[Definitive] Sony PSP Thread

Sony has announced that electronics giants Samsung and Sharp are to provide the LCD screens for its forthcoming PlayStation Portable console, in a deal which could be worth up to ?330 million annually.

An unnamed official from Japanese firm Sharp confirmed the deal to Bloomberg Japan, but declined to provide exact details of the order quantities - stating only that the scale of the contract was "huge" - which, in the context of a company as large as Sharp, is a meaningful statement in itself.

While officials from South Korean firm Samsung and Sony itself declined to comment on the supply contract, Samsung's last earnings statement in January mentioned a major project related to small LCDs which would make game consoles and PDAs, rather than mobile phones, into the largest target market for sub-10" screens.

IDC technology analyst Stanley Jeong told Bloomberg that the contract could be worth $400 million (?330 million) annually to the two LCD manufacturers, and could also create further opportunities for the supply of LCD control chipsets. The scale of the order - which is obviously an incredibly important deal for both companies, despite the fact that they are already world leaders in the LCD market - gives an insight into Sony's ambition for PSP, which the company has previously described as the 21st century's Walkman.

Tis jus wat i read! Im not fussed wat screen, I jus want a PSP!!:D :D

Dear PSP Fanatics..

I need some help and advice please.

I'm in the UK and want a PSP value pack at the best price. However, not sure

whether to wait for the UK release or go for an import.

As already stated, I can pick up the value pack from expansys for ?245.85 (inc VAT and delivery)

However, I can't findany websites in the UK offering the value pack for sale as yet.

Amazon.co.uk are selling the standard UK pack for ?179.99 but no signs anywhere

for the value pack?

So question do i wait till uk launch?? or pay expansys and get one..

anyone know how much the value pack will retail for in the UK anyway?

Cheers

K

Dear PSP Fanatics..

I need some help and advice please.

I'm in the UK and want a PSP value pack at the best price. However, not sure

whether to wait for the UK release or go for an import.

As already stated, I can pick up the value pack from expansys for ?245.85 (inc VAT and delivery)

However, I can't findany websites in the UK offering the value pack for sale as yet.

Amazon.co.uk are selling the standard UK pack for ?179.99  but no signs anywhere

for the value pack?

So question do i wait till uk launch??  or pay expansys and get one..

anyone know how much the value pack will retail for in the UK anyway?

Cheers

K

585383131[/snapback]

fanatics?:ninja:a:

pprree oorrddeerr kk?

i say wait a month.

The DS will be sold for 100 pounds so I'm assuming the PSP for 130.

It's only a month though.

If you cant wait and have money to spare go ahead.

I just bought a brand new Slim Line. ( i noticed it has an iR port which I dont know what to use it for)

On a side note

I JUST FINALLY REACHED LEVEL 32 on LUMINES!

TOOK ME AGES!

I JUST FINALLY REACHED LEVEL 32 on LUMINES!

TOOK ME AGES!

585385769[/snapback]

Nice! I think it was level 107 I got up to last time; with a score of 384,401. I've now unlocked all 24 skins in challenge mode, and a bonus one.

holy crap! 107?!

Any tips or advice on strategy?

Side note:

Anyone who ordered a 1gb from mobilefun got it yet?

585390710[/snapback]

just got lumines today, very funky game, just need to work out how to play it well! any advice is appreciated

btw i emailed mobilefun and they said they are receiving stock of the 1GB sticks on feb 7th

holy crap! 107?!

Any tips or advice on strategy?

Side note:

Anyone who ordered a 1gb from mobilefun got it yet?

585390710[/snapback]

The best strategy is to keep at it. ;) It just "clicks" after a while of play, and you'll find yourself improving on your score almost every time you have a go.

You want to try and take your time to build up big combos, as well as trying to clear off one colour, or even better the entire screen. You get 1,000 bonus points for removing all of one colour, and 10,000 for clearing it completely. I was once lucky enough to start with three of the blocks that are just four of the same colour in a row; that was an instant 30k points!

