Mount St. Helens BLEW ITS TOP!

the plume is 36,000ft right now

585589200[/snapback]

no it's not...at approximately 5:25pm today it was somewhere around 25,000 to 36,000 feet high....right now it's flattened out mostly (but still spewing)....and a few more smaller plumes are coming out

lol i luv this, because we had msnbc, cnn, all the big shot news people in town watching that dam mountain for a month because of them ###### eruptions now this 36,000 foot eruption there all gonna return in hopes again LOL drrr

How safe is it to be downwind from the volcano and breathe all that stuff in anyways?

Hoepfully, there won't be an event as large a magnitude as the last.

Here's file footage for the little ones that I found:

http://www.kirotv.com/mountsthelens/index.html

(well, I was only 2, but I've seen footage before).

This erruption, makes the volcano look like it just 'farted'. The 1980 one is like an atomic bomb. Even military pilots couldn't believe it!!!

I think someone needs to change the subject of the thread...

Mount St. Helens did not "BLOW ITS TOP". It's simply spewing plumes of smoke.

BLOWING ITS TOP, would be a massive eruption followed by plenty of lava flow / debris.

I knew about the plumes of smoke, and yes the plumes of smoke deserve some publicity, but when I saw this thread I thought something tragic had occurred.

Whomever posted this needs to spend some time being a little less energetic and little more accurate.

God dammit!!!

Last time it blew I wasn't quite born yet, this time I am out of the state so I am missing it again. :angry: :angry: :angry: :cry:

damnit i wish national news channels would cover this...tired of watching small fuzzy video

585589294[/snapback]

I completely agree.

damnit i wish national news channels would cover this...tired of watching small fuzzy video

585589294[/snapback]

hey, i like watching fuzzy small videos. :D j/k. although i still think it's weird that cnn.com doesn't even mention this yet.

From the USGS ...

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Cascad...nt_updates.html

Mount St. Helens Information Statement,

Tuesday, March 8, 2005, 6:00 P.M. PST

A small explosive event at Mount St. Helens volcano began at approximately 5:25 p.m. PST. Pilot reports indicate that the resulting steam-and-ash plume reached an altitude of about 36,000 feet above sea level within a few minutes and drifted downwind to the east-northeast. The principal event lasted about 30 minutes with intensity gradually declining throughout. The USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory lost radio signals from three monitoring stations in the crater soon after the event started. The cause of the outage won?t be known until scientists can visit the crater tomorrow to assess the situation, weather permitting. The event followed a few hours of slightly increased earthquake activity that was noted but not interpreted as precursory activity. There were no other indications of an imminent change in activity.

The current hazard assessment for the ongoing eruption mentions the possibility of such events occurring without warning, and the assessment remains unchanged. The eruption could intensify suddenly or with little warning and produce explosions that cause hazardous conditions within several miles of the crater and farther downwind. Small lahars could suddenly descend the Toutle River if triggered by heavy rain or by interaction of hot rocks with snow and ice. These lahars pose a negligible hazard below the Sediment Retention Structure (SRS) but could pose a hazard along the river channel upstream.

they built a special dam to help ease the lahars (raging mud flows) that come down the toutle river.. Got friends that live on that river, there probly got the hell out of there house LOL