Longhorn Unknown Features

I am well aware that Longhorn is alpha but does anyone know or have any rumours about what will make this OS different from XP?

The eye candy seems to be the biggest selling point at this point since WinFS is gone and will be well past Longhorn's release.

Why should anyone buy Longhorn when it is released.

Does anyone have any information?

Avalon was going to be a huge feature that made Longhorn different from XP, but now they're going to have it available to XP users :( Honestly, at this point, I don't see any reason to buy Longhorn when it does come out.

Avalon was going to be a huge feature that made Longhorn different from XP, but now they're going to have it available to XP users :( Honestly, at this point, I don't see any reason to buy Longhorn when it does come out.

585199045[/snapback]

All Avalon will do on XP is let you run programs made for Longhorn, that is all. It will not make XP look like Longhorn.

well, altough WinFS has been dropped out, longhorn is still going to have a better search system than xp currently has.

Selling points: new Look&Feel ; Indigo ; Support for new kind of devices (and new kind of experiences with those devices) ; A more unified way of handling common app's things, like notification, bookmarking elements in text and etc. ; MANY more to come that we don't know of :)

u got the alpha??

585199104[/snapback]

lol anyone can get the alpha http://msdn.microsoft.com

The picture is small... I can't tell what you mean.  :no:

585199115[/snapback]

well theres no taskbar, theres a sidebar and the startmenu is on the desktop so i think its going to be good enough to spend money on.

All Avalon will do on XP is let you run programs made for Longhorn, that is all. It will not make XP look like Longhorn.

585199074[/snapback]

The point is, Microsoft should not give XP any Longhorn features. It's stupid on Microsoft's part! All I know is that when Longhorn comes out, Microsoft is going to have to really persuade me to buy Longhorn.

The point is, Microsoft should not give XP any Longhorn features. It's stupid on Microsoft's part! All I know is that when Longhorn comes out, Microsoft is going to have to really persuade me to buy Longhorn.

New user interface (Aero): Only on Longhorn.

Software made for Longhorn: Will work on XP but will run slower then on Longhorn.

Internet Explorer 7: Only on Longhorn.

Hardware accelerated interface: Only on Longhorn.

Major security advances: Only with Longhorn.

WinFS: Only on Longhorn, but will come out later.

Lots of other stuff: Only on Longhorn

Looks good to me. :yes:

Software made for Longhorn: Will work on XP but will run slower then on Longhorn.

585199344[/snapback]

Recent interviews with Microsoft state that WinFS might never come for Longhorn because it would be too hard to integrate it into an already compiled system, nothing is for sure tho. There's no such thing as IE 7 at the time, as far I've read no one knows for sure if the LH version of IE will be version 7.

@WinMacLin

I don't think it would be any different with Longhorn to be honest.

Recent interviews with Microsoft state that WinFS might never come for Longhorn because it would be too hard to integrate it into an already compiled system, nothing is for sure tho. There's no such thing as IE 7 at the time, as far I've read no one knows for sure if the LH version of IE will be version 7.

585199380[/snapback]

I read the article too, it was an interview on C-NET with Bob Muglia, the guy who is responsible for Windows Server, he said WinFS has turned out to be more difficult than they expected because its not a database and indexing service running on top of NTFS, its whole new datamodel.

Creating that datamodel seems to be the big issue, which ultimately means WinFS will not be here until the end of the decade, meaning Blackcomb is the new target for it.

I read the article too, it was an interview on C-NET with Bob Muglia, the guy who is responsible for Windows Server, he said WinFS has turned out to be more difficult than they expected because its not a database and indexing service running on top of NTFS, its whole new datamodel.

Creating that datamodel seems to be the big issue, which ultimately means WinFS will not be here until the end of the decade, meaning Blackcomb is the new target for it.

585199400[/snapback]

Yup :yes:

585199344[/snapback]

Firefox Mozilla better than IE6.0 and any future IE7.0 Crap

OS which is driving the system as games do...retarded...

Major security advances...makes me to laugh... The last thing I need i Microsoft Antivirus, and other crap. Even security center was too much. It's good for noobs...

WinFS hm hm

Lots of other crap for which much better alternative exist...

Longhorn = Windows XP with a new cosmetic surgery and some replaced internal organs which does the same but only looks different and added some annoying crap which 80% of the people will remove except Dell users and other noobs.

All I'm interested in is WGF 1.0 to install on my Windows XP and yepppyyy :)

Even Windows XP themes is too much. Mine looks like Windows 95.

Microsoft lost the sense and forgot the purpose of the OS as it was defined years ago.

I wonder what overclockers will say when they encounter the case where because of OS's fancy animations the temperature of the video card is high, and all because of some retarded reason to show 3D windows on your desktop. The point is that as a user you will be nothing more efficient with 3D window than using regular Win95 window, and then all comes to the question what's the point? Except maybe, 3D window is more eye appealing, but actually not really...And again Longhorn will have security holes just like Windows XP had. The funny side of it you gonna see IE security update, or critical Longohorn update what leads me to the conclusion that Microsoft focuses to build 'Hollywood Entertainment crap' with old diseases...

Firefox Mozilla better than IE6.0 and any future IE7.0 Crap

OS which is driving the system as games do...retarded...

Major security advances...makes me to laugh... The last thing I need i Microsoft Antivirus, and other crap. Even security center was too much. It's good for noobs...

WinFS hm hm

Lots of other crap for which much better alternative exist...

Longhorn = Windows XP with a new cosmetic surgery and some replaced internal organs which does the same but only looks different and added some annoying crap which 80% of the people will remove except Dell users and other noobs.

All I'm interested in is WGF 1.0 to install on my Windows XP and yepppyyy :)

Even Windows XP themes is too much. Mine looks like Windows 95.

Microsoft lost the sense and forgot the purpose of the OS as it was defined years ago.

I wonder what overclockers will say when they encounter the case where because of OS's fancy animations the temperature of  the video card is high, and all because of some retarded reason to show 3D windows on your desktop. The point is that as a user you will be nothing more efficient with 3D window than using  regular Win95 window, and then all comes to the question what's the point? Except maybe, 3D window is more eye appealing, but actually not really...And again Longhorn will have security holes just like Windows XP had. The funny side of it you gonna see IE security update, or critical Longohorn update what leads me to the conclusion that Microsoft focuses to build 'Hollywood Entertainment crap' with old diseases...

585200092[/snapback]

I think the Windows Classic Theme needs some drastic improvements except for everchanging lighter pallete. I hope they give it that Flat Office XP Professional look in Longhorn with the same Classic look of course.

freak_power: it's called innovation and taking it to the next level. it's not exactly exciting to look at the same interface for years after years. and since we have the hardware to take advantage of its power, why not utilize it? it's not as if they are forcing you to stick with something. in a word, it's called "advancement".

oh, win95 looks like crap, can't believe you use something as ugly as that. as for the losing the sense and purpose of the OS... you're on windows aren't you? still running and working? i thought so. maybe you should make your own OS then.