I often wait until just after the bar has passed before placing down blocks, that way if you get another tile you can add to it, you can build up your combo easier, rather than rushing it.

of course you mean weekly sales and not overall.

585394678[/snapback]

He did say "week", not "overall".

By the way, mobilefun.co.uk told me the 1GB sticks should arrive feb 5...so hopefully all of us (at least three of four people seem to have ordered one) will have that amazing 1GB Pro Duo stick somewhere next week. :yes:

i know he said week. But it sounded like it was like he said it was leading two weeks over all in a row rather than leading the weekly sales. Must have been just my understanding.

Didn't mean to make you feel sensitive Goldrusher.

As for my 1gb stick, I'm wetting my lips thinking about all of the content I'm going to add.

i think im dropping the idea about buying a psp in march. i mean, its such a big investment. the unit, ms, games. and theyre gona update it very soon, seeing the fact that there is so much potential behind this unit and the first release is so 'basic'. if i buy it in march, id be dropping 200 for the unit, another 150 or so for the ms (1gb for sure, vids mp3 etc) and prob 200 for a couple of games. this sucks, but ive made my decision.

ill wait till everyone holds one and the features are more explored and released.

just my thought at the moment. :(

The update is for current psp, It should cost around ?170 in the uk and 1GB memory sticks are only ?91 in the uk oh and games will sell for the same price as GDS games some at ?25 and some at ?30 :)

i think im dropping the idea about buying a psp in march. i mean, its such a big investment. the unit, ms, games. and theyre gona update it very soon, seeing the fact that there is so much potential behind this unit and the first release is so 'basic'. if i buy it in march, id be dropping 200 for the unit, another 150 or so for the ms (1gb for sure, vids mp3 etc) and prob 200 for a couple of games. this sucks, but ive made my decision.

ill wait till everyone holds one and the features are more explored and released.

just my thought at the moment.  :(

585398352[/snapback]

Good idea. Im doing the same.

Just read an article in GameTM. PSP's are being bought out by the Chinese Mafia who are trying to make the units scarce and then sell them for a mega high profit.

Apparantly they're the ones who bought 60-70% of all PSP's.

I dont know if you can find an online source for it, but you could always google it.

Just read an article in GameTM. PSP's are being bought out by the Chinese Mafia who are trying to make the units scarce and then sell them for a mega high profit.

Apparantly they're the ones who bought 60-70% of all PSP's.

I dont know if you can find an online source for it, but you could always google it.

585406576[/snapback]

I read something like that in edge, they employed homeless people to que and buy multiple units then had runners pay them and then load up van fulls of psps.

Thats one reason alot of the import machines were so exspensive.

ok people the news we've been waiting for

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news) (news - web sites). said Thursday it will release the PlayStation Portable in North America on March 24 and have 1 million units ready for sale in the first week.

The PSP game machine, a challenger to Nintendo (news - web sites) Co.'s long-standing grip on the handheld video gaming market, will be sold as a "value pack" for $249 in the United States and $299 Canadian dollars. It will include numerous accessories and a copy of the "Spider-Man 2" movie on the new Universal Media Disc format that Sony designed for the PSP.

Sony said it has already shipped 800,000 PSPs in Japan, where it went on sale on Dec. 12 for about $190.

By comparison, Nintendo's newest product, the Nintendo DS sells for $150. It was among the must-have Christmas gadgets, with 1.5 million sold worldwide since its release in late November.

The PSP is designed, however, with more multimedia features. It can play digital music, movies and display photos on its 4.3-inch color display, using Sony's proprietary 1.8-gigabyte UMD discs or a Memory Stick.

Sony said 24 game titles will be available around the time of the launch with prices starting at $40 each.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._hi_te/sony_psp

spiderman 2?

the gamestop website preorder bundles come with a pelican starter pack, which is the same stuff that comes in the sony value pack. do you think they will change this? i won't need 2 sets of headphones, 2 screen cloths, 2 cases, etc.

ahhhhhhhhhhh

i need to get a preorder in somewhere......