Password protect folders

AFAIK its not possible.

Do this:

Convert drive to NTFS (if necessary).

Remove all access rights to the directory in question (All users, authenticated users, admins etc)

Add permision for your local account only, full access.

There, no other user accounts can get access to its contents.

Obviously that relies on you using NTFS, and an account per user.

Jon

It is not even comparable re:security though.

NTFS file permissions are deepbly embeded in the file system, where as that is (I'm assuming) a gui level approach, which could be bybased pretty easily.

Not tried it though, we arn't allowed/going to use tweakui in the corporate environment at work.

Jon

The only reason not to convert is that it adds a whole new level of 'complicated stuff' to using windows.

The user now has to worry about (or *should* worry about) acess rights to dirs, they are overwhelmed with new features they dont need, such as EFS,disk quotas.

Thats the only reason I can think of, i'm all in favour of NTFS, you can hide things easier ;)

Jon

with tweak xp, you can deny access to protected folders. in addition, it can disable the command prompt to further increase security. that's all i know. i wouldnt know how to override this or anything. maybe others do. anyways, the reason i dont convert is that i'm on a network with win 98/me users so i heard that if i convert to ntsf, files cant be exchanged between my sys and theirs so im stuck.

al92tl1, I've heard that NTFS will slightly increase the speed. I don't know anything in detail on this. You also can use built-in file encrypting feature if you converted to NTFS.

Here is the difference between FAT32 & NTFS...

NTFS is resistant to fragmentation, and provides enforcable security fuctions (such as read access, etc).

FAT32 is slightly faster for desktop use (not for large files such as A/V work), and is compatible with every modern OS from Win95 OSR2 onwards, but very vulnerable to fragmentation.

Because of the negligable speed differences, choose NTFS if you want the security aspect (multi-user system etc), or FAT32 if you're not fussed :)