Ty Willingham coach of Notre Dame Fired

Willinghams not a great coach but was a good fill-in for the problem they causes by hiring O'Leary and firing him shortly thereafter. Urban Meyers ressurected 2 programs in 4 years (Bowling Green and Utah) Could possibly see Ty going to the Vacant BYU spot. Also rumors that Saban of LSU might be going to fill in the Browns head coaching spot.

Also, Notre Dames gotta lower their academic standards if they want a sucessful team, requiring a very high SAT score is no way to recruit football players, Any dummy can get into these bigtime schools....Notre Dames got the tools to entice any HS player just on the fact that every one of their games is televised nationally.

585023361[/snapback]

:blink:

Why should Notre Dame lower their long-standing academic standards just because athletes are getting dumber and dumber? That is insane. The whole academic standard excuse is just that...an excuse. It's a cop-out for the fact that the football program just is not attracting top players at the moment. The problem today is players are not realizing the value of an education - if you play football at Notre Dame, you play against the best and you graduate with the best.

Also, Willingham will not go to BYU. He's either going back to Stanford or to Washington. He is a much better coach than being stuck in a Mountain West conference, and I'm sure he wouldn't be thrilled in going to another religion-based school. He is not simply a "fill-in" coach...fill-in coaches don't go on the road to Knoxville and win, nor do they destroy a team like Michigan.

3 years to build a program is not enough, I don't care what happened at Utah. Every year ND has one of the top 5 toughest schedules in the country. Willingham got ripped, period.

my little sports rivalry nooblettes...

being an SC alum, there is ONE major, glaring, and HUGE reason he was cut loose. you do not, ever, under any circumstances, lose to USC by 31 points 3 years in a row.

it is, to alumni, unspeakable and perverse, and they would not stand for it. personally, i would have taken 20 more years of ty, which would have translated into 20 some years of SC thrashing ND.

he was a decent coach at a school that demands a level of excellence almost unheard of. and, as pointed out, he had to do it with students who actually did well in class...not the easiest thing to do.

its a job, he made a ton of money, and will end up somewhere else. he just didnt fit there.

ripped :laugh:

you do not, ever, under any circumstances, lose to USC by 31 points 3 years in a row.

585026214[/snapback]

What else do you expect playing the #1 team?

they werent #1 either of the other years.

585026503[/snapback]

Let's see...

This year: #1

Last Year: #1/#2

Other year: top 25

Looks like they were #1 pretty much all those years.

I was at the 2002 game at SC when Carson Palmer went off on the Irish defense (which was one of the best in the country before this game). What I saw this past weekend was the EXACT same scenario as 2002 - the Irish came out smoking, defense stuffed the run, SC had done nothing in the 1st quarter. 2nd quarter...it all fell apart. In fact, Palmer and Leinart had almost the same exact stats in their respected games.

Over 300 yards passing, over 3 TDs, all damage done in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters.

Now, if you want, you can blame Willingham. But as for me, my blame goes to the defensive coordinator and coaches, specifically Kent Baer (who, conincidentally, will be coaching the Irish in the bowl game). Even my brother-in-law, the die-hard Irish fan, called it last Saturday after the 1st quarter. He said the same thing will happen because the DBs were playing 10 yards off the ball and they had NO pressure at all on Leinart. Sure enough, game was in doubt after the 3rd. Defense let them down, again.

Let's see...

This year: #1

Last Year: #1/#2

Other year: top 25

Looks like they were #1 pretty much all those years.

585026548[/snapback]

seriously, from the early 80's til 2003, USC was a joke of a football team. you would not have beaten the irish for another 20 years. after this year or maybe next year, you will go back to being the joke of a football team you usually are.

seriously, from the early 80's til 2003, USC was a joke of a football team.  you would not have beaten the irish for another 20 years.  after this year or maybe next year, you will go back to being the joke of a football team you usually are.

585027088[/snapback]

ahahahahaha, USC is recruiting like crazy, and even if Chow decides to boot it for Stanford, they are getting talent like they did in the 70s. They are the new Gators and Hurricanes.

And, it wasn't until 2001 that USC even broke back into the top 25 consistently (in '99 we finished 49th at 6-6). Since then, we have climbed back into the picture and now own again. And last year, we slowly climbed to #1 by the end of the season. Willingham just got tied to a school that needs to find a way back to the limelight. And it won't be easy.

Ah, even nicer, I'll be at the game this Saturday at the Rose Bowl.

ripped :ninja:

oh, i see Michigan in your sig.

never mind, i was gonna post back, but since your dreams were smashed last Rose Bowl, can't really add more to make it any worse. (wait, i can, if you make it to the Rose Bowl on January 1st, you can lose to Cal this time!!!!, NICE)

:laugh:

oh, i see Michigan in your sig.

never mind, i was gonna post back, but since your dreams were smashed last Rose Bowl, can't really add more to make it any worse. (wait, i can, if you make it to the Rose Bowl on January 1st, you can lose to Cal this time!!!!, NICE)

:laugh:

585031508[/snapback]

yeah, the rose bowl sucked, i was there. honestly, i'm not expecting much, we have a true frosh at tailback and a true frosh at qb. and we are already there this year, just ordered my ticket last week. don't overlook ucla...or we could be having a rematch.

you can post back what you were really gonna say, i love talking trash ;)

as soon as you guys make it to a bowl game/have a winning season for 30 years straight, i'd love to continue this discussion :)

oh yeah, and wanna read something funny?

(regarding the ND game)

"This will be a USC's third home sellout in 2004, a school season record. Earlier games against California and Arizona State were sold out."

for having a #1 team, your fans are a joke...3 sellouts in 1 year is a record??

for having a #1 team, your fans are a joke...3 sellouts in 1 year is a record??

585032063[/snapback]

It is quite a big stadium :shifty:

I don't like USC, but they do have a good team.

URBAN MEYER to FLORIDA!!!!

wow, i'm really shocked by that.

so there goes ND's hopes...

i thought urban was in a contract that he could only leave for ND...?