRT.

Good news and bad news. Good - no dead pixels. Bad - severe backlighting problems. When I first fired it up I did'nt notice the backlighting issue until after a couple hours of using it. It seemed to get worse overtime and during regular apps, games (like unreal, however not such as doom 3 due to the game being very dark), internet browsing, etc. it is not at all noticiable. But watching a movie ecspecially with dark scenes it is horrible.

So I have been trying to contact dell about getting a replacement. I e-mailed them the day I got it about the backlighting with no response yet (supposed to get a response within 24 hours, been 3 days) and I have tried calling and have been put on hold for well over an hour and ended up getting nowhere due to me not being able to be on the phone for that long (busy). I will have plenty of time this weekend to try and get ahold of them though.

So my question to anyone who has succesfully gotten dell to send a replacement out what method did you use? E-mail, phone? Am I simply having bad luck or is it due to the holidays? Any advice is welcome...

Thanks in advance.

585120424[/snapback]

Ouch, thats far worse then the three that I sent back, I had the best luck with support@dell.com. I used the email option for 2 out of the three replacements and each was handled under 30 minutes

Ouch, thats far worse then the three that I sent back, I had the best luck with support@dell.com. I used the email option for 2 out of the three replacements and each was handled under 30 minutes

585122359[/snapback]

Well good news, I finally recieved an e-mail from Dell this morning and I guess due to so many already complaining about backlighting they simply understand the problem and want to get shipping info right away to send a new one out.

I will update when I get the new one. The picture sure does make the backlighting look far more worse than it really is. Its still the same amount shown in the picture, but the color is a very dim gray.

To tick... thanks for the info. When did you contact them? I used the same e-mail Tuesday night and reieved an e-mail back this morning (Satuday) lol. It must be due to the holidays or something.

So, wish me luck on my new one...

Just got mine yesterday, had to fight the DHL guy for it, they suck ass. He went to the wrong house. I have one tiny dead pixel, cant even see it, no backlight issues that I can see.post-86436-1103391389_thumb.jpg

Just got mine yesterday, had to fight the DHL guy for it, they suck ass. He went to the wrong house. I have one tiny dead pixel, cant even see it, no backlight issues that I can see.post-86436-1103391389_thumb.jpg

585122907[/snapback]

Sweeet :drool:

Welcome to neowin (Y)

Here is how to find out if you have backlight bleeding or not...

Open this black wallpaper in Windows picture and fax viewer.

Now click on the slideshow button and pause the slideshow. This will make your entire screen black.

Make sure you do this after the sun goes down and you turn all the lights off in your room.

585122303[/snapback]

ok, ill try this later on tonight, but i believe i have some backlighting issues...i havent noticed them until now, so obviously its not that bad...i really dont care, butjust curious now

I'm not quite sure...how do I check...and are the earlier worse off than the newest revisions or something?

585123031[/snapback]

check in the back of the monitor by the barcode. most likely yours is REVA00 but i could be wrong. so far, the earlier batches have been bad. i have heard of a REVA01 lately.

still no coupons for canadians? :( im really dieing to get my hands on this monitor, but its either get a coupon, or wait for the price to come down more ;)

585128521[/snapback]

I got a 25% off coupon but it's only for U.S purchases :whistle:

well if anyone comes across any canadian coupons, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know, this would be a great christmas present to myself ;) and also, my eyes are KILLINNGGG me using this samsung 955df 19" crt radiation box! ;)

well if anyone comes across any canadian coupons, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know, this would be a great christmas present to myself ;) and also, my eyes are KILLINNGGG me using this samsung 955df 19" crt radiation box! ;)

585129056[/snapback]

does dell have canadian coupons?

I just bought one. I need some help... I have only regular PCI slots availible on my motherboard and was wondering which card would work with the 2005fpw and would support the widescreen? Could my old built in video card support it? Thanks guys remember its only PCI NOT Pci Express or AGP

Link to my motherbaord. http://www.ecsusa.com/products/p4s5mg_gl.html

585131486[/snapback]

Get a Geforce 5200 PCI and make sure it has DVI.

Don't use this monitor with VGA you're basically shooting yourself in the foot.

*Whines 3rd thread i need a 25% Coupon... pretty please? For me? :blush: There $1,100 USD in the UK (?616) a 25% off would be awesome!!*

Does it come with a DVI Cable... I think my 9800 Pro 128MB Might have one... not sure. I'll use DVI when I get one though.

Are most of the ones shipping now fault free? Because with my luck (Or lack of) Ill get a dodgy one and have get a replacement.

Does Dell UK Offer the same policy regarding Dead Pixels? LIke if there is one you ring up and ask for another?