Google Map Beta now online

http://operawatch.blogspot.com/

Here we go again, yet another Google service is incompatible with the Opera browser.

Google released today Google Maps, which offers road maps and directions. It makes heavy use of (the non-standard) Java Script and DHTML (and XSLT).

Opera follows the Java Script standards that are provided by standards bodies, such as the W3C. Companies often make their own proprietary extensions to these standards, making it sometimes difficult for Opera to render the page properly.

This is not Opera's first run-in with Google. In versions prior to Opera 8.0, Gmail didn't work properly. Gmail introduced XMLHttpRequest, which is not currently part of a standard, forcing Opera to implement XMLHttpRequest support in version 8.0. XMLHttpRequest started as a proprietary extension to Internet Explorer.

Blogger (owned by Google) doesn't work in Opera 8.0 neither does Google Suggest.

If you're unhappy with Google's treatment of Opera, let them know about it.

No UK version?

585433374[/snapback]

hahaha, you can click-drag for miles trying to find Europe apparently the Earth is flat and there's nothing for thousands of miles except North America?!?

(note, I did only click-drag 3/4 screens. Why not try more? You never know there may be another continentm perhaps Googolia or something :)

For some reason, the maps don't display on Firefox :unsure:

585448476[/snapback]

works fine in firefox!

and for everybody askign for non uSA versions:

it's a bloody beta - they will support the USA first and later add more data before they go public

Enter a city near you outside of USA and it takes you there. I entered Toronto and it took me to the right map, and I was able to roam around pretty much everywhere.