Google Map Beta now online

The directions are bad in Chicago for me. All of my coworkers get told to take backroads to work instead of highways. They are doubling my travel time if I listen. :lol:

It -is- beta though.

People need to stop complaining about other countries not being included and bugs in the system. It says right on the site "BETA." Have people forgotten what that means?

I find it dead on though. I searched for my parents new house, built less than a 2 years ago, and it pops up. It doesn't show on ANY other map program I have ever used. Also, the width of the roads is beautiful to give a sense of proportion. The dot of the pin was more dead on then the tip, but it was maybe 100 yards off. Not bad.

For a new beta map search, this is stellar. I like the simplicity of the interface over any other map program I use. Yahoo maps has always given me the best results, but I hated the interface and it was relatively slow. Of course, AAA members can get really great map search from the AAA website. (you need a membership number to access the maps section).

Google looks like they're really on the right track.

This is awesome! I like being able to scroll the map without reloading the entire page every click and to have excellent response times. The roads are clear to read and the shadow effects are nice. Just missing traffic conditions.. but probably in time..

If you think that's awesome (and yes I agree it is!), check this out - Keyhole

You'll see that the technology used in Google Maps is derived straight from Keyhole....well you will if you download the trial and play with it. If you've got a decent hi-speed connection, you'll spend hours on it, trust me! I've always been into satellite mapping though and paid for the full thing, so maybe it's just me :laugh:

Anyway, Google bought Keyhole last October and this is obviously one of the things to come out of that. Don't be suprised if they add even more over time.