[Definitive] Sony PSP Thread

Actually the DS uses the GBA chip for other functions, such as a dedicated sound processor, when playing DS games, and the port is for planned accessories.

When both these things are already in the system for other uses, it makes sense to let you play GBA games.

585203457[/snapback]

Well then what I'm saying is since the PSP video playback function is used in games to play cut scenes and the likes as well, why not allow people to watch their own movies on it? Surely without it the price would be very similar anyway.

Plus the PSP is native widescreen, the DS screen isn't. Watching a movie would be much larger/better on the PSP. I'm sure there are many people who would benefit by having this function and it's much easier to transfer from DVD to MSDuo than Manic suggests.

Well then what I'm saying is since the PSP video playback function is used in games to play cut scenes and the likes as well, why not allow people to watch their own movies on it? Surely without it the price would be very similar anyway.

Plus the PSP is native widescreen, the DS screen isn't. Watching a movie would be much larger/better on the PSP. I'm sure there are many people who would benefit by having this function and it's much easier to transfer from DVD to MSDuo than Manic suggests.

585204260[/snapback]

I was gonna say exactly the same. If we're going down that route then the PSP can use MPEG4 for it's cutscenes within games, might as well have the facility to play your own movies.

And like I've demonstrated, from the DVD disc to the PSP in 2 single steps. Man that's hard...

Who in the right mind going to go to all that trouble to watch a movie on a dinky screen?

585201066[/snapback]

I've converted loads of my DVDs to watch on my PocketPC, so the option of being able to do the same thing with the PSP, but on a screen about a thousand times better, is a major selling point to me! I spend hours on trains (allegedly working!) so the ability to watch films, listen to music AND play games on the same device is great! I'll be getting one as soon as I can afford it.

And just for the record, I have nothing against the DS, but I can only afford one handheld (if I'm lucky) so my choice is gonna be a PSP... Sorry Manic!

Dazzla, Semi bad news. Apparantly 1gb duos are only available in the US. That doesn't mean I wont be able to find it Japan though, I'm sure a store will have a few imports. (funny isn't it? Going to Japan for an import)

I'll keep you updated.

Damn that sucks, I've just been told they're not going to arrive in the UK for another 4-6 weeks. ?88 for a 1GB stick here:

http://www.flash-memory.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=208

585204666[/snapback]

Dissapointing that PSP does not support compact flash or SD cards like the GBA/DS media player, they are more available and cheaper.

Dissapointing that PSP does not support compact flash or SD cards like the GBA/DS media player, they are more available and cheaper.

585204938[/snapback]

because sony would abandon there own format for a competitors.

585204938[/snapback]

Dissapointing that the DS does not have built in video playback facilities, like the PSP.

Dazzla, Semi bad news. Apparantly 1gb duos are only available in the US. That doesn't mean I wont be able to find it Japan though, I'm sure a store will have a few imports. (funny isn't it? Going to Japan for an import)

I'll keep you updated.

585204654[/snapback]

What? I just bought two 512 duos yeterday! :devil:

I feel really angry now, arrgh.

Dissapointing that the DS does not have built in video playback facilities, like the PSP.

585204966[/snapback]

owned...

anyways, on topic, still no word from sony about a US / EU release ey? Any upcoming press-conferences or something?

585204966[/snapback]

First, please reply with one post.

Second, not everyone wants playback on a video game console.

Third, GBA/DS media player add-on has video/music playback (SD/CF), uses mpeg4 and lasts in battery performance longer than the PSP, more than 15 hours for mp3 music.

There are third party versions out already, and official nintendo version will be out in januarty.

owned...

anyways, on topic, still no word from sony about a US / EU release ey? Any upcoming press-conferences or something?

585205004[/snapback]

I'm surprised too, i thought the PSP was rumoured for release in January in US? :/

First, please reply with one post.

Second, not everyone wants playback on a video game console.

Third, GBA/DS media player add-on has video/music playback, uses mpeg4 and lasts in battery performance longer than the PSP, more than 15 hours for mp3 music.

There are third party versions out already, and official nintendo version will be out in januarty.

585205012[/snapback]

When you're a moderator, feel free to tell me how to reply, and i'll listen.

Not everyone wants playback, so they can just pay the $50 + SD card price? However cheap the SD cards are, i bet once you add the actual adapter premium it isnt much cheaper.

still no word from sony about a US / EU release ey? Any upcoming press-conferences or something?

585205004[/snapback]

Amazon UK has had a listing for the PSP for a few weeks now. They seem to be reporting a March 18th 2005 release date, so I assume that's what they're suppliers are telling them. All liable to change of course :cool: .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...8496982-1345205

When you're a moderator, feel free to tell me how to reply, and i'll listen.

Not everyone wants playback, so they can just pay the $50 + SD card price? However cheap the SD cards are, i bet once you add the actual adapter premium it isnt much cheaper.

585205052[/snapback]

How so, that 50$ price is already included in PSP, and not to mention if you have seen 1 gig MS duo pro prices, they are overly ridiculous, and costing as much as the PSP itself here in Canada.

So unless, there is a miracle with Sony and they lower it's memory card prices (divine intervention), I don't see how you can say that. Plus, the availability of Sony memory is very scarce.

How so, that 50$ price is already included in PSP, and not to mention if you have seen 1 gig MS duo pro prices, they are overly ridiculous, and costing as much as the PSP itself here in Canada.

So unless, there is a miracle with Sony and they lower it's memory card prices (divine intervention), I don't see how you can say that.

585205073[/snapback]

not everyone needs 1gb storage, the 512Mb sticks are fairly priced.

And with the PSP demand will be much higher, so prices will be driven lower for Memory Sticks.

So unless, there is a miracle with Sony and they lower it's memory card prices (divine intervention), I don't see how you can say that. Plus, the availability of Sony memory is very scarce.

585205073[/snapback]

I'll probably just get 256mb with the 32mb stick that is already with it that's enough for me... 32mb for savegames and 256mb for a couple of small vinds... like Dazzla said, he managed to get stargate eps down to aprox. 100mb...

not everyone needs 1gb storage, the 512Mb sticks are fairly priced.

And with the PSP demand will be much higher, so prices will be driven lower for Memory Sticks.

585205086[/snapback]

PS2 price is still high even though it had and still has tremendous demand. I don't see how increase in demand would lower prices.

Sony as with all its new consoles sells them at a loss, so there is no way we will see price drops in memory. Sony is betting on regaining some of its losses by selling potentiel PSP customers like you UMD music/movie discs.

88 pounds looks like a great price.

and manic, it doesn't make sense, the memory cards aren't made for the PSP. They're made for MANY devices, so it doesn't depend on the PSP's sales!

PS2 price is still high even though it had and still has tremendous demand. I don't see how increase in demand would lower prices.

Sony as with all its new consoles sells them at a loss, so there is no way we will see price drops in memory. Sony is betting on regaining some of its losses by selling potentiel PSP customers like you UMD music/movie discs.

585205102[/snapback]

Ps2? wtf? totally irrelevant.

Also, i believe the 1Gb sticks are fairly new, hence the high prices. But tbh, ?90 isnt that extreme is it?

585205102[/snapback]

150 Euro's high for a PS2..? It's competitively priced when you look at an xbox or a GC... there all (nearly) the same price (with the GC being the cheapest... )