Generate electricity with case fan?

I got a question from a kid today and I thought maybe one of you could help me out with this one. His question is:

"Is it possible to reverse the function of a case fan, so you can produce electricity with it?"

Instead of using electricity for the cooler to blow air, he wants to use wind to generate electricity from the case fan. (Like wind energy)

I don't know much about physics :blush: , but maybe some of you do...

Any help is appreciated.

windmill.gifBlack%20Case%20Fan.jpg

If my memory serves me right, yes, it would be possible. There is a basic rule for electricity, magnets and movement. When you combine any two if these, the other is produced.

So, for example, you apply electricity to a coil of wire around a magnet, movement occurs. There you have an electric motor.

Then, if you move an coiled wire, with an electric current flowing, you have an electromagnet.

So therefore, apply movement to a magnet within a wire coil, electricity is generated. This would be the instance you are asking about, the same principal as the wind farm pictured.

I hope this answers your question. I've surprised myself here. :blink:

Assuming that it would produce electricity, It would generate AC Power so you'ld have to run the electricity through a Diode Bridge before you try to power the other fan you want to (The CPU fan I think you want to do). But assuming that it would produce electricity at all, the amount would be so small, that it wouldn't be enough to power another fan at all.

You'ld have more luck if you had your computer in direct contact with the wind inself rather than converting it to electrical energy at all. You could funnel the wind into some PVC Pipes, with some Air Filters, and feed it directly into your case. I don't know about keeping a constant flow of air though. Maybe even have Case fans pushing air at either end of the PVC pipe to keep it going. That is if you are really interested in harnessing the Wind around your area rather than saving energy.

Edited by Quick Reply

It would be such a small load it wouldnt power anything though, once you coiled the fan there would be too much resistance to keep RPMs where needed

585480626[/snapback]

In practical terms you are right. The question was if it is possible to generate electricity, which it is. Obviously, if you wanted a useful amount of current, you'd need a much bigger fan, and a lot of wind.

If my memory serves me right... I've surprised myself here.  :blink:

585480614[/snapback]

Wow, that is a great answer :yes: Thanks a lot!

He doesn't want to power anything, we were just wondering if it is possible. And it is!

Assuming that it would produce electricity, It would generate AC Power so you'ld have to run the electricity through a Diode Bridge before you try to power the other fan you want to (The CPU fan I think you want to do). But assuming that it would produce electricity at all, the amount would be so small, that it wouldn't be enough to power another fan at all.

You'ld have more luck if you had your computer in direct contact with the wind inself rather than converting it to electrical energy at all. You could funnel the wind into some PVC Pipes, with some Air Filters, and feed it directly into your case. I don't know about keeping a constant flow of air though. Maybe even have Case fans pushing air at either end of the PVC pipe to keep it going. That is if you are really interested in harnessing the Wind around your area rather than saving energy.

585480636[/snapback]

He's right, lol.

THe output of the fan (by the time it passes the diode bridge) will be so low, that it isn't worth it.