Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

I ordered tuesday morning. Dell are keeping the 2005fpw's secret it seems. The phone people will tell you they don't have it, the website doesn't have it showing either. I had to dig, and ask them to check whether they had them for mine. The woman on the phone said it was one of the first from the introductory stock.

And i'll take loads of pics.

585027690[/snapback]

cheers mate,

so what screen did you have before?

Well I called Dell UK direct, and had to really ask for it to find out that it was in stock. They want to get rid of their 2001fp's at the moment you see.

Got an introductory offer of 566 quid including shipping :D

And even better, its arriving tomorrow morning  :D

And to those who don't know yet, it doesn't ACTUALLY show up on the website. You HAVE to call and ask for the specific model, and tell them to go check when they say its not on their computer systems.

D2Global: Oh my christ, do you have liquid gold pumping out of your pockets or something? That system is insane!

585027536[/snapback]

how can they sell it for 566? when the 2001 cost more than that???

or have i made a fool of myself and got it wrong?

Thanks for this great review, I decided to upgrade my 17" Samsung LCD's to these 20" wide screens from dell.. These things are the best! The stand is so flexable and its great to have the monitors up so high.. Thanks again for the review! Heres a link to the system.

Yes your not seeing things.? Thats 5 of them all powered by one machine.? Its one huge desktop.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/galle...owse.asp?ID=563

585027317[/snapback]

very nice Shane, oh and btw, Ultramon ****ing rocks!!!:):)::yes:s::laugh:h::D:D

how can they sell it for 566? when the 2001 cost more than that???

or have i made a fool of myself and got it wrong?

585027950[/snapback]

Well the 2001 direct from dell is 553 quid including shipping at the moment. Cheaper I imagine if you chat up the salesperson.

Thanks for this great review, I decided to upgrade my 17" Samsung LCD's to these 20" wide screens from dell.. These things are the best! The stand is so flexable and its great to have the monitors up so high.. Thanks again for the review! Heres a link to the system.

Yes your not seeing things.  Thats 5 of them all powered by one machine.  Its one huge desktop.

585027317[/snapback]

that's the kind of workspace i want!! :D

The Bad News: DHL officially/completely lost my original package (no suprise there) so no monitor coming in today....:/

The Good News: I'm currently on the phone with Dell, they are sending me a new monitor OVERNIGHT today...so i should have it tomorrow morning/afternoon :)

I really can't wait for this baby

::::now they are telling me there could be a 7-10 day delay!!! WHAT THE ****! MAN

:::so apparently i guess im waiting another week, which means dell has delayed my monitor already by a month....they gave me a 10% discount ($75)...and im trying to get another one, because technically, last week i was already promised a 10% discount, so hopefully, after all this bull****, im going to get this monitor for $498....hopefully, but i dunno....i will tell you this though, im never buying anything from Dell again

Edited by Meshuggah

cheers mate,

so what screen did you have before?

585027741[/snapback]

I had, and will still have a hercules 920pro 17inch prophetview, and its served me beautifully for a year. Now once this new monitor comes, I have to decide whether to sell it, or dual monitor.

Considering I probably need to sell it to fund the dell one, the dual monitoring has to really be good. Although I feel the clash in design will annoy me too much.

very nice Shane, oh and btw, Ultramon ****ing rocks!!! :):) :yes:  :laugh:  :D

585028148[/snapback]

I agree, been using it for over 4 years now, since i had 4 CRT's on a windows 98 machine!

Its a requirement if you use multimonitors!

-S

D2Global: Oh my christ, do you have liquid gold pumping out of your pockets or something? That system is insane!

585027536[/snapback]

LoL, nope not liquid gold, but i can tell ya, I have been developing using multimonitor systems for about 5 years now. I started with 2 CRT 17"'s and since have had, 4 CRT Sony 17" Trinitron's, then 4 15" LCD's from Viewsonic, then 5 17" Samsung 172N's and now 5 of these Dell 2005FPW's.. these dell's blow away the picture and colors on all of the previous monitor sets i have had. I do primary application development but sometimes get a chance to play a game. As far as development, I cant beleive how much additional space these monitors have added as far as desktop and work area. They get my vote!

