MSN Messenger

I know everyone hates this software but...

Is there a way of geting it to works behind a NAT device. I have the ability to allow access through my firewall, but which ports does it use, or is it possible at all?

Just curious. Postcards to the normal address please

Many thanks

Originally posted by silly_walk

I've never had a problem with the chat portion of Messenger thru a NAT, just the video, audio etc., but the port to open is 3389 if I remember correctly.

No, port 3389 is for Terminal Services. MSN Messenger uses Port 1863

Originally posted by pinhead

No, not everyone hates MSN Messenger at all.

Originally posted by NTLDR
Originally posted by silly_walk I

know everyone hates this software but...

Yeah, that's what I though. I don't know why he said that. MSN messenger is very popular in these forums.

Welcome to Neowin as well NTLDR :)

Originally posted by NTLDR

No, port 3389 is for Terminal Services. MSN Messenger uses Port 1863

Originally posted by silly_walk I

know everyone hates this software but...

You're right, I always mix them up. Also, I never said people hated Messenger, pinhead did. :D

sorry - didn't quite make myself clear did I ?

The chat is fine through my NAT device - just the video and file transfer thats not working !

MSN Messenger uses Port 1863 for videoconference and sound?

I got a router with all ports closed, so if I open that port I could make videoconference right?

Originally posted by silly_walk

You're right, I always mix them up. Also, I never said people hated Messenger, pinhead did. :D

Sorry, an error in my post there, corrected now ;)

pinhead, try a program called HTTP tunnel (download link) that may allow you to use the file transfer in MSN.

Originally posted by Dazzla

Welcome to Neowin as well NTLDR

Thanks Dazzla

Originally posted by pinhead

Is there a way of geting it to works behind a NAT device. I have the ability to allow access through my firewall, but which ports does it use, or is it possible at all?

Just curious. Postcards to the normal address please

Many thanks

i don't hate it and there are plenty of updates to get it to work, but the real way is to have a uPNP NAT Device.

here they are

Windows XP Real-Time Communication Client Support for Network Address Translation (Q316397)

SYMPTOMS

Real-Time Communication (RTC) client communications may not work if the client is located behind a Network Address Translation (NAT) device. The hotfix that is described in this article enables NAT-aware programs to configure the RTC API to use the correct address and port when it sets up the audio or video streams. After you install this hotfix, clients that are located behind the NAT device can use audio and video communications with other clients or gateways that are located outside the NAT device. Note that this hotfix does not help clients that are located behind a NAT device to connect to the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) server. This hotfix does not enable Microsoft Windows Messenger clients that are located behind a NAT device to use audio and video with each other. However, the hotfix does enable Windows Messenger clients that are located behind a NAT device to communicate with phone gateways.

CAUSE

The RTC client was not originally supported behind a NAT device.

also here is the main site that you're looking for

Windows Messenger in Windows XP: Working with Firewalls and Network Address Translation Devices

GRR

I've tried EVERYTHING with my D-Link 804 router.. it wont fecking work :( I'm thinking of getting a new one or something.... I've tried assigning my comp as DMZ whatever, and I've opened all kinds of ports... audio/video conversations, NOR filetransfers work, whatever I do?!!! what the heck should id o???

Originally posted by PRLYago

GRR

I've tried EVERYTHING with my D-Link 804 router.. it wont fecking work :( I'm thinking of getting a new one or something.... I've tried assigning my comp as DMZ whatever, and I've opened all kinds of ports... audio/video conversations, NOR filetransfers work, whatever I do?!!! what the heck should id o???

you should read this entire thread before posting. The answers to your dilema are closer than you think ;).

MSN Messenger uses Port 1863 for videoconference and sound?

I got a router with all ports closed, so if I open that port I could make videoconference right?

No One answers :( :(

I just wanted to step up and say that I am a big fan of MSN Messenger. Why? The people that I want to IM all use it. To me it doesn't matter which one I use, the people I am IMing is far mroe important then the software.

Originally posted by xStainDx

you should read this entire thread before posting. The answers to your dilema are closer than you think ;).

Did read it... quite a few times actually. Tried everything posted and it didn't work. Any other advice?? Please god I'm dyng here :0

hi, ive tried forwarding 1863 and it still didn't work

i portscanned my computer while trying to send a file, it said it was listening on port 6891 so i forwarded that too

still nothing ! anyone know if it uses any more ports ? or UDP too