The Hotfix Depot

Don't start going on about no need to release a full version! :angry:

There was plenty that needed to be added, changed, and fixed in the last full release. I for one are fed up with the need to collect various many months of different band aids and patches just to bring Autopatcher up to date. I think it got a bit silly last time, and makes AP far too "eliteist" to be used by the masses.

At worst there should be a full version every other month. The idea of having to collect 3-5 months of different types of patches is almost as bad as having to use Windows Update in the first place!

i,

I believe that the Flash 8 player has already been upgraded to version 8.0.24.0 in last months release.

If this is the case then there are no new updates from the May bulletin which affect APXP.

There are a few other updates which have been listed in this thread and elsewhere which could be included in APXP however it doesn't seem to be enough to warrent a full version release this month.

If the plans are to include KB905474 (WGA Notification) then KB892130 (WGA) is still required to access online downloads and Windows / Microsoft Update.

I have prototype modules for KB892130, KB905474 and Windows Update v6 if anyone want's them for testing and I am working on a module for Microsoft Update.

Regards

Simon

Flash 8.0.24.0 needs to be updated in the AutoPatcher. They did not change the version but fixed a problem that pervents the computer from running Flash as a user (as noted in the document).

There was plenty that needed to be added, changed, and fixed in the last full release. I for one are fed up with the need to collect various many months of different band aids and patches just to bring Autopatcher up to date. I think it got a bit silly last time, and makes AP far too "eliteist" to be used by the masses.

At worst there should be a full version every other month. The idea of having to collect 3-5 months of different types of patches is almost as bad as having to use Windows Update in the first place!

And it's a pain for people to distrobute, bandwidth costs money and all of the mirrors provide it to the team free of charge.

If you want to donate your bandwidth to help, feel free :)

It's only just became a problem recently then?

I have no problem uploading it to Rapidshare, for others to download from. I would love to help you guys out, but not all of us have the luxury of our own web server, although my ISP provides 200Mb webspace, I don't know if that would work, or help. There have already been comments from some of the people that already host AP, that they would not mind hosting a propper full release every month.

So can I take it that there is no full release this month? If not, then I really think you guys should consider making a propper timetable of releases, at least then, we all know where we stand.

Because AutoPatcher includes all updates since SP2, every month the full releases get bigger...

It's true that there are v ery many generous people willing to donate their server's bandwidth, and people seeding the torrents - I know on the torrents alone that over 2 Terrabytes of data has been transferred and I'm almost certain that more people download from HTTP than bittorrent.

There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument. but ultimately it's the person/people doing the releases that decide (Blaze, Gondolas et. al.) whether or not a full release happens, not you or I :)

If there was some program that could slipstream Update versions into Full version, Full versions won't be necessary at all - maybe every 6 months or so - and cumulative updates would be a piece of cake, becuse they'll almost always be <50 MB (I think) - OK for modem download and OK for bandwith; if Full versions are such pain in the bottom. But what I wanted to say is...

There are many new updates. Just read the page 13 and 14 carefully. :cool:

I've checked KB900485 and it really is a new version, v2. So the old one from Apr 06 release needs updating. :)

And I ask again, could anyone explain to me why are the 4 new themes included in x64 version, and NOT included in x86 version? :unsure:

^ the themes are not included because i havent had time to look at them and there not important!

---------

a few things ive already got noted to be done in the june release:

2K:

check 818043 is the latest installer

2K3:

update 904706 setup file

check if latest setup file: 904942, 912154

add verison number to name field to: 898060

XP:

update setup file: 904706, 886716

check whether 896344 is latest version

add version number to name field for: 893357, 896344, 896626, 900485, 904412, 906569

add 884883

and PsiMoon314, you never sent me those modules for mu/wu v6, if you do email me them (theblazingangel at aol.com) ill have look at them and see if i can include them int he next release.

New update for wmp10 on windows xp: 918886 Replaces 911565.

Also, on the list for Windows 2000, please remove 887797 as it is replaced by 911567.

the_guy

Hi All,

New update for wmp10 on windows xp: 918886 Replaces 911565.

This new update also appears to replace KB 912452 as the WMP.DLL version included this hotfix is older that the version in the new update mentioned above.

Kind Regards

Simon

It only replaces 912452 for WMP 10. 912452 for WMP 10 should have been already removed as it was replaced by 911565v2.

