[Definitive] Sony PSP Thread

Uh, I doubt it. Why can't you just go to the store and pick it up when it comes in?

585180247[/snapback]

because im so used to buying online and having THEM deliver it to my house overnight. no waititing in lines and all that stuff you know.

because im so used to buying online and having THEM deliver it to my house overnight. no waititing in lines and all that stuff you know.

585180261[/snapback]

You would still have it faster if you would wait in that line (usually for a game launch, for instance, there is no line at all - and like I said even if there is a line you can still have it faster than buying online).

Edited by Danrarbc641

You would still have it faster if you would wait in that line (if there even is one).

585180323[/snapback]

lol...i agree about your first part, and teh one in parenth. is just stupid.

Your lazy, become a true gamer and wait in da line.  I did for Halo2, 6 fricken hours in the cold.

585180300[/snapback]

im not lazy. its just i dont have a car and its a pain in the ass trying to look for a ride so i spend the extra 5 bucks to et them to deliever it to my house.

What the? What did I say?

The part in parenthesis is refering to the fact he's "used to buying online", meaning usually for most game launches there is no line in a store. I wasn't making a comment about the PSP launch, I know it'll do very well and stores will have midnight launches with long lines, this thread alone is proof of that.

What the? What did I say?

The part in parenthesis is refering to the fact he's "used to buying online", meaning usually there is no line in a store. I wasn't making a comment about the PSP launch, I know it'll do very well this thread alone is proof of that.

585180364[/snapback]

its hard to tell if you had a sarcastic attitude when your online. you need to correct that.

get out of here with your nintendo fanboyness. why arent you playing your DS? maybe cause IT SUCKS!!  :yes:  :yes:

585180340[/snapback]

with that logic, why haven't you imported the PSP from Japan by now if it was so great? maybe cause IT ISN'T! :rofl: :cool:

with that logic, why haven't you imported the PSP from Japan by now if it was so great? maybe cause IT ISN'T!  :rofl:  :cool:

585180492[/snapback]

i have tried importing it but all stores are sold out!! i got my 600 dollars here waiting for the next shipment of products but with the current tsunamis in asia and the loss of 22,000 lives it will be a while! why dont you go back and touch your DS like you wish you could touch a woman! PWNED!!!! :woot: :woot:

Target, why not just preorder there, since you also talked about a line forming already for preorders, and have your mom pick it up when she goes to work?

585180577[/snapback]

they ran out already. they dont want to false advertise a preorder when they cant redeem it. so im looking elsewhere. my mom didnt know i wanted a PSP until after that happened. she thought i wanted a DS. she must have been smoking crack. lol

Back on topic,

Few hours ago I had no interest in either a PSP or a DS (totally avoided any media coverage or talk about it). After getting into a conversation with a friend that got a DS, I decided to read up on the two and seeing all the PSP videos and this thread I'm really interested in it :blush:

Don't really know if I want one yet since I'm viewing it more as a gadget for movies/music than as a gaming console

Personally I think this is just another nail in the Nintendo coffin, considering they make the most profit from there gameboy series, and this is in direct competition with the Nintendo DS which appears to be an able system but not able enough to compete with the PSP

Personally I think this is just another nail in the Nintendo coffin, considering they make the most profit from there gameboy series, and this is in direct competition with the Nintendo DS which appears to be an able system but not able enough to compete with the PSP

585180734[/snapback]

Well, the DS does play GBA games, so developers can choose to develop for the GBA and make money off both the GBA crowd and the DS crowd. And to be fair, the PSP is superior to the GBA, so if Nintendo didn't release something new, the PSP could have done better then its going to do now with competition.

Please stop this needless fighting.  :no:

Attempt to regain topic: Anyone know if the PSP will support other audio formats like OGG or AAC?

585180679[/snapback]

If it's firmware upgradable then it probably will if Sony changes their stance on audio compression again, remember until recently they didn't support MP3 at all now they do.

But theres only so much room for firmware, so maybe adding support would take up too much space? I personally don't see it happening, they probably don't want to push any open source codec like OGG or any codec that Apple uses.

