Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

Apply this coupon for 35% off: MXHR9GPW46WWWJ

Brings the total down to $486.85 plus tax/shipping.

585741781[/snapback]

I was just going to post that. Plus there is a $35 off for Dell Preferred account. What is that account? A credit card or something?

I was just going to post that. Plus there is a $35 off for Dell Preferred account. What is that account? A credit card or something?

585741814[/snapback]

Basically. I'm not sure of the specifics of it though.

i finally decided to order it online, i got 150? of discount if i buy it before next week or so..

now let's hope it's here in a week.. and with no dead pixels! (it will be har:):)

Well the stuck pixels on the 2nd monitor aren't very noticable even on black. I have to be about a few inches from the screen to be able to see them. With a normal viewing distance of 2 feet or more, I doubt they'll cause any annoyance.

Right now my main concern is the 3 dead pixels on the monitor I'm currently using since they're much more visible. They are at least off to the corner so ussually I don't see them. It kinda looks like there's a piece of lint on the screen. I really only see them when I close out of a window. I'll see how things are over the next week or so before I make a decision to send it back.

I'm mainly holding off on a replacement for two reasons: the hassle of sending this one back and fears that the replacement monitor could be worse.

Just to clarify things: If I were to replace this, would Dell first send me a new monitor before I have to send this one back? Also, would they cover return shipping on the "defective" display? Is it possible to have UPS pick it up from my house?

Thanks.

585741109[/snapback]

That's exactly why I'm keeping my 2nd monitor if things don't get any worse (actually... I _WILL_ be keeping it cuz Dell just sent me a return label)... Anyway, I figured that I'll never notice that pixel unless Dell provides me with a "scratch-and-sniff" addon :p , so I might as well live with it in case I get a replacement that is worse.

I would say definitely replace the first one. Reason why is because your two reasons for holding off can be...avoided. There's no hassle at all with returning the monitor, just pack it up, print off a label and call UPS. If you're not home during the day, you can easily bring it over to a UPS station in the evenings. Secondly, if its worse, you can call Dell and complain about their lack of abilities to produce a working product and that you'd like a discount... ;) And yes, they send you a new monitor first, then they pay for your return shipping. Do it now, or risk kicking yourself in 6 months when all you can get is a refurbished monitor (which will definitely be bad because it'll be one that someone on these forums returned!) :p

Well the exchange is setup, although I went through hell trying to get someone to process my request. I first tried online order support chat, and was told to talk with someone in tech support chat. Problem is, you can't start a tech support chat without a service tag, which Dell monitors do not have. So I tried phone support, but the automated system once again prompted me for a service tag. Tried to email tech support, and yep... you guessed it... service tag required. :angry:

So I sent an angry email to the regular customer care support, explaining what I went through and briefly what was wrong with the monitor. Got an email back a few hours later apologizing and asking me for my information so they can send a new monitor. :cool:

So hopefully the new one will be dead-pixel free. :wacko:

Hi guys, wondered if some of you could help me out, im about to buy one of these from the US, im situated in the UK and am concerned about compatability with power plugs and power sockets etc. voltage..bla blabal, I dont think it will come with a uk power plug , can i just buy one from somewhere ? or is the monitor going to be setup for running on US voltage......Hope this makes sense, any advice or input much appreciated

Thanks

Nick

anyone know the delivery times for the uk?

i ordered mine on the 6th and it is still in "production" stage

which seems abit strange... but never mind

i want my damn monitor!! :p

Hi, I just got my FPW , however it is a bit too bright to me. Is there any way (3rd party program) to decrease the brightness of it. Physically I reduced it to 0, but still bright. My eyes hurts. Already adjusted Gamma settings at the videocard settings. I am using it via DVI. Please share your thoughts on it.

I am using an ATI radeon 9000 with my Dell Latitude D600. I did changed the controls Gamma: 80, brightness -10, and contrast 95. But if I lower these setting any more it affects the graphics, like cannot see pictures details in AcdSee or some like this.

It is a good monitor. I think the backlight issue is overreacted. Mine has a few, but only noticeable when nothing on the screen instead of pure black (like the end of slideshow screen in Powerpoint). 1680x1050 seems like very large according to what I expected. I mean the fonts and icons are large. I would go for smaller if I could. (maybe because I came from a 14" 1400x1050 laptop screen, where I had smaller from everything.)