912452 replaces 911565 on Windows 2000.

the_guy

Update for Windows XP (KB918005)

Battery power may drain more quickly than you expect on a Windows XP SP2-based portable computer. Install this update to address an issue where a Windows XP-based portable computer may not have as long a battery life under certain circumstances when certain USB 2.0 devices are connected.

Date Published: 5/16/2006

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918005

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Update for Windows XP (KB918093)

Sri Lanka will change the basic time zone (?Sri Jayawardenapura?) from GMT +6:00 to GMT +5:30, effective April 14, 2006. Install this update to enable your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

:)

New WMP hotfix for XP/2003/x64

917821-FIX: The Windows Media Audio 9 Voice codecs leak trace amounts of memory during the encoding and decoding process

Note: In the article, it says an update ir for 2000 and XP, but that is a typo. That update is for XP only.

the_guy

Hi,

That makes at least three hotfixes now for WMP10 (and similar for WMP9).

Perhaps it would be a good idea to give WMP9 and 10 their own nested sections in AP so all of the WMP updates are listed in one place.

Kind Regards

Simon

Hi,

That makes at least three hotfixes now for WMP10 (and similar for WMP9).

Perhaps it would be a good idea to give WMP9 and 10 their own nested sections in AP so all of the WMP updates are listed in one place.

Kind Regards

Simon

I don't think it would be a good idea, it really isn't necessary. This is probably an exception, the new WMP hotfixes don't appear so often - maybe every few months or so, like the IE or OE ones. And WMP9 support isn't necessary any more, there is WMP10. :huh:

Are WU/MU modules advancing?

Hi All,

There appears to be a new release of the WGA files for Windows XP.

KB892130 has been updated to build 1.5.530.0, the previous version being 1.5.152.0

The direct download for this new WGA "hotfix" is: WGA Direct Download ( KB892130 )

I will update my update my WGA modules for APXP later.

These modules have been sent to Blaze, so I assume he will include them in APXP June.

If anyone out there has attempted or finshed modules for Microsoft Update (MU) or Office Update (OU), please let me know. I would be interested in discussing the best ways to detect prior-installation of these for APXP 5.x

Kind Regards

Simon

Let me see if I get it right.

KB892130 v1.5.152.0 will be included in AP June. Windows Update v6 or whatever also. And OU not.

Right? :)

@PsiMoon314, I think that KB892130 is updated again, since I had to update it two times since your last post. Please check and update your module. :)

Please. :D

@xyz123,

Yep, I am on the case and I have been updating my modules for KB892130 and KB905472.

I suspect they will update regularly as MS does it's best to close off the workarounds which are being discovered in various circles to bypass the WGA checks.

Once the folks who are developing the workarounds give up and get on with something more useful I am sure that MS will stop releasing updates for WGA and WGA-NT.

I have attached the latest versions of my hot fixes, so you can test them to check that detection etc is working correctly.

As always no guarantees that these hot fixes will work for you or won't cause serious issues with your PC! :shifty:

Unpack them into your "Components" folder and you should pick them up as unofficial modules.

These hot fixes are not hacked or patched in any way so these cannot be use then to bypass WGA.

Frankly I'm not interesting in do that myself, if you have a copy of XP you should have a valid licence for it.

Kind Regards

Simon

P.S Is it just me or does anyone else have issues with the Neowin Forum not responding or loading pages when using Firefox 1.5.0.3 ? It takes forever sometimes to load a pages or react when pressing using "Show Preview" in the Message Editor. In addition I cannot attach a .ZIP file so I will have to sort this out later.

Edited by PsiMoon314

P.S Is it just me or does anyone else have issues with the Neowin Forum not responding or loading pages when using Firefox 1.5.0.3 ? It takes forever sometimes to load a pages or react when pressing using "Show Preview" in the Message Editor.

pages do load a little slow, but don't "take forever" (not taken literaly), and preview post doesnt seem very slow at all for me. perhaps it was a one off, high server load, or your system/ff cache just needs a little spring cleaning? :shrug:

although it did take ~40sec to post this.....

Hi Blaze,

Thanks for comming back to me and letting me know what you are seeing.

Postings do seem to be taking some time so can this be reported to anyone to see if it can be resolved?

Perhaps the hampster needs feeding or the elastic band on the server needs winding up? :)

Kind Regards

Simon