[Definitive] Sony PSP Thread

Yep, says in first post (i think) that the games are region free but the UMD movie's are in region:):)

585088895[/snapback]

I think most if not all hand helds are cross region. The main reason for having diffrent region is the power supply which really only a problem with the larger systems.

Some more information on battery life. Lumines at Max brightness and Volume was good for 6 hours continuously, at which point the unit was plugged into AC and carried on playing whilst charging.

It went about 6 hours on max brightness and full volume. Then it was low so I charged it up while I Was playing.

So we've had first hand impressions now of a power hungry game like Ridge Racer (4-5 hours) and a puzzle game in Lumines (over 6 hours), it's all looking good to me!

Somre more detail on Ridge Racer:

The Setup:

The PSP reports 51% battery charge out of the box. The unit is used

(to play assorted games and videos) until it shuts down due to low

battery. It is then recharged to 100%.

Ridge Racers is inserted, and the AC Adaptor is unplugged. The PSP is

powered on and as the Ridge Racers logo appears, the clock is

started. The game is played continuously, with minimal time spent in

any menus and absolutely no replays watched.

The PSP is set to 75% max volume and brightness 3 (the highest

possible when using the battery).

Results:

At 3:45 - 3:48 (that's three hours and forty-five minutes) the POWER

light begins flashing slowly. Note that the light stays green, it

doesn't change color a la Nintendo's handhelds when the battery is

low--it flashes instead.

At 4:03:30, just over four hours, the game is interrupted by a

flashing low battery indicator, and the unit powers down.

So there you have it. Almost 4 hours exactly with max brightness and

more than adequate volume (especially if using headphones, which I

was not). Invest in a spare battery pack, and you've got no less than

8 hours of gaming (unless you're using the wireless adaptor, I

suppose).

can anyone see a USB peripheral camera in the future? i kno i can... or even memory stick.. but idont know if cams can get THAT small or if the psp can operate with the memory stick door open.

Well, Mercury will have a tilt sensor which I imagine will connect via USB and sit underneath, I see no reason why a camera couldn't attach to it. Something a la the VAIO cameras that are built into Sony Laptops, they're tiny. Opens the doors for loads of possibilities.

can anyone see a USB peripheral camera in the future? i kno i can... or even memory stick.. but idont know if cams can get THAT small or if the psp can operate with the memory stick door open.

585089397[/snapback]

there is this camera that i know of. for clie tho, and takes a memory stick slot. so its possible, just how long it takes for sony to release one for the psp, that takes a duo slot.

L58441.jpg

there is this camera that i know of. for clie tho, and takes a memory stick slot. so its possible, just how long it takes for sony to release one for the psp, that takes a duo slot.

http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/...ucts/L58441.jpg

585089932[/snapback]

I think that the hardware itself would work... the only thing I'm not sure about is how you'd install the software necessary to use Camera Features onto the PSP...

I think that the hardware itself would work... the only thing I'm not sure about is how you'd install the software necessary to use Camera Features onto the PSP...

585090037[/snapback]

u dont think they thought ahead and built it INTO the main chip? lol.. im pretty sure sony thought ahead...

http://psp.ign.com/articles/572/572563p1.html ~ Igns Battery Diarys.

DECEMBER 12, 2004

12:54AM: Turned On System

Following full recharge

12:54AM: Status Report

- Battery remaining: 100%

- Full brightness time remaining: 5:49

- Low brightness time remaining: 7:35

12:54AM: Played Games

Ridge Racers, Vampire Chronicles, etc., using system speaker set to full blast and screen alternating between minimum and maximum settings (videos look better when the screen is set to minimum)

1:54AM: Stopped playing games

1:54AM: Status Report

- Battery remaining: 89%

- Full brightness time remaining: 4:52

- Low brightness time remaining: 6:21

1:54AM: Turned Off System

3:30AM: Turned On System

3:30AM: USB and MP3

Transferred about 200 Megabytes of MP3 files to the PSP and used it as an MP3 player as I went to pick up another PSP unit. Had remote control and headphones attached to system. Listened to such artists as Prodigy, Utada Hikaru, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana, skipping tracks frequently as I determined that the PSP remote control and headphones suck.

4:30AM: Stopped MP3 use

4:30AM: Status Report

- Battery remaining: 76%

- Full brightness time remaining: 3:43

- Low brightness time remaining: 4:42

4:30AM: Turned Off System

6:00AM: Turned On System

6:00AM: Played Games

Played Minna no Golf and Armored Core at full brightness.

7:00AM: Stopped Playing Games

Noticed that remaining battery marker had fallen to two marks for the first time, so I wanted to check what the remaining battery was.

7:00AM: Status Report

- Battery now at two marks

- Battery remaining: 58%

- Full brightness time remaining: 2:35

- Low brightness time remaining: 3:05

7:00AM: Played Games

Continued playing Minna no Golf and Armored Core (low brightness for making videos)

7:45AM: Stopped playing games

Realized that you don't actually control mechs in Armored Core, so decided to stop playing.

7:45AM: Status report

- Battery remaining: 45%

- Full brightness time remaining: 1:39

- Low brightness time remaining: 2:07

7:45AM: Turned Off System.

We'll continue to track our battery use so you can obsessively determine how much battery time you'll get out of the PSP when you get your system in March. Stay tuned for updates in this space shortly.

u dont think they thought ahead and built it INTO the main chip? lol.. im pretty sure sony thought ahead...

585090432[/snapback]

Well, I think that if the possibility of attaching the Sony Cli? MemoryStick Camera were a feature of the PSP, Sony would have properly advertised it. And it hasn't. :rolleyes::

well they did show a keyboard, prob for IM in the future via wifi, and because theres MS, and photo viewing implimented in the XMB, it is hinted to us already.

they havnt shows us yet because they are prob workign hard on a cam? lol maybe so that other manufacturers arent quick to make a usb one or something.......

Im just waiting for Lik-Sang to pull my name up and let me know when mine is ready since on Sat I got the email to just sit back and wait for the confirmation email since I had on pre order since Oct 5.

Looking at IGN's diary there is encouraging to say the least, just under 7 hours and they stopped because they wanted to, not because the battery was low. To add to that, here's some pictures comparing the difference between Max brightness and Min brightness:

Max brightness:

post-2629-1102921799_thumb.jpg

Min brightness:

post-2629-1102921813_thumb.jpg

Viewing angle:

post-2629-1102921774_thumb.jpg

PSP lan party! :D

post-2629-1102921842.jpg