Btw, throughout my total experience with multi-monitor systems I can say my work production increased everytime I added an additional monitor, all the way up until i added the 5th.. I now sometimes catch myself not utilizing all the space, so i know 5 is the peek.. The time savings is huge, no swapping windows, always have multiple programs open at the same time, copy paste, etc.. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Oh, and as far as gaming, I loaded up star wars galaxies after installing the DELL's.. You can setup galaxies to run in widescreen resolution, and WOW is all i can say about the picture, blew away the Samsung 17" 172n's.. Oh and i only play games on the single center monitor, cant expand em to all the monitors with the current video card setup i use.

reference link of system

LoL, nope not liquid gold, but i can tell ya, I have been developing using multimonitor systems for about 5 years now.  I started with 2 CRT 17"'s and since have had, 4 CRT Sony 17" Trinitron's, then 4 15" LCD's from Viewsonic, then 5 17" Samsung 172N's and now 5 of these Dell 2005FPW's.. these dell's blow away the picture and colors on all of the previous monitor sets i have had.  I do primary application development but sometimes get a chance to play a game.  As far as development, I cant beleive how much additional space these monitors have added as far as desktop and work area.  They get my vote!

Btw, throughout my total experience with multi-monitor systems I can say my work production increased everytime I added an additional monitor, all the way up until i added the 5th.. I now sometimes catch myself not utilizing all the space, so i know 5 is the peek.. The time savings is huge, no swapping windows, always have multiple programs open at the same time, copy paste, etc.. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Oh, and as far as gaming, I loaded up star wars galaxies after installing the DELL's.. You can setup galaxies to run in widescreen resolution, and WOW is all i can say about the picture, blew away the Samsung 17" 172n's.. Oh and i only play games on the single center monitor, cant expand em to all the monitors with the current video card setup i use.

reference link of system

585032911[/snapback]

yes, i have to agree with ike, where is doug? he has just been dethroned!

d2global: what are you developing? what do you develop in?

and how does it feel to have the most beautiful workspace in the world? :rofl:

585032928[/snapback]

I develop web based applications for various companies. Mostly work with Macromedia Development tools, as well as use the system to configure and monitor multple racks of servers. http://www.d2innovations.com

-S

on another note, I just got off the phone with dell. One out of the 5 monitors had a bad pixel in the upper right hand corner.. Called dell, they are sending a new one, and i just stick the bad one in the box and the UPS guys come and pick it up.. Now thats SERVICE!

-S

The Bad News: DHL officially/completely lost my original package (no suprise there) so no monitor coming in today....:/

The Good News: I'm currently on the phone with Dell, they are sending me a new monitor OVERNIGHT today...so i should have it tomorrow morning/afternoon :)

I really can't wait for this baby

::::now they are telling me there could be a 7-10 day delay!!! WHAT THE ****! MAN

:::so apparently i guess im waiting another week, which means dell has delayed my monitor already by a month....they gave me a 10% discount ($75)...and im trying to get another one, because technically, last week i was already promised a 10% discount, so hopefully, after all this bull****, im going to get this monitor for $498....hopefully, but i dunno....i will tell you this though, im never buying anything from Dell again

585029187[/snapback]

Don't be so harsh, it's not their fault that DHL lost it, and look how popular this is; you can't be surprised that they're running out of stock so quickly.

Don't be so harsh, it's not their fault that DHL lost it, and look how popular this is; you can't be surprised that they're running out of stock so quickly.

585034647[/snapback]

ummm, you dont know the whole story, ive had alreayd 3 1/2 weeks of delays with dell...only recently was the delay with DHL...but dell gave me the run around for a few weeks and ive probably been on hold alone for over 12 hours of total time....if you dont think thats insane, then go sit on a phone for 12 hours and see if you arent ****ed off

luckily though, today i was only on hold for an hour and a half...im not calling them anymore, i did what i had to do, and dell today issued me 140 dollars of coupons to this monitor....so im getting it for WAY under 500 now (not going to say the exact price though...but its a steal)

so yes, now im happy, now i just have to wait for the monitor, and hope there are no dead pixels on it when it gets here...if there are, i dont think im shipping it back for at least a month, i have an lcd with 2 dead pixels (black ones) and they honestly dont bother me