Glad to see this thread getting back on topic. (Y)

Yes. Changes and improvements were made from the originally announced PSP specifications, released July 29, 2003. The most specific change was that its memory allotment was bumped up from 8MB to 32MB (which also includes 4MB of embedded DRAM and 2MB of VRAM.) A number of other changes have also been made to the operating system and design. And because the original specs were intended for developers and publishers ready to create titles, while the E3 2004 specs were intended for public disclosure and investor relations, a large number of technical details were omitted from the original 2003 specs for ease of read. Many of the final technical aspects are known to still be accurate to this original announcement (and were most recently confirmed to be accurate at Sony's Hot Chips 16 PSP presentation), but current technical details have not been publicly released, and specifics may have been altered for the final PSP.

For those not able to understand the techno mumbo-jumbo spelled out in the PSP specs, what it all boils down to is that the PSP has a whole lot of power, portable system or otherwise. At GDC 2004 in April of 2004, Christ Charla (of the development outfits Digital Eclipse and now Backbone Entertainment) said at the handheld's tech demonstration unveiling conference: "Polygon for polygon, PSP has more power than PS2 ... A huge number of effects that are given to you in software on PS2 are available in hardware on PSP." And all indications at the E3 unveiling were that the system would indeed meet those lofty heights -- the preliminary box for Gran Turismo 4 Mobile stats that the game quality, "...is not at all inferior to its PS2 counterpart."

While most familiar with the hardware say it would still be unfair to put the typical PSP and a PS2 or current-generation console game side-by-side in a professional test and expect the two to match up or favor the handheld version in technology terms, the advanced graphics processor technology of the PSP used to draw just enough to fill the pocket-sized screen means that PSP games will have more than enough power to create the kinds of vast 3D worlds, humanistic characters and cinematic effects that today's advanced games require.

not me to be honest. I want an 8 sequel.

Anyway, I'll be in Tokyo, going to all the great places like Akihabara, Ginza, Tokyo Disney, and I'll also be going to Niigata.

Why Niigata? It's that time where I have to meet the parents. They dont speak English so it's going to be tough. I'm hoping to just take a cake, so Arabic sweets, and chocolates to butter them up. Ive been with Aiko now for almost three years (she used to be Capcom's Chun-li at the Tokyo Game Show 2000)

I just want to go there for a culture change, I'm tired of reading all this crap about it being a Hentai nation since it's a general misconception.

I already have 7 people offering to guide me around, but to be honest, I just want to be with Aiko no matter where I am (sweet? yes)

On a side note: I've received two PM's from people asking me to buy them PSP's if they can send me the money.

I guess I could make this offer to everyone as long as I can get 10 pounds profit (is that fair?)

But it's only to people in the UK since that's where I live.

As soon as I go to buy my own PSP, I'll check the prices as well as the average price of games. I'll then post it here on this thread. Anyone interested should send the money to my account with a reference (their name) and as soon as I get back I'll mail it. I'll also check the PSP's in the store to make sure that there are no faults.

I guess I need to take a huge backpack with me (I've heard that alot of people were robbed just a few moments after buying the PSP!!)

Its an open offer and the only reason I need to wait for the money to arrive in my account first is because I've been saving like mad and I dont want to have to spend any of my own money.

As for the PSP, I'm hoping to get it in my hands with a fresh Nintendo DS (black if found) (gave my older one to my sister for Christmas)

i hate it when I cant edit my old posts...

Anyway,

Seems like a standard PSP and three games (lumines, golf, and Ridge Racers) should be around 200 pounds.

(if not less)

I think Ill only be able to help 5 people, because I dont want to be stopped at the airport with a huge amound of PSP's.

Two people have already 'booked' two spots. Three spots left.

@Dazzla, I've asked Aiko to check how much 1GB memory sticks are. When she emails me back I'll let you know.

by all means, you can fill up a spot Daz, I've got two more open and three filled.

(sorry for not mentioning that I could do this earlier, couldve saved you money!)

The only player in the portable gaming market has been Nintendo for some time now. While the Game Boy Advance is a fine system and its Nintendo DS is a new and interesting alternative, gamers have been clamoring for console-like quality and gameplay experiences from their handheld for some time now. Sony is delivering that with its PSP, recently released in Japan.

Not only does the device bring PlayStation 2 level graphics to a handheld gaming device, it also plays movies and music either via a memory stick or a UMD disc. The screen is large (and nice) enough that the PSP is a legitimately multimedia-friendly product, enabling people to switch from watching a film to playing a fully-realized 3D version of Madden on the same system. I expect the PSP to take off like a rocket when it's released and change what people think handheld gaming systems are capable of.