[Definitive] Sony PSP Thread

I've taken a few photos, I'll post a few small ones for now. I'm gonna carry on playing so there won't be a full review with HQ ics and movies for a few days at least.

The screen quality is in a different league. This is the DS at it's brightest and the PSP at 50% brightness, it goes to 75% and 100% then when it's running on AC there's an even brighter mode :s really puts the DS screens to shame.

It's a sight to behold and no internet pictures can do the machine justice.

585136621[/snapback]

Hmm, can you run XVID avi's without converting formats? By the looks of that...seems so. Any news on it's battery life?

i can say that the video playback for such a small screen is quite good...especially if the source before conversion was of high quality...think of it as a mini-lcd dvd player...

i'll try to do some vids tonight, but I need to find some hosting...

585137563[/snapback]

If they are under 2 mb then Ill see what I can do.

aite psp holders dazz and bacd, you guys got the right res for movies working yet or is it still stretched? and yes i demand some startup, menu, gaming vids please.

Dazzla, I've read that you can't (re)encode movies to fit perfectly in the entire screen and that you have to make them smaller then stretch them. Is that true? Did you purchase the value pack or system only?

PS: You're making me so jealous :p

Hmm, can you run XVID avi's without converting formats?  By the looks of that...seems so.  Any news on it's battery life?

585137581[/snapback]

Nope you have to encode them with a specific mp4 codec. Would be nice though, got a load of films encoded in xvid and divx to work with my pda, shame i would have to re-encode them.

aite psp holders dazz and bacd, you guys got the right res for movies working yet or is it still stretched? and yes i demand some startup, menu, gaming vids please.

585137712[/snapback]

well the default encode does not allow for WS, so the psp will stretch the id file, but it doesn't make this pictur elook weird because if th original file was ws, it was made non-widescreen in the conversion so many things look a little too narrow, but when you widescreen it on the psp they are back to looking normal again...

i'm hoping i didn't pack my firefire cable in the bags i sent to the airport today...if so I'll have to jury rig somethign for vids...

as far as battery life, it really does depend on the game...i have noticed RR depleats the battery faster because of the constant accessing of the graphics engine, followed by MGA and then lumines...again, after tomorrow I will be on a plane for 20 hours and i will have two batteries, so I will detail my battery times...

also dazzla...nm about the hardcoded subs info...i found it :D

cause dazz posted before about not able to encode in psp resolution, but rather in vga, and used software zoom on the psp player. thus with his picture about resolution, the picture quality radically decreased due to software zoom. i guess that hasnt been solved.

Ok, here's a vid showing the menu and video playback, it's a crappy one, and I'll be deleting it soon before I do the proper ones on the weekend.

It's a 4:3 video and I'm showing the original, zoom and full screen options. For 4:3 Zoom looks best, for 16:9 Full Screen looks best.

Right click to save, 5.27mb

Oh, and yeah, you have to encode at 320*240, but 16:9 content encoded at a decent rate fills the screen nicely and looks relly nice. I encoded all my vids at QB4 2 Pass and they look pretty good on the screen.

there is a battery life article published over at ign: http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p1.html

here is a summary:

full brightness, no ms usage, no wifi usage:

graphics intense play (speakers): 3h32m

low graphics demand play (headphones): 5h9m

wifi running ridge racer: 2h46m

sleep mode: more than 24hr

mp3 playback only: (not posted yet)

can i request a video of the psp of when its off, switched on and to when a game loads? i want to know how it starts up thanks.

well thanks to Dazzla's advertisement I will be getting one of these as soon as they are available in the US.

EDIT: forgot to add, Dazzla it would be nice if you could post a video of the console starting up all the way till a game loads, just want to see how long it takes.

Holy crap that looks awesome. I want one sooooo bad. Too bad if I spent that much money on it, my girlfiend would rip my head off and feast on the goo within.

there is a battery life article published over at ign: http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p1.html

here is a summary:

full brightness, no ms usage, no wifi usage:

graphics intense play (speakers): 3h32m

low graphics demand play (headphones): 5h9m

wifi running ridge racer: 2h46m

sleep mode: more than 24hr

mp3 playback only: 10h39m

585138818[/snapback]

i couldnt edit my post so heres an update to the mp3 playback hours (screen off, headphone full vol, wifi off, umd off, ms constantly read): 10h39m

Looks like mine and Dazzla's PSPs were on the same flight from Lik-Sang - Mr UPS delivered mine at 9:30 yesterday morning :) Ahh, the joys of having this week off work!

I'll echo his sentiments - you think the machine looks good on internet photos... and then you hold one in your hand... It's so light (without the battery in it), the screen is just HUGE - it's so crystal clear, loading times aren't even an issue (if you're used to any disc based console) and the whole thing simply has the wow factor.

Just need to get me a USB cable and a nice big MS Duo and then I can start filling it up with movies and stuff!

I noticed a few people asking for movies of the thing booting up...

PSP Bootup - 11MB Quicktime, Useless quality

I took a quick movie using my Digital Camera - it shows the PSP from cold boot, going into the main title screen of Ridge Racers...

Hope this is of some use - excuse the poor quality, this is uncompressed and straight off the memory card...

I noticed a few people asking for movies of the thing booting up...

PSP Bootup - 11MB Quicktime, Useless quality

I took a quick movie using my Digital Camera - it shows the PSP from cold boot, going into the main title screen of Ridge Racers...

Hope this is of some use - excuse the poor quality, this is uncompressed and straight off the memory card...

585139138[/snapback]

Fast mirror! Thank You 120kbps

thanks for the engadget link and video of bootup.

edit: even though the unit was in front of a huge light source which made it hard to seee.