Hi, I just got my FPW , however it is a bit too bright to me. Is there any way (3rd party program) to decrease the brightness of it.

585764787[/snapback]

I can't remember if it does it but Power Strip might help you.

Hi, I just got my FPW , however it is a bit too bright to me. Is there any way (3rd party program) to decrease the brightness of it. Physically I reduced it to 0, but still bright. My eyes hurts. Already adjusted Gamma settings at the videocard settings. I am using it via DVI. Please share your thoughts on it.

585764787[/snapback]

Posted somewhere earlier on this thread...

Go into the OSD, dumb-down the colours all to 70 in the User Defined area... Things should be fine and dandy there... It's better to do this on the monitor since if you dual boot, your settings are only operating system dependent and can be rather annoying if the screen settings aren't the same...

Enjoy!

I just got my 2005fpw too, and I'm having VERY SERIOUS backlight leakage at four corners. They're so bad that when I'm watching 24 I feel like watching a "dreamy" movie all the way thru because of all four big chuck of lighter corners. Dell CSR will hear from me very soon... I didn't expect the leakage to be this bad, I'll post a pic soon.

It handles up to 240V, so you'll be ok. Just need a plug adapter, the voltage will be fine.

Hi guys, wondered if some of you could help me out, im about to buy one of these from the US, im situated in the UK and am concerned about compatability with power plugs and power sockets etc. voltage..bla blabal, I dont think it will come with a uk power plug , can i just buy one from somewhere ? or is the monitor going to be setup for running on US voltage......Hope this makes sense, any advice or input much appreciated

Thanks

Nick

585753921[/snapback]

I just got my 2005fpw too, and I'm having VERY SERIOUS backlight leakage at four corners. They're so bad that when I'm watching 24 I feel like watching a "dreamy" movie all the way thru because of all four big chuck of lighter corners. Dell CSR will hear from me very soon... I didn't expect the leakage to be this bad, I'll post a pic soon.

585765510[/snapback]

You should see the revision A00 15" Dell LCD's at my school (not the UltraSharp, the normal) the backlight bleeds on all of the sides except the corners :pinch:

Just a quick answer for myself (and maybe someone else):

Dealing with huge brightness (one solution...)

Set your monitor to the following: Brightness 0, red 80, green, 80, blue 77. This seems to be a good solution. However you can give a shot to your video card gamma settings also.

Where are you at with this whole thing xxkrnxstylezxx? Getting another one or what?

585766468[/snapback]

Neh...I'm just gonna give up with Dell now. Waste too much of my time. I'll just try to get a return...only if they email me back and understand what i'm saying...

You know it's bad quality when you get 8 monitors all with the same problem...and they don't really care if I complain or not

I just talked to a dell CSR, he told me that I'll received a refurbuished 2005fpw but to he assured me that it's a new monitor label as "refurbuished" because of the tax law that if they send me a replacement monitor as "new" I (or them, I forgot), will have to pay the tax again. He also explained to me that a product is labled "refurbuished" when a previous customer refused the shippment when the product arrived at his door, so Dell will recycle that product as it retured to Dell and labled refurbuish.

I dunno if any of this is true or not, because to my knowledge that a refurbuish item is either had damage before but has been fixed, or it's been returned by the customer.

What should I do? Did you guys get a replacement labled as refurbuished as well?

I just talked to a dell CSR, he told me that I'll received a refurbuished 2005fpw but to he assured me that it's a new monitor label as "refurbuished" because of the tax law that if they send me a replacement monitor as "new" I (or them, I forgot), will have to pay the tax again. He also explained to me that a product is labled "refurbuished" when a previous customer refused the shippment when the product arrived at his door, so Dell will recycle that product as it retured to Dell and labled refurbuish.

I dunno if any of this is true or not, because to my knowledge that a refurbuish item is either had damage before but has been fixed, or it's been returned by the customer.

What should I do? Did you guys get a replacement labled as refurbuished as well?

585772245[/snapback]

With Dell their refurbs can be anything from what you said to any other return. Basicly if it goes out its a refurb when it comes back.

The sales tax thing is incorrect I think. There is no way you are taxed on a replacement. Thats like double taxation. It might be something Dell does for themselves though. Personally if it works and maintains warranty I wouldn't care if it says refurb.