Router Console Port

i have a console port on my router and i was woundering what its used for? and how can i use it? do i haft to use linux or windows or what program?

Use the Hyperterminal utility on windows start/accessories/communication folder, you will need a special cat5 cable and a converter to use the com port of your computer. You will then be able to login to the router in a command line (dos, unix) type environment to manipulate configuration.

Use the Hyperterminal utility on windows start/accessories/communication folder, you will need a special cat5 cable and a converter to use the com port of your computer. You will then be able to login to the router in a command line (dos, unix) type environment to manipulate configuration.

585581552[/snapback]

i cant just use a standerd serial cable from the console port to my port on the mobo?

You need a rollover cable, where one end is CAT5 and one end is a DB9 serial link.

585581593[/snapback]

Yer, those are the ones, been a while since I took Cisco. Could not remeber the technical termology.

You need a rollover cable, where one end is CAT5 and one end is a DB9 serial link.

585581593[/snapback]

what does the cat5 end plug up to? the computer and then the serial to the router?

The CAT5 end plugs into the console port, and the serial end plugs into a COM port on your computer.

585581601[/snapback]

my console port is serial not cat5

33-129-009-09.JPG

:blink: Well I've only used Cisco routers, and they all have a CAT5 connector for the console port. What model router is that?

:blink: Well I've only used Cisco routers, and they all have a CAT5 connector for the console port. What model router is that?

585581629[/snapback]

its a SMC barricade 7008ABR

I've had a DSL modem that had a normal serial port for a terminal connection, so it's not unheard of, but it's also not what you have on your router. The serial port on your router is supposedly for connecting an old serial modem, which I assume would act as a backup if the normal WAN link went out. It doesn't seem to have a purpose as a configuration interface.

You could get really creative with your configuration, have it dial a machine and then configure it over that connection but as far as plugging directly into the cosole port to configure it, I don't think you'll have much luck.

this depends on the router, so check the manual, but sometimes you can just access the commandline configuration interface through telnet. This will be the same as using your console port, except you don't have to use a serial cable or have your pc next to the router. You can access the router's configuration interface from anywhere on the network. Just open up a dos window and type "telnet 192.168.x.x" (your router's IP, ie usually your DFG when you do an IPCONFIG in Windows)

Try a null modem cable and verify the pinouts in the user manual if that doesnt work. Some routers have a slightly different variation in pinouts.