Upgarded laptop to SP2 and net wont work

I updaetd my friends P3 Laptop to SP2, and now the internet will not work.. with dialup or with broadband

firefox and IE wont load. connectiosn shows the connection there but when i go to a website i get the same error

i reset all the websettigns and stuff

it says

"This page cannot be displayed"

no matter what site

automatic detect settings is on

please help i need to fix this like NOW and i cannot format it.

Looks like you aren't going to have much of a choice but to format or use system restore in the long run. Next time you work on someone else's computer, know what you are doing first.

I know what I'm donig. Ive been working on PC's my entire life, and I followed all of the guidelines, he was having this problem before, but I fixed it with a simple deletion of cookies. There has to be a way to fix this without formatting. So dont treat me like a newb. I scanned for everything using Spybot, AdAware, and M$ Anti-Spyware Beta 1. And AVG/Norton.

A person with more posts making a stupid reply, is more a nub than a person with one relevent post. Didnt I already say I cannot format? Dont be a jerk.

Your initial post had a lot of indents and mispellings/grammatical errors, so I assumed that you are a newbie. Cant you use system restore, like I said before?

Sorry, I am typing with one hand because my rist is broken. And I was in a rush then.

It was disabled, and when I enabled it it only did a restore point after it, so I cant restore before it. Already tried.

I did a system repair with windows xp /sp 2 disc

I know you have tried this, but go ahead and temporarily disable the firewalls. SP2 enables firewall by default, and if there is another it may just be a conflict.

No I have not treid pinging, however my SMC Router does detect it. I cant figure out how to bloody log into it. it says that i cant do this that and the other unles im logged in but there is no option to log in. I am a newbi to norton i will admit that

I was just able to use nortan live update.. and downlaod updates, could it be internet security blocking it ? how can i tell?

585333492[/snapback]

Since norton had compatability issues. After the update did you restart? Sorry for the dumb questions but without being there its hard to troubleshoot.

OK, is this a wireless connection or Cable. Just trying to narrow down the error. Just a thought but try turning off autodetect. I have one more idea if this doesn't help.

Update ... Try disabling Norton internet security. Then check the internet.

Lets start with the basics -- do you have an IP address? What do you mean by your router does not detect it? Are we wireless or wired. If wireless - lets try wired to get everything working - then you can move to wireless, etc...

Before you can go anywhere - you need to have an IP address. So lets get that working first... Since you mention a router -- setup the box on the network, and ping the router. Then we can worry about what else does not work, etc..

Not to rub salt in a wound or anything - but;

I know what I'm donig. Ive been working on PC's my entire life

Does not make a lot of sense considering your post, and the details you give. You have been working on them your whole life, and you do not even know the basics of troubleshooting? If you can not get to some website -- you need to establish you have network connectivity, you need to establish that you have name resolution, etc.. It does not look you have done any of this, or given the required info to the people trying to help you.

Telling us you have tried Firefox and IE is about as good as saying -- "computer broke, make work" No matter what browser you use, you will need connectivity for starters, and name resolution to go anywhere - so lets start there!

Well. I was in a rush and typing with one hand. So give me a break.

Anyway, I wasnt asking for the basics, I know all the stuff about my router and other problems it could have been, I was asking for any deep advice an advance user may not have thought of in a rush.

It just turned out, that for some reason my SMC Router gave two cpu's the same IP address, and the computer one.